New guy about to take the plunge

Hello everyone I’ve been lurking on these here fourms for a while and I have decided to give this growing a try. A bit about me retired Air Force living in the deep south in a very unfriendly state. I have used exactly 2 times in my life mostly because the AF would crucify me if I used and I refuse to buy from anyone.

My intention is to grow both outside (80%) and inside (20%). For inside 2x4 tent, 6" fan/filter and hlg 260xl. I’m thinking one plant at a time in the tent. Outside I’ll probably do 2 or 3 plants at a time.

My biggest fear is humidity down here average annual RH here is very high and I’m afraid I will lose a lot of material and drying/curing will be very difficult.

Anyway I haven’t purchased anything except seeds (Bergman’s Gold Leaf) and so far I am loving this page.

9 Likes

I got some good leafs growing right now and are fantastic. I think you’ll like them. Best of luck in your grow.

4 Likes

You sir have come to the right place, never seen such a good group of respectful people. They answer questions with no judgement what so ever, enjoy the info your about to receive :+1::+1: good luck with your grow !!

6 Likes

Welcome @Clay77, I joined last January just after deciding to grow.

Best growing decision that I have made. Gold Leaf was in my first grow as well. Very successful with the generous help from everyone on the forum. Without help, my plants would likely have died or produced grams instead of ounces.

There a number of folks here that grow in your region and should be able to assist with controlling rH in both your indoor growing and drying areas. Outdoors, air flow!
Happy Growing!

8 Likes

I actually suffer from the opposite, dry and cold :confused: but it works out great during flowering :smile:

4 Likes

That’s good to know my biggest concern currently is the number of 100% humidity days I’ll be dealing with.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great growers here happy to help. If you are in veg during the high humidity months you should be fine.
Happy Growing!!!

4 Likes

Just like to say welcome and thanks for your service.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Clay77
You in the right place for help
There’s not much you can do about the humidity
Make sure they have plenty of air flow threw canopy

3 Likes

They are all high humidity months lol. 52 degrees and 51% and sunny its actually beautiful right now. If I set a plant outside at what temp should I put it inside at 45 or below?

1 Like

Welcome to the group! I’m not an outdoor grower, but a few things I’ve picked up along away. Will try to help if I can. As far as indoor growing goes, you should really like that light a lot! Setting up a decent sized dehumidifier in room your tent is in will help control the humidity of intake air, should help quite a bit.

6 Likes

First off, you’re an incredible person, thank you for serving. Now that you’re retired you should have every right to grow and consume. Cannabis has been shown to be effective in the treatment of PTSD.

I’ve only been to the south once, New Orleans and the humidity was intense so you’re right in assuming it could be a factor. Which state are you in?

I haven’t heard of your seeds yet but I’m definitely hoping you get lots of females in your first batch. Will you give your seedlings a sex test or will you just wait until sex begins to show in a few weeks?

1 Like

I’m about 80 east of NOLA in Mississippi.

2 Likes

The questions is weather or not the wife will allow the tent in the house or garage. I’ve been looking at a few of your posts and frankly that’s why I am going to buy that light.

4 Likes

Fortunately enough, plenty of great grows with them here to review.

You’ll be in a lot better shape inside, but garage growing can be done. Not sure about summer months in your climate. But you could probably sneak a couple of indoor harvests in and take the dog days off from indoor. Focusing most of your summer on outdoor stuff.

2 Likes

If you’re wife is anything like my partner you better start clearing out the garage LOL! 80 east of NOLA already sounds pretty humid. is it like that year round?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Clay77 indoor growing is where it’s at. No bugs. And less
Humidity. Look forward to your grows!

5 Likes

@Clay77, I’m also fresh to the forum, but I must say, you will not find a better group of guys and gals to guide you in which ever route or decisions you chose to make/take. Welcome to the family and thank you for your service sir.
Happy growing!

2 Likes

So far it has been a great place for me to learn and see others work. @dbrn32 that 260xl is $340ish on hlg’s website can I build it cheaper than that?

1 Like

Probably. Depends on how you go about building. I believe you can get boards for $75 and slate 2 heatsinks for $20 each. The hlg-240 driver runs about $70. After shipping and what not there’s probably not a lot of savings there to purchase frame materials, wiring, and connectors.

However, if you don’t mind changing up components a little. You can grab 4 pack of qb120’s for $120. Same driver is still about $70, but you don’t need any heatsink material. So you’re in the neighborhood of $200 needing same stuff.

The biggest variable would be what you pay for frame materials. Most of use 3/4 or 1" x.125 wall aluminum angle. You’ll need about 10’ going with option b. If you walk into home depot for that and hardware it’s going to cost probably at least $40-50. If you can score some cheap or laying around would lessen the cost of build substantially. The only other stuff you need is hookup wire, a power cord, and connectors you can grab on Amazon for maybe $25. So call option be around $225 plus any shipping, plus your frame.

2 Likes