New Grower - worried about first grow progress

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: ILGM White Widow Auto

• Method: Nature’s Care Organic & Natural soil

• Vessels: 3 Gal Pots

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) Unknown, need clarity on what runoff is

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable: No nutes used yet

• Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor

• Light system: Feit Electric 32 watt Full spectrum LED

• Temps; Day, Night: 75 F constant

• Humidity; Day, Night: Unknown

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: small fan to move air

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,: warm mister runs in room 24/7

• Co2; Yes, No: No

Started 3 seeds and above pics are of the 2 that are still going. The one that died was stretched for light and I think my LED wasn’t wide enough for 3 plants (light is 2 footer) They popped out of soil on 2/6/2021. The light is 6 inches from top of the plants. No nutes used yet. I did the mist method for watering, but today gave about a half cup each. They were on 24 hour light cycle, but went 18/6 on 2/21. I’m worried that my babies are behind the growth curve. Kindly advise if they are behind growth curve or if I have too many first time jitters. Thanks!

3 Likes

Very large container for a small plant , hard to control correct watering , maybe put them in a red cup for now …

I understand your point, thank you! However, after they germinated, I followed this instruction: “After they sprout, they should then be transplanted to their final growing medium. After this, do not transplant them again if you can help it as autoflower plants are small and are vulnerable to greater transplanting shock.”, found here: How To Grow Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds Complete Guide
I’m not sure what to do now. For their age, are they on track?

3 Likes

No and your right if it’s an auto you do want to put them in their final container, def need a brighter light , they do look dammp off how heavy is that pot ,if you haven’t taken care of plats before there is going to be some issues , just keep reading you’ll get there

In my experience, some strains are slower to get going, I found this to be true of Great white shark, seemed like they took forever. I’ve never grown white widow, so I can’t really say. Definitely stay away from nutes for now. Unless you’re reusing soil.
To measure the runoff you need to water it enough to get water to come out the bottom of your pot, collect a sample and run a pH.
I would not suggest doing this with the pots your plants are growing in until the plants are a little better established. You could take some of your soil put it in another pot run the same water your using through it and collect a sample of the runoff and check the pH of that. Should give you a pretty good idea of where your at.

1 Like

Joining late :)!!!

I think you need more light. They really are small for being 2 1/2 weeks along.

1 Like

Runoff is the water that is coming out the bottom of your pot.

So for soil, your going to want a ph of 6.5 whenever you water or feed them. Whenever the water, or runoff, comes out the bottom, you should be checking it to see if the ph is correct in the root zone. Soil likes to dip down and become to acidic for the plants. So checking runoff numbers tells you how the root zone is doing. This also applies to ppms. So grab a TDS meter for measuring the ppms so you can know when your soil becomes depleted of nutrients.

1 Like

Also…depending on how big your grow space is, those plants are going to need alot more light to flower. They are very small for being 2 weeks old and that’s because of the lighting they have.

2 Likes

Thank you All for the valuable input and advice. I’ll get a better light in the next couple of days, just hope it’s not too late to save them.

2 Likes

If you can, put them in the sunlight. Even a windowsill is better than nothing…

1 Like

Before you buy it, let us know what it is and we can steer you in the right direction

1 Like

Now is the time to ask about a light unless you have done your research and know what you need.
Oh, by the way does the light on the left look familiar. Do you have all three switches turned on?

Your WWA probably stalled out at bit. They look healthy enough. The soil is feeding them because they still have their cotyledon leaves. Maybe carefully add a little soil / whatever you are growing in to support the stems. A little breeze will help strengthen them too.
These are two purple kush fem. that had their cotyledon leaves on 2/16 so they are 9-10 days old.

At the stem they are about an inch+. The third set of leaves are just starting.

Hello beardless,
Yes, the light on the left looks familiar indeed. There was one switch that was off, now all 3 are on, thanks for that. I’m a bit embarrassed I didn’t check that. I did some reading before I started the grow and chose a 19 watt full spectrum Feit LED, which I used for about a week. Growth seemed slow, so I went and got a 35 watt Feit full spectrum LED. I am using both now. I chose the LED due to energy costs, no heat and cost (both total $100). I now believe this was a mistake. I am currently searching for a better LED, but my remaining budget is about $125.
I measured the stems and from the soil to the bottom leaves is 1 inch. I will move the fan closer so they sway a bit in the breeze. Should I still add a little more soil?

I would like opinions on this light, which has good reviews and is economical also: SPIDER FARMER SF-1000 LED Grow Light Use with Samsung LM301B LEDs Daisy Chain Dimmable Full Spectrum Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg Flower Greenhouse Growing Lamps with MeanWell Driver

SF-1000 is out of stock, no ETA. Going with the SF-600.

What is your grow space? The sf600 will give you about 75w of actual power draw. I am by no means an experienced grower; I’ve been here for about a year now and lights are your biggest expense and maybe the most important piece of equipment. This light plus your others combined might be good for one plant in a small space to get you some sense buds.

However, I would really read some posts by dbrn32. They are highly regarded as the lighting guru around here. Many great growers here that will help. I would hold off on the light until a few other recommendations.

Best of luck.

Sorry for lateness of reply…after much reading, you are correct. I’ve made many mistakes, from soil to light to space. My plants are on a wire shelf unit, no tent. I started with 3 seedlings and am down to 2 plants. I put them under the SF 600 and they look a lot better than the pictures above. I will attempt to take these 2 plants to their end, whatever I get, is what I get. Meanwhile, I am reading and putting together a shopping list for my next grow, which will be in a tent. here are pictures from today…

In the new 2nd pic, she looks like she might be stretching for light a bit. Do you have the light at it’s recommended height for seedlings? (should be in the manual)

Also, not sure what stage of the day these are at, but based on the top soil, they should be watered, no?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I had a weak light that caused stretching. The SF600 is currently 12 inches from plant tops. i was scared to go closer, I will drop the light down to 6 inches and watch them before lowering again. The plants were watered yesterday (Wednesday) and pot still have a bit of weight.