New Grower Tent suggestions

Thanks for the tag @Storm , hi @Illinoisbuck3 there’s so many good lights out there, what kind of money do you want to spend? That’s the best way to start

@MeEasy like I said I don’t mind spending good money for a really good light. Just looking for something that will last. That being said really wouldn’t want to spend over $2500

1 Like

I’m trying out my first bar style light right now so I don’t have experience with them but I really like the way they spread out the light it’s great to have the same ppfd in the corners as you do in the middle. I’m trying the Mars Hydro fc6500 (not fcE6500 different diodes) they run like 750 800 US and you would need 2 of them. I’m really impressed with the independent reviews I’ve seen. They have a fc8000 I think it would be a little overkill for a 4x4 twice which is what a 4x8 is. I’ve wanted the fc6500 nd it would be my pick but I’m not a name brand guy
Here’s a list of very capable lights I would put in a 4x8 you would need 2 of these too

Hlg has a beast I think it is called a Blackbird for around the same $ it’s not quite a bar style but they spread out the boards to get similar results… they have other 4x4 capable lights and are the fan favorites around here

Photontek has a nice one too it’s up like 1400 bucks

Kind has a couple really nice ones I think they’re priced around 1400

Growers choice roi are really nice lights

Spider Farmer also has some newer bar style they’re close to the Mars I’m using, same parts n money different companies

I know I’m forgetting some others but that is what fell out of the ol brain quickly

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, think I may end up getting two of the blackbirds. With the 25% off I think I may order today.

Any of the lights hlg has listed for your square footage should do well for you. I agree with advice spineynorman gave, you should look to what you want to accomplish and ask for some feedback on what size tent you’ll need. Most of people that i know that started with 4x8 have moved to multiple smaller tents.

@dbrn32 actually I’ve been thinking about the multiple tent idea being that we are a 5 plant state. Thinking 3 autos and 2 photos in a veg tent to start and then move the two photos to flowering tent and starting two more photos and another auto in veg tent. Taking in too much info and trying to decide what exactly to do. Any of you guys in 5 plant states have recommendsarioks of cycles?

1 Like

I live in same state as you, probably not too far away lol.

I like 3x3 tents for cost and effectiveness. You could run 1 large plant or 5 small plants in it no problem. And cost is pretty reasonable to get decent equipment from the beginning. It’s been a while sinve i bought anything, but last i knew you could setup a 3x3 with qb260 kit, ac infinity fan, filter, tent, and circulating fan for about the cost of a decent light for a 4x4 tent. It’s a very practical and flexible setup. If you felt this way, you could just buy one now and get rolling knowimg that even growing photos or autos you can squeeze 5 and will be 3 plus momths before you’re ready to harvest and place anything back into this tent.

That would be low fuss get going now and buy you some time to figure out what you want to do. Which you would have a lot of options. A 2x2 can feed a 3x3 if you need it to. You could even start and veg plants without another tent as vegging cannabis plants don’t require any darkness. Or you could get another 3x3 and have more than enough room.

There is no need to decide between autos and photos really. The typical photo plant will mature and be able to flip to flower at about the same pace as the typical auto will transition to flower on its own. Photos just give you the opportunity to veg longer/bigger if you want to. But you will want to put some thought into timing of your process. When you harvest do you have a spot to dry for week or two, or need to use a tent? This may justify 2 tents, but still have plenty of time before needing 2nd tent. You also have to time when starting next round of plants. Typical flowering times are 8-10 weeks. If you’re going for fast flip and small plants you can’t start your replacement plants at same time as flowering plants, they would be huge. If you go with 2-3-2-3 rotation would just be costing you time and harvest potential in long run. I would run 5 right from the get go and then wait until about 4-5 weeks before harvest and start 4 more. Living dangerous for about a month, but those 4 should be about ready to go straight into flower when you harvest first 5. Then with 4 plants you could start a 5th sooner and veg it out longer to hopefully fill a 3x3 with a single plant. If you’re like most of us, the sensation of being exactly legal will wear off pretty quickly. But that’s up to you. There’s a ton of ways you could successfully navigate remaining completely legal.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 thanks for the recommendations. I’m seriously thinking a 4x4 to start and then add a 5x5 and taking your idea on the start with 5 and then go from there. Appreciate all of your recommendations. Unfortunately got busy and missed the HLG 25% off deal so lights are going to cost me a bit more. Hope to get everything purchased this week. Leaning towards the AC infinity tents today because of cost but still really like the height of the Goeilla tents

1 Like

No problem. You’ll spend a lot of time vegging plants to fill a 4x4 or 5x5, long as that’s reasonable for you the larger tents will be fine.

Are you in the city or suburbs?

If you call HLG and ask about that 25% you just missed, they may honor it for you.

They’ve done wonderfully by me

2 Likes

@dbrn32 in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors for a mile.

1 Like

Rightbuddotcom has very good specials on tents and lights right now.

The FC 6500 mars light was only 665.00.

Found my hlg 300r v2 rspec, authorized dealer, 60.00 cheaper than hlg w/3 yr warranty.

There hlg blackbird was on sale. Good deals.

Very fast delivery and discreet for those of us who have to cover our tracks.

Please check out our GreenOps club site for some great tent recommendations and guides to getting started on your grow operations - greenops.club