New grower..stem long, leaves kinda wierd, and ph a little high. Help

Germinated using paper towel method. Sprouted 2 days ago and overnight keeps getting longer. Stem is a little long. Humidity 72% Temp 78. I didnt water the soil when placed her in just spray the top soil into moist. Wonderful is my ph balance to high and is she reaching for light

2 Likes

Not enough light thats why she is stretching. Sprouts will grow verticle till they find the light. Once they do, they get wider instead of taller. Try lowering your light some. (Also what are you using for light?)

That meter is trash for reading soil ph, and I mean trash! Your gonna need a ph pen. I Recommend spending more then 20 bucks on one too.

Once you have one you have two options for checking soil ph. #1) water with a ph of 6.8 and check runoff ph.
#2) Far more accurate, albeit intrusive, is a 1:1 soil slurry using soil from 2 inches or more below topsoil.
This early in however the bag of soil should tell you what ph it is at straight outta the bag.

4 Likes

Ok great so i will buy a different tester. Whats your go to? And i use ph balanced water at 6.4 and the soil says ph 6.8. Im currently running the Unit Farm UF1000 full sprectrum. Im growing in my closet so plants are low to the ground and light is about 3 1/2 feet away

1 Like

Bring that 100w light down to 18-24 inches.

4 Likes

Apera ph20 is most commonly recommended. I got an apera ph60 and LOVE it. Not cheap either one but if you plan on growing long term the investment is worth it. @storm is right. Bring your light down to 18-24 inches and if it has a dimmer you wanna be between 35 and 50%. Prolly closer to 50%.

3 Likes

Ok great. I just took her outside to get some sunlight and within 10mins she fell over not touching the dirt but very close just put her back in her home. Bringing my light down now to 18

2 Likes

Backfill around her 3/4 of the way up stem as support. A stake can be used but i find a backfill around to support better at this stage. Just me. A very mild indirect breeze will strengthen her afterwards.

1 Like

Lol im sorry new to this what is a backfill

More dirt. Bury the weak stem so it has support. Less stem above surface. Can just pull from edges of pot. Once she takes well no worries after on weak with light adjustment and a little breeze in tent.

1 Like

Backfill.

2 Likes

Ok thank u. I just went and looked in shes standing back up her leaves are small and 1 is folded up doing her backfill now. Why is 1 of her leaves curled up and the others are normal

Young. Stress not. Up her light. Get her stable and let her do her thing.

1 Like

So what is your take on keeping her domed. Shes domed right now i have a fan blowing low on her and the soil. Shes actually all stem rn with small leaves so keep her domed or take dome off?

1 Like

A choice. Can run undomed after support and watch. If very dry in your tent dome. If 50% rh or better can prob just let her run free. Less will be much more right now. No nutes. Limited water. Limited worry…:grin:

She sitting at rh55% right now, no nutes, limited water so ill undome her and see. So at this time am i tryna keep rh high or is it ok for it to drop to 50. Hasnt been under 51% and thats at night with lights on 24/7 daytime shes about 75%. Ive been trying to keep her between 75 and 80%rh

2 Likes

Your ok if drops lights on to 50%. I grow at 45% all the time.

@Storm thanks for the advice to backfill her shes standing up a lot better. So what stage is this for her? And her rh is good to be at 50% all day or should i raise it at all. She also yook well with the light breeze from the fan

3 Likes

Let her ride. All the work now is underground. If starts drying out dome her. I bet she doesnt. No spray. She does not need to be wet. Once roots are ready they will feed the foliage growth. It will be explosive so be ready to have fun. Seedling stage.

1 Like

I wouldnt trust those meters i use to use one but then i found out it wasnt close to being calibrated properly it was way out go buy ur self a proper ph kit for soil for Walmart or a garden centre

1 Like

Will do i ordered a soil ph tester from amazon earlier and her rh has been 53 all day, is she ok?