New grower PLEASE HELP

yes their are great people here that will walk you through

4 Likes

@budgrower4life Welcome to the community. A lot of great people on here to help you out. I know cause they all have helped me out many times

2 Likes

Drop those seeds man! Put them in some dirt that isn’t loaded with nutrients. Whatever light you have will work for seedlings anyway. Water = less is more. Don’t drown em and they will grow. Then these guys will set you straight on the details

1 Like

@dbrn32 has you covered here. Just make a list of your current growing supplies so we can see what you are going to need. You’ll get all the information you need here. Spend some time reading through threads and journals. Also if you haven’t already bought grow lights PLEASE wait until you get some help deciding on what you need based on your grow space and budget. Lights are the most important aspect of growing cannabis and should be at the top of the list of your budget.

1 Like

To get you started with your ff soil, treat it pretty much like potting soil for the first 6 weeks. Just water and grow.
Oh yeah you need to have a small plant going before you stick it in the ff. Its a bit rough on seedlings :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag,
I’m always down to party :v:

Just wanted to let everyone know @budgrower4life has started a journal here’s the link.

1 Like

Welcome to the community. This stuff looks bewildering to start off with but it soon starts to make sense. Good luck and keep asking questions :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks, I use pro mix seed start soil. I wasn’t saying to start a seed in OF. But thanks for clearing that up :v::green_heart:
The Grow Bible gives great step by step instructions for seed starting.

1 Like

i know i have read several growers use ffof from beginning to end on their plants. i am not brave enough to do it but it is done

4 Likes

I’m finding you can push the envelope a bit. Use what is considered standard practice to inform your decisions and push those boundaries to see what they can tolerate. They might just thank you for it.

1 Like

I grow mostly hydro but I also grow in soil every now and then. What you’re using won’t need any nutes until you probably go into flower. I usually start off with some Happy Frog which isn’t as hot as the ocean forest. I start off in a one gallon pot with happy frog and when I transplant into a larger pot I fill the larger pot with the ocean forest. Ph is very important so get a good meter before starting. Good luck.

5 Likes

I’ve grown in FF OF start to finish with no problems. But I do know that there has been people that do have problems with seedlings in OF. I’ve also seen other growers that use it with no issues. Which leads me to believe that many beginners has problems due to other factors. Possibly environmental, watering, heat or rh levels ,or even adding nutrients to soon.

1 Like

@Bulldognuts You are probably right ,success rate for ffof with experienced growers is pretty high and I can’t count the number of sad stories from newbies with the stuff. On the other hand happy frog has a good success rate across the board. Why take a chance, what works for you may not work for the next person. My grow average temp is around 95F. That would kill the next guys grow. So if we are not factoring in genetics and strain .You should give advise that’s going to give the highest success rate. I don’t know just trying to help.

1 Like

Has a good rate for not burning plants, but horrible for ph consistency. I wouldn’t say ocean forest is a lot better though.

3 Likes

Do you believe that ph inconsistencies are a direct result of the soil or the nutrients used. The reason I ask is on last grow I was using FF nutrients and had ph issues ones that you were instrumental in helping correct. On this current grow exact same setup with the exception of FF nutrients. With Jack’s no ph issues, no deficiencies, no problems at all.

1 Like

i am waiting for the answer to this! i used promix instead of FF last time but i used the ff nutes and had ph issues all along. i was diligent with testing ph every time i watered

2 Likes

I would like to say, but that stuff is so inconsistent it’s kinda hard to. Some seem to do great with it, but sure is a pita for others.

You’re probably onto something though. Jack’s doesn’t seem to have much for ph buffers. So as long as you are setting properly there shouldn’t be much for issues with it. Maybe it’s the opposite for the ff stuff?

2 Likes

Phlizon 43"x24"x60" Grow Tent
MARS HYDRO TS 600W LED Grow Light 2x2 ft Sunlike Full Spectrum Led Grow Lamp
VIVOSUN Air Filtration Kit: 4 Inch 203 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller, 4’’ Carbon Filter and 8 Feet of Ducting Combo
Organic Laboratories 100-004 Organocide 3-in-1 RTU Garden Spray
Fox Farm FX14049 Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom
General Hydroponics Ph 4.01 & Ph 7.0 Calibration Solution Kit
Botanicare HGC732110 Cal-Mag Plus Calcium Magnesium & Iron Plant Supplement
VIVOSUN pH and TDS Meter Combo, 0.05ph High Accuracy Pen Type pH Meter +/- 2% Readout Accuracy 3-in-1 TDS EC Temperature Meter
Foxfarm FX14053 Ocean Forest Organic Plant Garden Potting Soil Mix 12 Quarts
[v] Urb
Miracle-Gro seed Starting
1 gal pot
5 gal pot
Light dome
Led light bulb (9w)

Thats a the supplies I have as of right now and thank you all for the help

1 Like

Excellent!

The urb is a microbial inoculate, there is probably a small maintenance dose you can use regularly or a heavier dose that you would maybe use less often. I use a different brand, but it’s basically 1ml/gallon once a week. Depending the concentration could be more though. Your soil probably won’t need watered very often, so I bet if you did once weekly would end up to be something like every other watering. It’s pretty safe to use, but usually expensive too, and goes a long way. You won’t need a whole gallon of water for a while, but a drop or two every other watering will probably help your seedlings root.

Your lighting will need work to be very successful, but you can definitely get rolling with what you have.

What seeds do you have, how many are thinking of starting with, and how do you plan on starting them? In the 1 gallon pots?

2 Likes