New grower: planning to grow in coco, need nute info

My plan for my first grow will be outdoor, ten-gallon cloth pots, coco with perlite. Besides basic nutes (I’m looking at Advanced Nutrients’ special base nutes for coco) - what else will I need to add? And/or: can you steer me to a reliable, definitive discussion of this somewhere? TIA!

I’m gonna need to move these pots a couple of times a day, to maximize direct sun, because I live in a clearing in a tall forest. I’ll be getting them on wheels to facilitate this.

Alot of growers around here in coco are moving to Jacks 321. The cost effectiveness of it is unchallenged and its super simple with pretty much the same baseline feed from start to finish.

Not sure if I can point you at a discussion about it. But I can tag a few mods running it now. And hopefully they can show you the end products.

@dbrn32 @MattyBear @Covertgrower

Care to enlighten us on the Jacks?

3 Likes

excellent; thanks! my big concern here is to find out what’s needed in this medium that’s new to me, and is pretty much devoid of nutrients.

2 Likes

It is. And feeding from day 1 is highly recommended. The good part about Jacks is the strength of the feed is the exact same for a seedling as it is for a plant in late flower. Its honestly mindboggling but works.

It is also a nutrient that comes with calmag in the base nutrient. Part B is Calcium Nitrate (Cal) and the third part is epsom salt (Mag). Coco is a calmag hog. So alot of people like to precharge the medium with full strength before seeds even go in.

5 Likes

I see that Jack’s 321 has two parts, Grow, A; and Bloom, B. They are fed in differing amounts through the grow - will that provide all the plant needs?

2 Likes

I’m using fabric pots for my outdoor grow. I find myself wanting larger pots. Currently have 20 gallon. Looking for 50 gallon…

4 Likes

Outdoor Growing Calendar for Marijuana Plants

1 Like

Yes it will, the third part is epsom salt, which provides the magnesium that the plant needs for high performance LED lighting. This line includes all of the nutrients that is needed from seed to harvest. Other members have tried flowering boosters, (myself included) they may have an effect, but so far what everyone has suggested is that it doesn’t seem to make a difference.
If you have any farther questions don’t hesitate to tag any of us.

3 Likes

All great suggestions from @PurpNGold74 @Covertgrower

@Low can help you set up with recharge and all he those it In his journal and always share his methods. He also uses Jack’s 321 as so do I but I’m on soil

4 Likes

I ran soil this round too. Just wanted to compare between harvests. Microbes are the secret to great terpene content, and I think I like soil better just from that perspective. Maybe I’m imagining it? Either way I’m open.

3 Likes

Man that’s awesome. I’m still like 2 journals behind in your journals and would love the comparison. Every 1 says coco is better but it’s a huge invest in time and money. I personally love the soil and how they are responding to Jack’s 321

3 Likes

The soil you’ll get a light claw on some strains, you can just dial back part B if it concerns you.

I’m not sure how it’s an investment, coco is cheaper than soil, at least for me. Location may be a factor there. Coco is also reusable. You can reuse soil too, but it’s not recommended, and you may run into excessive salt build up, and ph issues from the past
Roots decomposing.

3 Likes

I was meaning time wise. I would have to set up a auto pot for feeding if I wanted to go 2 coco. I got a bag of coast of maine for $10 so can’t beat that either

I throw the soil in my garden bed it helps save money on that part

3 Likes

I started in coco/perlite last year. As I grew, I learned the microbes and bacteria I was adding into the coco reacted better when I added a bit of composted manure to the mix. I also learned about dry amendments and top dressing. I brew a tea once a month and basically just water in between.

4 parts coco
1 part composted manure/worm castings
a cup of perlite per gallon of mix

I plant my seedlings and rooted clones in this mix and they tend to be good for about a month.

For transplant I add Happy Frog dry amendments at half strength.

For outdoor grows I use refurbished coco and add 1 part manure/castings.

I top dress and feed a tea once a month.

4 Likes

When are you planning on starting this grow? For most of us in the US our outdoor growing season is about over.

Using Jacks 321 isn’t difficult, and is good in coco w/ drain to waist because it’s fairly inexpensive. I would say probably the least of your worries. You’ll likely need to feed daily early part of the grow, and later in the grow probably multiple times a day if in coco.

Planning on moving is probably gonna cause some issues too. If treated properly these plants will be huge and extremely top heavy in 10 gallon pot of coco.

4 Likes

These guys have you covered for the most part. Coco produces much faster vegging plants than soil in my experience and having control over nutrients and and not have to worry about overwatering for the most part is why I like it. I’ve also not noted any loss of terpines or colors in my plants in coco vs soil either. :man_shrugging::call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

4 Likes

re: 10 gallon pots…I have to move these a couple times a day, or I’d do 50 gallon pots. I’m gonna put them on some kind of wheeled conveyance.

1 Like

this will be outdoor, not LED. Will epsom salt still be needed?

2 Likes

thanks for your comments. The plan is for next season, and I’m starting to proactively line up my ducks as well as I can. Lots to choose from.

This will be right in my big backyard, but I live in a clearing cut into a tall forest. tending the plants multiple times a day should be fine; I’m retired and always home.

Good point about moving. My plan is to have one wagon per pot, and use a tomato inverted-cone support. I’ll only have to move it about 40-50’, at most, over level ground.

2 Likes

Not sure but id still use the epsoms. Seems to bring out some nice smells in all my current plants.

4 Likes