New grower, oddly shaped space, questioning my lighting choice

The problem with that is tall plants also grow out, as well as light penetration. You may only get good buds at the top of your highest colas. Everything below will be in the shade.

The black market price for a 10mg chocolate is about $5 here but that will drop swiftly once we get a dispensary bill.

Just to give you an idea about crowding, My 2 plants are stuffed in a 35" x 30" closet. So I get the skinny part. This is also where I get my 3’ estimate per plant. Lot’s less headaches, and probably better product. One light, one plant = much easier for a newbie like myself,

1 Like

Yeah, some pruning and training would need to happen for sure. I might do what @whodat66 suggested, try a couple of different styles and see what works best.

1 Like

SOG is probably best for a quick turn around. But the thought of having 10-20 plants in my basement freaks me out.
I’ve been trying to stay within the legal boundaries; maximizing my plants. I own a multi family house, soooo I can theoretically grow 2 flowering plants/domicile and 4 immature.

But a SOG grow is best for clones and a waste of seeds from what I’ve read - another thing to learn… Cloning seems like it would be the primary method for a business venture, or breeding your own seeds.

Absolutely. One mother can fill a room with clones.

I guess my point is that there are toooooo many options for anyone on here to tell you “this is best” - for you.

The best part is it’s legal in VT, and our state moves sloooooooooooowly. So @fullvermonty has plenty of time to figure it out.

Me too, I am going to stay within the 6 plant limit until such time as I can legally scale up. Right now it’s all about making all the mistakes, figuring out efficiencies and best practices, and maximum return for minimum space/time/cost.

I won’t ever have a massive operation, not like the growers out in Cali and Oregon and Colorado, more interested in a boutique operation focusing on high quality clean organics.

2 Likes

Good thing you came here. There are so many experienced growers here that enjoy sharing knowledge.
And lighting… don’t skimp on lighting!!!
We haven’t even discussed pH or water ppm. Which is also imperative

Yup, cloning is on the list of things to figure out. About to give it a shot in another two weeks or so. I have one big lady who could stand a mild haircut. I only have five plants now so one more won’t put me over any legal edges.

Ha. I have a pretty good success rate for clones. I end up with so many I don’t know what to do with them. I handed out dozens this summer.

In Vermont it’s surprisingly easy to run out of places to dispose of excess plants, LOL Everybody I know who can grow, does.

Don’t think I’ll have too much trouble with cloning, I’ve rooted lots of cuttings of all sorts of other plants, even finicky ones, so it ought to be OK.

Well, good luck. I’d hate to see you get frustrated by too many plants on your first grow. Since I started growing, I’ve wondered about legal-states where there is a plant limit, and people say “I can grow 6 plants? Cool lets buy seeds” not knowing what is involved.

But come to think of it, that might be the draw to growing outdoors.

But if you have the money and time to dump into it, it’s fun!

I won’t get frustrated by taking care of five plants, I have a few acres full of other plants that I already take care of, five more is no big, LOL. But, this is a new venture for me. Like @drinkslinger said up top, cannabis ≠ tomatoes, so there’s plenty to learn. I get what you are saying.

What I think I’m gonna do is pull the seed starter out so I have my full 14 foot run, then LST/scrog three of the plants, and use some other methods on the other two. I’ve already started LST on the biggest three, the smaller two can be experiments. See what works best/most efficiently.

Looking back at the pic in post 20, the first thing I would do is yank out all those shelves and stuff, and deep-clean and paint the whole space. having the plants on the floor will double your height availability, and you’ll find ‘walking around’ space won’t be a problem until they get big. The area taken up by the shelf (sqft-wise) would be a great template for the space needed though.

And since you mentioned ‘basement’, a moisture-barrier paint might help prevent mold issues.

I’d put them on carts with rollers too, just to make things easier all the way around.

You talking about the shelves on the right? Those are just 1x3s between the studs, only deep enough for one pint size mason jar. You can see the jars if you look close. Getting rid of those shelves won’t buy me any more space, unless I take the whole wall down. And the shit would be very deep if I did that. Other parties in the house would object. Strenuously.

Death wish, I do not have one, LOL

The tables have adjustable legs so they can be made shorter when the girls get taller. Moisture barrier paint is a good idea and so is the reflective stuff folks have mentioned. Carts with rollers, also not a bad idea. That would make it easier to break out the big pots. The ones in the pics are 7 gallons, just some old flower pots we had laying around, not hard to move, but I have some 30 gallon smart pots that would be great if I have all 14 feet to play with.

1 Like

Nah, I saw the jars. I was going to mention moving them too (dust-collectors) but I meant the table they are on. You could hang a reflective tarp in front of the jars for that matter, might be easier than moving/painting/etc.

OK, yeah, I see where you’re going.

There would be nothing but hell to pay if I tried to get rid of those jar shelves. There’s places I can go and places it would be unwise to tread, LOL

Can easy get away with some reflective film over them, though, that’s a solid plan. Been meaning to hang some on the concrete wall but might as well do the shelf wall too. It’s a long way from the plants, not sure how much light it’ll really reflect, but it won’t hurt anything so why not.

1 Like