New grower needs help with germination

New grower. Just got my seeds and started to germinate them. Started with 5 gorilla glue seeds. Started to soaked seeds in small clear glass. Soaked for 48 hours. They seem to be starting to crack open. I put them between paper towels to finish sprouting. Is this okay?Read you should not leave in water more than 24 to 48 hrs. Is this article correct?

I wait til I see seed crack then put in rapid rooter

I switched the title for you…personal info is not allowed on this forum. It sounds like you’re doing everything correctly. I personally skip the paper towel part and go from soaking (usually overnight or until they sink at least) straight into the medium or starter plug.

Here is a step-by-step guide:

Most importantly, welcome to ILGM! There’s no such thing as a dumb question. Everyone is here to help each other grow as best as possible! :v:

3 Likes

I do 24 hours in water ,then straight to soil, usually see sprouts after a few days

Same from 24 hour in water to dirt. I have no luck with the paper towel method. For stored seeds i leave out in room temperature for 24 hrs the into cup of water 24 hours then dirt.

1 Like

I am growing in soil literally just planted them and soaked the soil 4/5 sprouted

Soaked the soil, be careful not to drown the sprouts. :wink: 4 of 5 good start 5 will pop in a day or two.

I’m new to this method as well. What’s the maximum time that I can leave the seeds soaking. They floated & then sank to the bottom within a couple of hours. I’m presently at 32 hours in water (no “tails” yet).

@Eagle1

Welcome to the forum. Soon you will see a “new topic” button you can use for starting your own thread. You own thread will receive a lot more attention.

I don’t see any difference between floating seeds and sinking seeds, I don’t think it matters.

I hardly ever need to leave the seeds more then 48 hours before they start splitting open. I don’t wait for long tail or anything, just a sign that they germinated by splitting open. I then put them into a small pot with growing medium of choice. I don’t worry about which way the root is pointing when placing in pot, the seedling will figure it out. The harder it works to pop up the more likely it will drop seed casing and membrane.

One thing that helps with germination is keeping the seeds warm, near 80 degrees best. Some keep them under lights 24/7 to provide heat, others put seeds on cable box or similar, others use seedling mats to keep them warm.

When planting them don’t plant them too deep, 1/4-3/8 inch deep sufficient.

Good luck

Thank you
I found they cracked and began to show a small tail this morning-I transferred them into the soil (like you informed me)
Much appreciated!