New Grower in the Northeast needing advice on Outdoor Strains

hello im looking to buy some seeds for a outdoor grow but not sure what to get. i want a plant that is easy to grow with high yields and thc as im new to growing i live in the north east boston area and will be growing them outside all summer ive been looking at bruce banner purple haze and jack herer are those easy to grow outside and easy to grow in the climate im in any suggestions or questions will be grately appreciated thank you

1 Like

I’m going to change the name of your thread to see if it drums up some growers in your area. I hope you don’t mind…

4 Likes

@bigmill I’m North East of Boston also (there are a few of us here) and have had great luck with outdoor grows with Northern Lights, Girl Scout Crack and Purple Punch. Northern Lights is an easy grow and I was getting 8-14 ounces per plant. Not sure on the potency but I’d estimate around 15%.

Last year I grew OG Kush and Purple Kush but ran into powdery mold issues.

Tag me if if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Not the easiest strains. That said they will thrive as long as you give them good soil and much light, the more of the environmental aspects you control the easier you can manage pests.
which is what you are looking for if growing outdoors resistance to pests, and you have to consider the autumn climate in your zone… I always had to choose plants that would flower quickly because around October the weather would turn cold and humid and if my plant wasn’t finished by then i would loose most to bud rot or harvest early…

Early girl and durban poison, are two strains i grew outdoors i was very pleased with…it was also a good autumn :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thank you I do have some questions but this site only allows me to ask so many questions each day for now being new so I’ll ask what I can now that I can think of. northern lights is one I heard of and you telling me about and probably will try that I’ve been looking more what you think about the Afghan feminized seeds they seem to be good for outside your thoughts? also should I get it in a autoflower or just the regular feminized ones I heard autos If I mess up but idk I rather get the higher yield per plant only doing 3 or 4 plants and I’m alright at gardening with tomatos and have grown pot not sure the strain they’re just regular seeds and they get up to 6 feet tall but dont want to deal with the Male female part of it anymore also are seedsman any good ? I heard they are but the wait times i hear are bad is this site ilgm fast with shipping or is seedsman fast just like seedsman more because there prices are better and they give you freebies do you recommend anyone else to buy from ? And thanks for your help just dont want to buy the wrong thing and have it rot or get scammed out of money from a bogus website just want to know it is and will do what they say that’s all and thank you

1 Like

@bigmill

I don’t have a lot of experience with Afghan seeds. For outdoors I always look for mold resistant seeds. Also, Indica will have a shorter flower time which is good because come October is when there can me some humidity/mold issues.

Autoflower will be done and able to harvest sooner than Photo’s but in my experience they are less forgiving than photos. That said I just harvested 2 Auto’s (indoor grow) that yielded 12+ ounces between the 2.

There are a lot of folks that like seedsman and use them, but I personally will not give them .01 cent (more) of my money. There are much better seedbanks. I have used ILGM for several seeds and have always had good luck. My NL was from here and the genetics on them has been really good. You can also look at Attitude Seed bank.

Just look for feminized seeds if you don’t want males but be warned feminized is not 100 percent guaranteed.

Hope this helps - Ask anything else you want. There are lots of folks here (with far more knowledge than me) that are willing to help.

1 Like

The Durban poison looks pretty good so that is easy to grow and has a high disease and pest resistance and can withstand being outside in the dirt throughout new England summer’s with sometimes heavy rain and what not ? just want something that is easy and I dont need to babysit alot just typical things to take care of it and it will grow fast correct like how long is fast dont want to get to October and not have a plant ready to go or be rotting so far I’m between northern lights the daban poison and the Afghan feminized is the Afghan one a good Choice?

1 Like

Durban poison - 100% Sativa - When grown outdoors, harvest time occurs around the end of September to mid-October.

Afghan - 100% Indica - Flowering periods for Afghan when grown inside is about 8-10 weeks. Harvesting of outside plants takes place in October at the latest.

Northern Lights - 90% Indica 10% Sativa - The flowering time is, on average, 7-9 weeks often falling on the shorter side-so keep an eye out. Outdoor growers will harvest in mid-October at the latest.

I would avoid the Afghan and go with one of the others.

2 Likes

Seems like the northern lights is the best option since you and others have grown it in similar areas as me but to be correct it will be mold resistant and pest resistant for me to plant it outside in the ground and stand up to the climate changes that come in new England like sometimes heavy rain or some cold days dont want something I need to babysit alot just plant it and do the typical things nothing crazy as I’m new and it’s grows fast correct because like you said once October comes it becomes sketchy so need it to grow at a good rate

1 Like

Yes, it is mold and pest resistant, but still possible to have issues.

My outdoor NL usually gets harvested end of Sept to 1st week in Oct.

I have left my NL plants for 2 weeks at a time when I go on business (have a neighbor water) and have had very little issues.

1 Like

Do you use the regular free shipping or the registered shipping for a extra 25 I heard you need the 25 dollar version to track your shipment is that true

1 Like

Been a while since I bought seeds. I’m cheap. Probably went with regular free shipping :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just bought 5 seeds of the northern light’s feminized hope I do as well as you did you have any good tips for me when I’m beginning

1 Like

Don’t overwater your seedlings.

I use the KISS method - Less is more.

Most Important tip - HAVE FUN!!!

Good luck!!!

Here is a NL (indoor) IMG_3369

1 Like

@bigmill
Hey bud I had a similar story when I started. Good idea to research your genetics! I’m in a similar area (Lower Great Lakes). Curious, are you growing straight out of the ground or in pots? I’ve always used fabric pots to make it easier to move around toward the sun and away from damaging weather

Sheeesh UK :see_no_evil: tough climate… I would go with auto flowering

Eta; i see you already bought NL it’s a good choice for your climate… Let us know how it goes

Hey it’s been awhile but I got the northern lights and some purple haze going all growing good the purple haze a started a little later so they are not crazy big yet maybe a foot but growing pretty fast and healthy but the northern lights had in the ground a bit now some are 4 feet tall while the first 2 I did are atleast 7 feet tall still planted in the ground some others I got in buckets I didn’t plant them all at once so that’s why they’re different sizes but the 1st 2 I did are atleast 7 feet each while the other 3 about 4 feet like I said before but just the big ones have a little bit of yellow on leaves some dead at very bottom but nothing major or something I dont feel I should be concerned about I use miracle grow I know it’s a noob thing to do but hear it’s fine I only use it maybe 1 or 2 times a month on them is miracle grow ok to use or should I be using more of it or any other suggestion also I bought feminized seeds so they should be good but still like to check if it’s male or not I know you dont want to see balls and dont so far just not totally sure as to still being new to growing this type of plant the big plants haven’t produced any bud looking product yet but has a bunch of little flowers everywhere just wondering when should I except it to bloom one person told me August 2 is when it starts in our state but any suggestions or tips I should be doing to the plants now will greatly help thanks again for your help from before

1 Like

UK wrong place north east new England boston area lol look at my new comment of the update any suggestions from you would help also like to pick as many brains as I can lol

1 Like

I got about 6 in the ground and the others in buckets I updated my situation if you could read it it and give some suggestions it would help alot

1 Like

Hey @bigmill

Just north of Boston and I’m just starting to see some pre flowers on my plants. I’d say another 2 weeks and you should really be able to tell Male/Female.