New grower here, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks brother my tent is recommended size for the ts 1000w coverage and can have two in that space as only do autos

1 Like

@Jtab3333 I had 2 VS1000s (the Vivosun equivalent of the Mars Hydro lights mentioned above) in a 4x4 grow space for 5 plants - it might have been sufficient for vegging all 5 if I amped it up to 100% power and hung at max height to get full coverage. Light penetration was not especially good. At the suggestion of @Hellraiser and some other folks around the forum I picked up an HLG kit (you can pick up more light power for a little less $$ if you can follow some real basic wiring instructions). Iā€™ve had it installed for 2 days and the growth difference in my mature plant is insane. Sheā€™s picked up 3 new nodes and (I suspect, havenā€™t confirmed with a runoff sample yet) eaten all the nutes in her soil again due to the mad growth spurt. I paid $280ish for a 2 board setup and will very likely be grabbing a 3rd board and extra power supply for another $100ish. Truthfully not as painful as it sounds for the quality of the lights.

Some other folks suggest KINGBRITE lights (you have to get them on Alibaba which sketches me out a bit) as a less expensive alternative to HLG with a longer wait in exchange for the price tag difference.

1 Like

Yeah a 4x4 or 4x8 is gonna be costly to light up with good lights, could do it with 2 HLG 600 rspecs (one for each 4x4 space) or if you donā€™t mind putting together light kits, then 4 of the HLG 260w XLā€™s would do nicely (2 for each 4x4 space).

You hang the light using rope ratchet hangers and can easily raise/lower lights as needed.

1 Like

I can link/show you how build HLG wattage equivalents for less than those cost btw. HLG is cheaper than mars/vivosun/spider and much superior

Can easily get you at or under $1/w with HLG.
While the competition charges $299 for 250wā€¦

3 Likes

I am very interested in building my own HLG clone. Iā€™m pretty good with electrical, is it difficult to do? I used to solder mod chips into PS2ā€™s and sell them lol. A link would be awesome if youā€™re allowed to share on here.

2 Likes

I was referring to the HLG kits, which are very easy to assemble with just wire strippers and screwdriver. Canā€™t link it but just go the HLG site, then Catalog, then QB Kits, takes you here

4 Likes

WOW, those certainly are cheaper. Thanks!

Edit: Just watched the install video, which seems pretty simple. Just a question that you might know. Can you run longer wires to get the driver (I think thatā€™s what itā€™s called) off of the light and outside the tent to remove some heat?

1 Like

I use the 260xl in a 2x4 tent, damn thing grows some big buds, dense as hell. 2 of those would kill a 4x4 space and give you flexibility in adjusting height as not all plants grow the same.

3 Likes

Sure thing, youā€™re gonna assemble it anyway so just get some more wire of the same gauge that connects the driver to the led board and make them as long as you want.

4 Likes

Use solid copper wire .

3 Likes

@OooWee1184 You can use DIY10 for an extra 10% off (as of yesterday this was still good while I was pricing out a third QB288) to make the kits a little less even.

2 Likes

Yup the kits is what I meant too. Except you can save even more if you already have wire and connectors on hand. Can get board/heatsink combos. Buy a meanwell equivalent. Save $60+

3 Likes

Thank you all!

Can get board/heatsink combos. Buy a meanwell equivalent. Save $60+

Iā€™ve seen a few of these out there. Was worried they were counterfeit crap due to the price lol. Good to know!

1 Like

@OooWee1184 for what itā€™s worth, I spoke with HLG directly and they confirmed they arenā€™t an authorized retailer specifically for the drivers, so if they confirm the driver you pick up is adequate power (or you can copy and paste their specs from the kits they sell for the boards they have and find the driver elsewhere). For example, they said a hlg-320H-C1050ab would power 3 288QB boards - which fits great on the 3 panel heat sink. A driver looks like itā€™s $80-100 from 3rd parties (for a Meanwell, rather than an alternative brand for less). So maybe $280 from HLG for heat sink & panels, another undetermined sum for the driver. Maybe $360 for their 360W XL kit. It shakes out to be $10-20 less than straight from HLG directly. Iā€™m pricing all of these with the 10% off code just for ease sake.

Hey, thanks for that info! Iā€™m currently doing the same. Trying to shop around a bit. Putting packages together that gives the best deal. REALLY dumb final question and Iā€™ll stop hijacking this thread with my questions lol. Will all the HLG lights be suitable for both veg AND flower?

1 Like

No such thing as a dumb question. Yeah, HLG will work for flower and veg. They have veg specific lights (B Spec) if you planned to have any mother plants or anything. I think Iā€™m setting mine up with 2 R specs and one B spec just because I donā€™t think I actually need the extra light panel for my space (2x4 is the coverage) but wanted more power anyway.

1 Like

These any good?

As it says veg and seedlings light

If youā€™re thinking of taking to flower with this, I would doubt that you would get good results

1 Like

Ohhhhh ok. That makes sense. I knew these were good lights and I couldnā€™t understand how they didnā€™t have full spectrum lighting. Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Any tips you can give me about growing gorilla glue ? I just got 5 feminized seeds