New grower Flower stage bug questions

I was still scrolling through the answers but was for SURE on my way to suggesting that it looks like caterpillar poop :wink: I know tomato worms leave similar little black specks behind as they’re munching away your garden… Hope you’re able to get it sorted without too much loss. I lost my BIGGEST and healthiest plant today. had put MUCH time and work into LST and tying to keep canopy even… came out to bananas this morning on it…choppity chop!!

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss …I will roll up and smoke in her honor !!!

2 Likes

I have three plants well into the flower stage and just noticed a couple of flowers with insect damage. I applied neem oil which states on the spray bottle that it can be used up to the day of harvest. While it doesn’t say anything about cannabis, I thought it would be okay to use based on this. Now I’m reading that this may not be the case. Can’t I just thoroughly rinse before harvest as suggested by manufacturer? Or do I need to cutoff the affected flowers?

1 Like

I was told that the neem oil will make your buds have a nasty taste. I am going to use it on a couple of my younger plants but on the ones well into flowering im about to spray with captain jacks dead bug! if you give that ago it is safe for your buds.

2 Likes

Whatever you use make sure you are aggressive in it’s application. I soak my infested plants a few days in a row. I give them a few days and do it again.

Last year I used neem oil. This year I have CJDB in my arsenal. Next year I will probably only use CJDB.

2 Likes

Dont use neem beyond Veg. It tastes like it smells, I only use it on my apple, pear and blueberry shrubs.
Safer Caterpillar is also a Bacterium insecticide like Capt Jacks (Spinosad)…it is in the same genus as BT (Mosquito Bits) Bacillus Thuringiensis, plus, it has no effect on birds, earthworms, or beneficial insects such as honeybees and ladybugs. Safe up to day of Harvest. I still recommend a bud wash, but your health your call.

I posted that Black Aphid photo as a reference, cuz I cant see what you see, but I did see some black dots in one of your early photos.

Break out the Green Manalishi with a two-pronged attack.

Buy the concentrates of both and a small pump sprayer, more cost effective as you will need to apply aggressively for many days in a row. The spinosad has a half life of 8-24 hours, the BT is a few days, both recommend using within 24 hours of mixing for maximum efficacy. So I’d mix a small amount 12-16 oz and alternate days unitl you have it under control.

1 Like

Ok so I sprayed the cjdb on all 6 of my girls and have noticed that the worms/ caterpillar s have lefty plants alone after the second spray. I check daily to make sure there are no more. Which I am so thankful for now I have questions about when to harvest… I can’t see to find any outdoor growing tips on when to harvest about 4 of my 6 girls have good since buds but I do not want to cut them too soon. I will post pictures in a little while, close ups of the flower and then the plant itself hopefully you guys can help me out again!

2 Likes

Sorry that it took me so long but here are some pictures it is a combo of all of the plants that have flowered pretty well frits pic is one of my stunted plants, she got hit very hard with the worms and ended up having to cute some of her buds off due to that it was sad. Any help on time to harvest them would be fantastic I am not sure when to do it. My boyfriend wants to make sure we do it correctly because this is our first time growing. Let me know what you guys think if you need more pictures of them let me know. Thanks again!!

You’re gonna get something smokable out of there, couple buds piling up nicely. Good job bug wrangling. You’ve still got some time there 3-4 weeks (ed. guess), lots of white pistils & young bud structure, at some point they’ll go orange/brown and your gonna want a scope to really see the trich colors.

1 Like

Thank you! Taking care of those worms sucked but I’m glad, cause it was worth it I have two girls that I have that are about 2 weeks into the flowering stage like just started getting white pistils. All six of them were gifts and are clones. Sadly I have no clue what kind they are but they smell good and look good.

You could again pull clones off some lower suckers and re-veg em, if you think you have something worthwhile or ability to run em indoors.
Keep treating and watching for worms/bugs, when you think you got em nixxed, low and behold…

I plan on growing by seed next year, that way I know what I am growing. I do not currently have space for inside grow. I am not done checking my plants for bugs I check them every morning and spray when necessary. The worms are super sneaky suckers. I know what to do differently next year as well. I will always use captain jacks dead bug I love how great it is and that i can protect my plants through flowering stage.

5 Likes