New Grower - First grow closet - Suggestions\Criticism wanted

Hey dbrn!

Thank you for the advice.

The price of the setup changes pretty drastically when quantum boards are introduced… I was looking at 1, maybe 2 BESTVA DC Series 2000W LED lights. They cost $235 so if I got 2 i’d be in for $470. The HLG-550 is around $1000… the DIY is around $800.

Is there a significant gain in quality \ yield by going with the quantums? Do you see a huge return on investment on the HLG-550 (or its DIY counterpart) over 2 of the Bestva’s?

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

2 Likes

Hey @elheffe702!!!

Thanks for checking in on this thread. I’ve had quite a few questions answered (Thank you all!). You were described as the small space grow master so I was just curious what your setup is or if you could lend any advice on lighting or equipment.

4x4x80" tent.

Thank you for reading and for your advice!

4x4 is about what I have, but it’s in 4, 2x2ish chunks lol

My journal is here: Closet/Frigidank™ perpetual grow

I’m not sure what specific advice I can give that hasn’t been covered in what I read. The basics are what they are…start with good genetics, dial in your environment, and get good meters :+1:

1 Like

I would definitely go with the 600 kit over the 550, even having growers lights assemble it’s still couple hundred bucks cheaper I think you’d be surprised at how much of a difference they can make. You should check out done of the journals in which they’re used.

Awesome! I will check out your journal.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Anytime! :v:

I will track down some of the grow journals.

But you think that the 600 kit, which with Potentiometer, built and tested… comes out to twice the price of 2 of the 2 BESTVA DC Series 2000W LED lights … the extra money spent will yield twice as good of product or the return on investment going from $470 to $800 is a worthwhile investment? That the price warrants the product?

Im just trying to get an idea of what is the best value… I will check out journals but I was just asking your opinion on the ‘best bang for the buck’ option.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

1 Like

It will probably be easier to grow with, yield more, and consume less energy. In my opinion, the quantum boards are a much better value.

You should maybe check to see if buying two of the xl-260 kits would be a little cheaper. I don’t think so, but if they’re about the same price that would give you a little more flexibility. It’s hard to keep up with all the prices with assembly and different goodies.

Dbrn,

Great advice. Thank you. I will look into the HLG 600H.

You had said you didnt know about pricing … here is the current pricing I could find.
2 Bestva’s = $470
2 xl-260’s, with Potentiometer, assembled and tested = $768 before shipping\tax
1 HLG 600H = with Potentiometer, assembled and tested = $761 before shipping\tax

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

1 Like

It definitely wouldn’t harm them lol i do it to keep room as clean as possible the fans will pick up alot of dust ect

1 Like

No problem! For what it’s worth, I believe growerslights ships for free.

Give white widow a try.
From a fellow anxious person.

I saw a difference in an hour from using a blurple led to a qb. The electricity use is so much lower also. And the next to no temp saves you on cooling costs.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice!

Have you ever tried blue dream, sour diesel or bruce banner ?

I picked them because Leafy lists that as the top ones for anxiety \ stress.

No joke? You saw a difference in your plants in an hour?

What did you switch from? and what is your setup? size and light setup.

That is incredible. Im looking for grow journals to see what double the cost of 2 BESTVA 2000 watt lights is but apparently its pretty significant.

Looks like I will have to save up a little bit more to afford the qb’s.

I was using vipra 600 blurple. I modified it and have 3 288 v2 kits(covers 2x6).
Maybe do that buy the boards a couple at a time.

Awesome!

Well I’ll probably end up going with the 600 kit. Im under no time constraints to get this done, I notoriously overplan so that’s where im at… maximizing my money through research and advice haha.

Out of curiosity, in regards to the final product… with a full grow of the blurple and a full grow with the 288’s … what differences did you see in yield, quality, ease of grow … etc?

Thank you for your help!

I went through my personal strain notes and blue dream should be good. Cannot say for the others.

One other I have noted here I forgot to mention is Chemdawg.

Have you grown blue dream?

It’s my first grow. Lol. The blurple made the leaves lay flat like a table. They liked it. But inside an hour they changed when I hung the new light.

this is before and after lst and defoliation. 1hour

3 Likes