New grower and New Tent. A little advice needed

So this is my second grow, first was two decades ago so I’m a bit rusty other than many hrs of reading about how others have grown. Ok so I am looking at this tent, it’s a 60x48x80 and here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-GROWNEER-Propagation-Hydroponic-Germination/dp/B07K8BKB9F/?tag=greenrel-20

I would like to use a QB board for the main area and use CFL’s or similar for the little proprogation side section. My budget is $300 for the main tent light and hopefully the two side sections will not be to expensive. Now for ventilation I was looking at the AC Infinity inline fan with a Phresh Carbon filter. Would y’all recommend a 4" or 6" fan size for the main section? And what do you do about venting the two smaller side sections? At the moment I will not be able to vent and light each section on their own, I will just have to add as I grow. Any advise or suggestions are welcome. This is a really nice forum, only been a member for a week or so been in the shadows reading for at least a month before I joined, didn’t want to embarrass myself anymore than necessary, lol. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Welcome!

Get the 6" so you have the extra capacity. You should be able to illuminate your main space with a QB for close to your budget. Suggest 3,000K or 3,500K. You don’t need a lot of ventilation in the propogation area as sprouts and clones like high humidity.

If you want to get someone’s attention just put the @ sign in front of their names like @PurpNGold74 @blackthumbbetty

5 Likes

First welcome to the community I vote get the 6-inch fan. you can run at a lower speed plus you have a lot more filter capacity. Good luck with your grow.

2 Likes

Mars has a sale on some of their lights, the Mars Recflector 192 is $273 but I MIGHT be able to get a QB kit that would work better but I have no idea which one it would be as there are many differ choices. Also on the brand of tent, there are others like Topogrow, Vivosun, etc in the same price range, I think @MattyBear has one but not sure which. And the Mars link is

mars-hydro 960w-led-grow-light-for-medical-plants-mars-hydro-for-sale

Thx everyone!!!

1 Like

I would try to get an HLG quantum board, but if you are also considering a Mars Hydro, the SP250 is the one to look for…
There’s a reason they have all the older lights on sale right now…
The SP and TS series are the newer models and they seem MUCH better than the older models…
2 of the SP250 or TSL2000 would be perfect on a 4x4 space, for 250 usd each…
Or just start with one and add an HLG qb later

mars-hydro 200-led-grow-lights-for-for-sale

1 Like

You could do top bin EB strips for about the same amount and have a better light with less power consumption. The stuff coming from overseas, in general, seems to be 10 year old tech.

1 Like

Yeah, i know DIY is really the way to go, but im just suggesting their newer models over the oldest ones…
If, for some reason you want a ready to hang light with a warranty, i sure can’t find better bang for your buck than those TS and SP mars hydros…
They keep emphasizing that the SP and TS series use the latest version of Epistar leds, and for the reviews I’ve seen (Shane from Migro has a good review on YouTube) the SP and the TS are by far the best chinese cheap lights right now…

2 Likes

Go Quantum boards or solskins @Nexus :+1::kangaroo:

3 Likes

That is only good news for us growers: when overseas gets their act together and start producing these fixtures with high quality components, it will blow a lot of them away.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the heads up on Mars light! I’m going to look around for HLG quantum board and driver. On the driver it would be nice to get the (ver B) which is supposed to have a dimmer on a cord. I must have spent almost two hours reading a thread on lighting by
@dbrn32 Probabaly forgotten some of it but good read never the less.

3 Likes

Here it is.

4 Likes

Drivers ending in “b” don’t come with dimmer on cord, just the have the cord for you to attach an external dimmer. If you go with “b” you need to purchase the dimming unit in addition to the driver is all. Most will use a 100k ohm resistor for dimming a single driver. They are only a few bucks if you go that route.

1 Like

Just a follow up…So I was measuring the room a few days ago trying to decide where to setup the tent. Well I thought everything was going to be fine then I looked up, there is a freaking ceiling fan square in the center. The reason I didn’t notice it before now is because the room is painted white, the ceiling is white, and the damn ceiling fan is WHITE…I swear I wanted to spit blood, lol! Then I thought well ok if I have to I can move the bed, chest of drawers, side table, tv, etc, etc, but it’s doable I thought until I looked up at the other end of the room. There is a ventilation shaft that runs across the ceiling and it is two foot wide, 12 foot long and 1 foot in height. So that side is out as well. This limits the tent size to no more than 3 feet deep and that gives about an inch of clearance before the fan smacks the tent, there is plenty of room length and height wise. I still want a 2 in 1 tent so I can have the little side area for small stuff and the main grow area would be 3x3 foot. Right now I think that is the way I am going to be forced to go, until the basement is cleaned out from kids toys and MOLD. Found a light that I think will work for the 3x3’ area it’s a “260w RSPEC DEEP-RED Dimmable Niemi LED Grow Light Powered With Samsung LM301B & OSRAM 660NM Diodes” for a little over $315ish. Once I get more together I will start a new thread, it will be about a month before I can start up. Supposed to go out of town for four days, maybe five and didn’t want to leave for that amount of time in the middle of a grow. I will play it safe and wait until I get back. Just an update…Cheers!!!