New grower and first grow journal

Do you mind explaining the microbial count?

1 Like

@jetlag
Yes, many, if not all, quality bagged top soils, are sterilized, water promotes microbial activity and from there they multiply. Nutrients like sulfur are broken down in the digestive track and released as a usable plant food (micro poo). It’s good to have a microbial count that breaks down enough nutrients to feed the plant before nutrient amendments are determined and added.

Sterilized soil is cold with locked up nutrients that only microbes can break down.

1 Like

@Shatter
Fantastic, so watering well a few days before is the ticket. Thanks

1 Like

Just another vote for your greenhouse. Nice space you have there :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Davyg
Thank you very much

2 Likes

@CoyoteCody
@FlxerPower
@Bulldognuts
@Davyg
@Shatter
Pictures taken today. First pic is the one that was looking the worst and I fertilized and watered yesterday. The first set of bottom leaves was done for, so I cut them off. The other two photos and the WW Auto were thoroughly watered today, no nutes. Underneath that yellow leaf, first photo, it is growing new leaves, so that is hopeful. The Auto is showing some yellow discoloration in the bottom leaves two days after transplanting. It looks ok though, trying to outgrow the photos

4 Likes

Out of likes but looking good!!

Greenhouse is beautiful! I mean really. Im jealous.

What are your plans for ventilation?

The yellowing makes me nervous, lol. Today my new Apera EC-60 tds meter arrived .Played with it, should have been calibrated from factory according to manual. I tested plain water PH corrected at 387ppm, and out of the plant at 187ppm. I need to read the cheat sheet from @FlxerPower to see what it means.

Thank you, right now I have a heavy duty fan on the ground by the door. Today it was 80F here, early spring, but will be in the 60’s in a few days. The greenhouse was hitting 90F. I was thinking of putting them outside, specially the photos. I can set up drip system or manual. We had trips planned to Grand Cayman this month and Dominican Republic in June, but Coronavirus took care of them, so I will be here. Summertime temps range from the mid 80’s to mid 90’s in a hot July. What are your thoughts?

Actually the greenhouse was closer to 95F but humidity is low right now, so it didn’t feel bad inside. Summer will be different. I may need another fan in the back just to suck hot air out

One picture you can see the top of the fan near the bottom of picture. It can really blow some air. I am running it on low, and it has three speeds

2 Likes

But, of course I uploaded wrong picture. Here we go again

2 Likes

My guess is hungry, but I am super new, so dont hold me to it.

Lol, so one got just a little bit of nutes yesterday and the others water. But from everything I read from the wizards here, they should be fine for quite a while with the soil I am using. I wonder if the fact they are in the pea pots, and maybe the roots have not yet broken out into the ocean forest soil yet

1 Like

So, I’m late to the game…

Wow! What an amazing greenhouse. Killer space man. You got it done correct!

3 Likes

Looks like @Shatter called it early. I had originally said you shouldn’t have to feed with the FF soil. If your meter is reading correctly you may need to feed. You also may correct about peat pots slowing root development.

Thanks, when they were seedlings still in the rooter plugs, and I probably kept them there a bit long, they started yellowing. I was told they needed food, which made sense. I fed them ILGM seedling fertilizer and they were good as new in a couple of days. They went in the pea pots after that, and I may have fertilized them one more time

2 Likes

@Shatter
prepared a three gallon grow bag for the sister to the one WW Auto already transplanted. It is coming along nicely now, so it is almost time. The bag has been ready for two days now. I have run water through the 50/50 mixture of FFHF and FFOF three times including this afternoon. The PH of water going in was 6.2, and 6.3 from the runoff. Not quite sure what it means. The PPM count going in was 385, and 180 coming out.

2 Likes

I would install a ventilation fan at the top on one side.

Ideally you would have a large exhaust fan at at the top and an intake vent or possibly fan on the opposite side at the bottom.

I have the one at the bottom and thinking one at the back door facing out to suck the hot air out might help. I do have the four automatic openers at the top. I will research exhaust fans in the next few days