New Grower 4x4 Set Up Advice Needed

Get air flow under the bottom of the fabric pots. Not good to have your pot sitting in water

5 Likes

Ok that actually makes more sense lol sorry im new to all this

1 Like

And is there a bigger HLG light that would be good for a 4x4 to keep my from having to buy 2 lights? Or is the 2 lights a better choice?

1 Like

Personally the 2 offers better coverage. You can also raise and lower lights as needed separately. While the big one its the whole thing.

5 Likes

Two lights will give you some flexibility. And yes you can buy one big light. Personally I like the option of having two .

5 Likes

Sounds like it would be a better idea to get the 2 lights rather than 1. Thanks guys this has been real helpful

4 Likes

Last question. Just want to know everyones favorite strain or strain combos

Based on my experience growing both last grow, go with the photos. My autos took just as long as the photos and produced a small fraction of what the photos produced. Autos also get stressed very easily!

5 Likes

Yes im going with photoperiods. Mr Canuks Grow is the one who convinced me into autoflowers. But now that I see the only difference really is size but thanks. I will deffinately go with photoperiods

2 Likes

Good strains to start with is White Widow, Northern.Lights and AK-47. :+1:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been pretty blown away by any of the photo strains Iā€™ve gotten from ilgm indica or sativašŸ‘ Check out @Hellraiser grow journal great info to get started!

3 Likes

There is also a HLG 550 some use, excellent light!

2 Likes

Plus being able to turn one up or down too. Frankly I donā€™t need to run them flat out and of course the least expensive to operate.

5 Likes

I normally run mine full blast but the Crntral Air went down. So I only have 1 light cranked down to the lowest setting. :+1:

Hereā€™s my thinking: if you order 20 seeds thatā€™s usually less than $6 per seed. If you want 4 vigorous heavy yielding plants, you pop 10 seeds and cull the weakest/least desirable as they fill out the tent. You spend a rounding $36 extra on seeds, and no more money on electricity. Itā€™s basically a rounding error if youā€™re harvesting a pound worth of dried flower.

You can give the unwanted plants away to friends, or throw them into a veg tent as a backup. But Iā€™d keep only the best.

I would also stay away from autoflower and go strictly photoperiod if your goal is yield.

4 Likes

What effect are you interested in? What cultivars have given you those effects?

For me, Blackberry Kush and Gold Leaf have the soporific effect Iā€™m after. Blueberry is one of my favorites, and is about as ā€œupā€ as I go. Iā€™m not terribly interested in the mentally stimulating effects of some strains, although once in a blue moon Iā€™ll go for something psychedelic.

@JraycoGrow little late to this but I 2nd what everyone else is saying on here. The lights are super easy to put together. If you can only do one light right now and get the 2nd one before flower works that should be ok. My wife and I are new to indoor growing and have 2 of the HLG 260 rspec, but are only using 1 for veg. If you would like to check out our set up i can tag you in my wifes journal!

1 Like

It looks like you have been given all the answers here all ready :grin: Just my 02here. If you plan on doing an auto down the road. And want more than an oz or 2. I would look at using coco or promix. I have had slightly faster autos. But most run right along the same time line as photos. They also yield about the same.
I agree finally. photos are probably best to start with. A lot more room for any starting issues. I started with autos. but lucked out and found some great mentors to help me out. I have been hooked on autos since. I just have good luck with them I will be tagging a long now :grin:

Yes can you tag me in that journal please. I probaby will just only start with one until I can ge the other. I had honestly thought about it but wasnt sure if one would work

1 Like

Done! Its doing good so far!

1 Like