New Grower 4x4 Set Up Advice Needed

So Im getting a Mars-Hydro 4x4 Tent, For ventilation I plan on using the AC Infinity Cloudline T6, Ive been using Fox Farm Ocean Forest in 5 Gallon Pot with Fox Farm Nutrients. I plan on growing autos and photos in this tent but I want to start off with autos being that im a new grower i figured it would be harder to make mistakes. How many of each could I fit in this tent? And what would be the best light to get for this size space? Ive looked at the Mars Hydro 2000 & 3000 but i think im leaning more towards an MH for veg and HPS for flower. Money isnt an issue id rather save up and get quality equipment just looking for the best reccomendation for this set up

2 Likes

First look at HLG 260xl rspec. They run cooler and produce better results. If you are ok only getting a few ounces, then go with say a Viparspectra PAR600 times 2.

HLG is king. The HPS is going to run hot.

I use 2 HLG 260xl rspec in my 4x4x80”.

The top photo has 4 Photos and bottom is one from the other photo that was 7’6” x 8’ plant. :+1:

4 Likes

Nice plants you have there and my actual goal is to obtain the highest yeild possible. So should I go with the 2 HLG 260XL? And how many autoflowers could I fit if I did just autos? And how many photoperiods you think i could fit if i were to do just photos?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community ! 4 x 4 space you can squeeze in 4 plants. HLG 260 v2 R-Spec XL would be a good fit for your space you will need two lights you’re looking at about seven hundred bucks. As @MrPeat mentioned these are quality lights.

3 Likes

@JraycoGrow Yes 2 of those lights will ensure you get a good harvest from Photos. I hate Autos because you can’t control them at all. They do what they want, when they want. I prefer full control. :+1:

I grow super monsters so I can fill my 16 sq feet with just one plant. Autos you just never know. You should get 4 Autos in a 4x4 tent.

Photos I wouldn’t do more than 2.

2 Likes

Ok thanks guys. Now its time to order my seeds lol

1 Like

Go photos! Got time to correct problems if they occur before flowering, I gotta 4x4 with 2 260xl very happy with results

5 Likes

I completely disagree with the notion that autos are easier for a new grower. You have to have your setup dialed in if you want meaningful yields with autoflower. Here’s the problem: anything that the plant doesn’t like translates into slow or stalled growth. Which means a smaller plant and yield at harvest.

A photoperiod plant on the other hand can be kept in veg until YOU want to flower. When the plants are the right size for your space you flip to flower.

In FFOF you won’t need anything but PH’d water for at least 6 weeks.

The two most important tools you will own are a decent PH and TDS meter. Strips, drops and those 3 in 1 meters are all nowhere near accurate enough for our needs.

Spend the money for the best lights possible. That Mars light is new with not much history to know if it does a good job or not. If you are in a cold climate then MH/HPS or CMH might be good but failing that the best lighting going today is from HLG. If you can manage it that’s my first choice.

6 Likes

:point_up::point_up: Agree completely. Mistakes are tough on autos.

4 Likes

Well autoflowers have a quicker flowering time which im interested in as well. Thats why i was interested in growing both photos and autos so ill be able have to have large yeilds with my photos while having the benefits of fast flowering time with the autos as well but i figured starting out I should just start with one or the other

2 Likes

@MrHomeGrown Actually they don’t. You can have a Auto growing for 16 weeks and only get 1 oz. i just did two Autos and they take just as long as a Photo.

You are now talking with experienced growers with some mad skills. I grow 12/12 start to finish. I also grow Super Monsters. I’m the anomaly in growing cannabis. :+1:

2 Likes

@Not2SureYet is one of the best autoflower growers I know: maybe he can give advice (although he grows in coco)

Autoflowering plants often don’t respond like you think. Many have to be put on 12/12 and like @MrPeat pointed out that some will go WAY longer: and you have NO say in it lol.

Seriously; start with photoperiod.

5 Likes

Ok thanks guys I think ill go with photos. i was just going based off the information on the website lol. It said autoflowers have a shorter flower time and tend to be smaller plants. Ive actually never heard of autoflowers before watching Mr Canuks Grow on youtube. And im open to trying new methods such as coco or hydroponics but as of right now im just sticking to the soil

3 Likes

@JraycoGrow You are in the right place. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

And for those HLG 260’s. Will I have to assemble this light myself?

3 Likes

You can pay for it to be done. They are easy to put together. @dbrn32 is the Light Guru so he csn link the proper video to watch. :+1:

4 Likes

Ive actully seen him on almost every forum on here lol was actually hoping he would happen to see this as well

3 Likes

@MrHomeGrown Hlg has videos that you can watch and put it together. if you can drive a car you can put these lights together. They are that easy . Here’s a picture just to show you 4x4 space. two photos in the front two Autos in back.

6 Likes

Here’s one

Plenty more too if you’d like different perspectives.

7 Likes

Those look like some real healthy plants. May I ask you why the screen on the bottom? Is that for better drainage?

3 Likes