New grow room set up, trying to dial in, major issues

Hello fellow growers! I’ve been reading over a ton of different threads to try to determine my issues, but figured it best to fill this out to get the most accurate advice from the pros.
I’ve been growing medical for two years in a facility using town water. I have recently set up a new grow and I am now trying to dial everything in. My biggest struggle has been using well water as opposed to town water that the girls are used to. My well water is running at a ph of 8 compared to 7 at my other grow.

I brought 6 little girls down(appx a foot tall in 2 gallon white bags) to get dialed in and had too much of a temp and humidity swing, first time running only floursent and 1 hps at 50% along with higher ph water with lots of ph down, possible vocs from paint/epoxy, no fresh air due to fully sealed off. They took too much of a hit, and stopped growing that I gave them to neighbors for outdoor.

I now have liquid co2, sensor showing appx 600-800 ppm with lights on, bought better ph down(only need drops), doing a water feed test with 3 separate plants using my well water, Poland spring, and town water brought from my shop that I know they like. I’m now able to maintain tighter conditions with only about a 10 deg swing and 10-15% humidity diff with lights out.

Strain; all clones, Pineapple Express, Blue Dream, Silver Kush and Pre-98 Bubba Kush

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Soil in pots,

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? 6.2 to feed, and water run off around 6.6 - 6.8

What is strength of nutrient mix? Using Protekt, and Maia Grow A (2-0-2) and B(0-2-2) and small amount of hardener(1-6-4) comes out at appx. 1200-1400 ppm.

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size? Completely sealed appx 15’ x 20’ veg room, with three air-cooled ducted lights down the middle, two 1000 watt hps, one 1000 watt MH, and two t5 fluorescents, (one 4 and one 8 bulb) Light schedule is 18 on, 6 off.

Temps; avg is 75, high - 80, low - 70

Humidity; avg is 60% high - 70%, low 55%

Ventilation system; 8 inch fan for ducted lights, but no fresh air intake.

I have AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, and heater. (Just put floor a/c ducted out, in today due to 82 deg, when I checked conditions)

Co2; Yes, 600-800 ppms

The plants were showing every different difficiency symptom after first week. Leaves curling up , curling down, yellowing, brown spots, stunted growth, wilting leaves. Lots of pics to show. Thanks to everyone in advance for any and all help and advice!

Pics of the three water test plants and also two new ones that I recently put in the room now that condition as are better…

Uploading…

I really wanted to run a sealed room at my new place to avoid any mold spores, bugs, etc… I also have 4 wall fans and two floor fans, not directly on the plants.

I’m thinking I may need to cut a new hole for a fresh air intake and possibly use a big hepa filter mushroom head?

I put my carbon filter in the room for a 24 hour cycle hoping to freshen things up in the room, but it seemed to spike the temp and humidity so I’ve removed it and added a big floor a/c.

Did a basic water test and had a cloriform(sp?) bacteria and have since bleached well and will be getting full c9mprehensive test with all minerals etc.

I have flushed all plants with 6.2 ph water only after first big sign of issues thinking it was nutrient burn, ph issue, or lock out. They didn’t seem to come out of it much.

Here’s a pic of the corner with a couple bigger girls recently added.

1 Like

im going to pray for you and your children. you need someone with more experience than me because im spotting so many problems my head is spinning and i don’t know where to start @garrigan62

Looks like you have a few issues going on, one I notice is a Zinc deficiency.
Too be honest, I think you are overfeeding possibly causing lockout issues. Too much K can cause this.

What kind of soil are you using. Also,any damaged leaves is likely permanent, you will only know if you fixed the problem from flushing rhe plants on new growth.

1 Like

@Gfunk

Can you please post a close up of the plants so that we can have a better look at your problem.

The 2nd post is full of closeups @garrigan62

@Gfunk

I HAVE THE SAME THING GOING ON !!

You have a few issues going on here.

One is: your lights may be to close. See how your leaf’s are curling up. The leaf is trying to shade it self from the heat coming off the light.

2nd Here are a couple of pic’s of

" POTASSIUM "

Potassium%232

1134potassiumdef2

Potassium (K) Mobile Element and Macro Element

Potassium plays a big role as well. Having good amounts of potassium in your
plants helps in having sturdy and thick stems, disease-resistance, water
respiration, as well aids in photosynthesis. Potassium is also found in the
whole plant. It is necessary for all activities having to do with water transportation.
Potassium is necessary for all stages of growth, especially important in the development of Buds.

Having to little of Potassium in your plants causes the plants leaves to show
retarded growth and show a scorched tip and edges around the leaves. Plants may
stretch and your branches can be easily broken or weak. Don’t get this deficiency
confused with iron, because it almost acts like iron but to tell the difference
in the two is: for potassium the tips of the leaves curl and the edges burn and die.
Older leaves may show a red color and leaves could curl upwards. Dead patches (Necrosis)
can happen on the margins of larger fan leaves thus, the leaves will eventually die
off and turn brown. The Older leaves will show different patches of color (mottle)
and turn yellow between the veins, following by whole leaves that turn dark yellow
and die. The plants overall growth slows down, mostly when they are in vegetative stage.
To little amount of potassium also slows the growth of buds during flowering stages.
Dark edges will appear around the edges of the leaf when the deficiency is starting
to happen. When your Relative humidity is low, you can almost bet your going to soon
get a potassium deficiency from your plants perspiration.
Potassium can get poorly absorbed when having too much Calcium or ammonium nitrogen,
and maybe cold weather. Having to much sodium (Na) causes potassium to be displaced.
SO keep those in mind… Parts affected by a Potassium Deficiency are:
older leaves and leaf margins.

When you have too much Potassium in your soil, it can lead to big troubles, like
salt damage and acid fixation of the root system, as well as too much potassium
can cause a calcium deficiency. Your fan leaves will show like a light to a dark
yellow to whitish color in between the veins. Due to a molecular imbalance,
potassium toxicity can cause a reduced uptake and lead to the deficiencies of Mg,
and in some cases, Ca. Also leads to the other nutrients to not be absorbed properly
leading to lots of other deficiency such as: magnesium, manganese, zinc and iron and
can cause problems with calcium as well.

Problems with Potassium being locked out by PH troubles
Soils with excessive Leeching and High ph soils and or water.Soils that are
potassium fixated. An excess of kitchen salts (sodium) in the root system/enviroment.

Soil

Potassium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 4.0-5.5
Potassium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.0-9.5. (Wouldn’t recommend having
a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Potassium deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Potassium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 4.0-4.5, 6.0-6.5.
Potassium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 4.7-5.3, 6.7-8.5.
(Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for
hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute
to a potassium deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Potassium deficiency

Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have potassium in them will fix a potassium deficiency.
Again Peters All Purpose plant food 20-20-20, will cure the potassium deficiency ,
Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food.( Only mixing at
½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) Some other
supplements of potassium are: Wood ashes, which are fast absorption, Kelp Meal, which
is medium absorption, Greensand, which is slow absorption, granite dust, which is slow
absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Sulfate of Potash Magnesia, Muriate of Potash, which are
medium absorption. FOXFARM GROW BIG HYDROPONIC CONCENTRATE, which is fast absorption.
(FFGB can bring your ph down as well) Earth Juice Meta-K, which is fast acting.
(Can bring down your ph as well) Leaves will never recover, but the plant will show
recovery after about 4 to 5 days when using a fast acting nutrient.

Note: Wood Ashes, can make your ph go up a bit, so please monitor your ph when using it.
Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your
plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use
2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and
need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough
to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Wrote By
Stitch
Posted By
Garrigan65

3 Likes

I really think you’re having lockout issues. If your runoff ppm is 1400 that’s a bit high. You’re watering at 6.2 but it’s coming out at 6.8 which means your soil ph is around 7.5 or so.

Thank you all for the input, very helpful!! Things are coming around now that I’m using different water and ph is better, I agree with it being a big lock out issue since it seem to show multiple deficiency symptoms.

Had the a/c in last night and they were praying this am, was also probably too hot

1 Like

and all of a sudden why that happens makes sense

Funny, I had the same thing happening to all of my plants. Sound advice about needing K. Just looked at my girls after adding wood ash yesterday. Already see improvement. Keep posting updates and happy growing!!

Strokeman

Things are looking much better now, thanks again for all the advice and input. I actually got some “Recharge” and some foliar spray to hit em with, and have seen huge improvements. Also bleached my well to clean out any bacteria or containment’s, and will be testing that on my next watering

6 Likes