New grow New problems - Brown spots and lower leaves yellowing

Howdy folks!
Semi new here. Couple posts and mostly lurking. I finished my first tent grow January and started a fresh batch of photo seeds from ILGM on Feb 1st. 5 strains… Skywalker, Blueberry, Girl Scout Cookies Extreme, Gold Leaf, & Chronic Widow. All sprouted pretty much the same and were doing well first couple weeks. I’m using a 50/50 mix of old FoxFarm Happy Frog and Ocean Frost with some added perlite. Will use fresh soil when I repot, No PH’d water at first, but I started at 6.5 ph level when I noticed the trouble.

Anyway… My plants looked great starting off, but soon had small brown spots on the leaves, then the leaves began turning yellow. At first I thought it was PH, so I got serious about ensuring I was at 6.5. I’m on a well, so no chlorine or city water issues.
Plants began to look better at first, but then all of them started really showing this problem. reading up I see this could be possible cal-mag issue, so I start feeding cal mag. No deal. I figure maybe start nutes up as the girls are all around a month at this point. They picked right up, but the spots and yellowing are still there. Now I’m reading it may be Manganese? My question is… Where can one find manganese in a form a plant can take in? I see it’s an ingredient in the FoxFarm nutes I have, but I don’t want to overfeed the plants just to get them the manganese they apparently want. Is there anything out there specifically to treat a manganese deficiency? The plants all seem to bee doing alright despite whateever the problem is, at least for now, but I’m going to be transplanting them up into arger containers and would like to solve this before then if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Here’s some pics…

Here’s another plant…
This is the last one…
I probably should have started out with fresh soil, but here we are now. I don’t think this is a watering problem. Been watching to prevent overwatering. Shouldn’t be nute burn as I wasn’t using any until tthis problem began showing. Thanks again for your help.

They need transplanted. I’d do it very soon.

Your plants won’t need nutes until at least 4 weeks after your last transplant.

1 Like

Ok… I’m planning on the transplant, but that doesn’t address the brown spots or yellowing leaves. That’s been an issue almost from the start. I mentioned I was reusing soil from the previous grow. I only started nutes once I read this could be a deficiency of some sort. Week ago at most and very light below half strength. Was hoping to have this solved before transplanting, but I can deal with it after if need be.

Also on the transplanting… I’v been holding off until I see roots coming out the bottom of the pots. Is that not a good way to tell they need transplanting? So far… Nothing.

I suspect they are rootbound and that is driving the issues you are seeing.

If you are reusing soil then it would be a good idea to get a PPM meter so you can understand what is in your soil. Transplant, water to runoff, measure runoff PPM, and go from there is what I would do if they were mine.

3 Likes

Have to agree with fixerpower, looks rootbound is causing your issue IMO.

2 Likes

Transplanting into good unused soil like fox farms ocean forest or happy frog will solve most of your plant’s problems, no reason to hold off on that. It looks to me as an advanced calmag deficiency and adding calmag too late will not fix the already damaged leafs. It is root bound as the others have said already. Remove the damaged leaves and transplant.

3 Likes

I concur doctor…
Yep pot up with fresh soil and will usually correct issues.

3 Likes

agreed… transplant soon… i would also consider flushing them in the small containers during the transplant so ensure there arent built up salts or anything in the used soil… just a thought

2 Likes

Okay! lol!

I actually re-potted the day after I posted. I wish I took pics, but to me, the plants didn’t appear to b root bound at all, but I will say they sure made a nice comeback, so a big thanks to you all! They’re in their big pots now and have lots of room to grow. Looking real nice. Sure do appreciate the help!

1 Like