New grow,issues

@aussie123556 What is the brand name of your nutrients, please?

FRankly, I would go crazy with all of the in’s and out’s. Because I feed continuously (autopots) I run a weakened solution of nutes and do not follow the manufacturers recommendations. Personally, I would go with 1ml/L of parts A&B and go easy on the cal/mag such as 1ml/L. See what that gives you for a ppm. If it’s in the vicinity of 600ppm I think that is a good starting point. Then water till runoff at least twice daily.

In coco, more watering draws more oxygen into the medium (because of the heavy runoff). They look a bit overwatered which could mean you need more runoff or to water/feed more frequently. I would feed them an approx. half strength formula as outlined above.

I do not recommend allowing the dry out (though some do).

@aussie123556

2 Likes

I posted a nutrient deficiency and excess chart above. take a look over that while we are waiting for some help.

1 Like

@aussie123556 What are you using for water? I am quite lucky as my Tap comes out at 45ppm.

If you have hard water you do not need all that cal mag as that is for use with RO or distilled or other water types that lack mineral content.

2 Likes

@screwauger…lol i have done a mountain of reading lately but all this has been a life saver for me learning an having some direction for now anyway.is funny you say that tho…i am a bit ocd with things an double tripple check sometimes…lol.always cleaning or doing something in the backyard garden.watchin neela bakore plant biology vids on youtube till my eyes bleed…hee hee,i think i did that adding calmag aswell at the start with the grow a+b.i think even tho my ppm was low,the nitrogen level or percentage would of been way high…i guess?tap water 100ppm. was using 0ppm distilled water at the start,

2 Likes

i gotta go for now,will be back tomorrow,good night all an tks again for the help :sunglasses:

One other thing came to mind @aussie123556

Feed every watering (which is why I use a weakened solution of nutes). No water, water, feed or other ideas, just weak nute solution every time you water so for me, water=Feed.

I am hand watering two outdoor plants in a 10 gallon smart pot with coco/perlite for a medium.

Early on I got some nitrogen problems because I was trying to water like soil (couple days between feedings). It’s easy to do but don’t do it…I feed the outdoor gals twice daily with weak solution ph 5.8 and I use epsom salts instead of cal mag.

I need the cal/mag/Epsom because of the low ppm of my tap. If your starting water is above 150ppm, less cal mag is required generally speaking.

Gonna tag @Donaldj over for a review of my advice and to correct anything that may be incorrect.

2 Likes

I am reading lol and noticing a picture of plants twisted growth? and yes completely agree coco you feed almost every water and looks to me like Mag def

not discolouration but the twisting growth I would treat for Mag and feed at .7 ec 300-350ppm every water they look hungry and sometimes though we feed we forget that a piece of fruit can beat a steak when our guts are bugging us :wink: With too high ppm it can be like toxic soup hungry or not sometimes less is more

3 Likes

Bingo, thanks for that @Donaldj

Heed these words @aussie123556

and thanks @bob31 for pulling me over here. Man I love this site!!

2 Likes

@Screwauger @Donaldj thanks for the assist!

1 Like

@Donaldj@bob31Screwauger,wow tks for that,that was what i did with the smaller ones an they took off,looking great happy hands reaching,.with the 145ppm an 5.8ph mix,gave the somango the same, the somango still looks the same a little better maybe…definately not worse,will up the mag for the somango slightly, an watch closely,tks again fr the awesome quick responses…if you guys were here be my shout…for sure…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok sounds good @aussie123556 make sure you check in frequently so we know how they’re doing!

1 Like

bob31Regular mix of the grow a+b came out at 259ppm,checked an checked again,ph 5.8 an added sugars aswell.everything sterilised before an after making the mix.will run daily with very small runoff an give update soon. have another question about lighting but maybe another time.?or different thread.?.or more on the range of 400-700 umols recommended for plant growth.an having the experience to have seen results at diff heights is what killing me,no matter how much reading or info i look at,until i do an see it for myself i wont know i spose…i wish i could invent a strap that went round the plant an gave full diagnosis of what’s going on.or has that been done already…lol :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Good Day @aussie123556 one thing you could do is to create a grow journal on here and document exactly what you are doing, like a diary.

What does that mean? Added Sugars?

Re,e,ber to check the pH of your mix after everything is added to it and just before you want to use it.

You can ask other questions, no problems. Happy to help!

@aussie123556

PS if you type @b You will get a pop-up list of names and mine will be there just choose from list.

unfortunately, typing or pasting bob31Regular doesnt tag me. It needs to look exactly like this for the tag to work @bob31

PS my little sister lives in NSW

:smiley: :palm_tree: :+1: :ok_hand:

@bob31,hi thr,yeah am doing a journal aswell,adding everynight.will post weelky or so i thought on this site to…nsw…yeah i’m close…lol.small world.the sugars i add are a mix from the hydro store i think is a blueberry or something…0-0-1 an i have molasses aswell but havn’t used yet,i added microryza to medium when first mixed,sprinkled in.havn’t added any more tho with any feeding or anything.just at the start.nsw is a great state ,great beaches an weather,an people,depending on where you go tho,as anywhere.i recommend a holiday 1 day.lol,

I coming over for my first visit next year. In the Fall (your fall). Greatly looking forward to it.

I am not familiar with adding sugars or anything except I hear a lot of caution that sweet can draw bugs, so keep that in mind. as far as the microryza it would depend on the brand and their directions on how you use it. I would see what they recommend. I don’t really use anything except nutrients and soil and I have pretty good luck.

Here is my grow if you want to get some ideas

@bob regular i only added the sugars as i’d watched a few grow vids an all seemed to add sugars wheneva using microbes.after some reading,it seemed the sugars feed the microbes which in turn keep everything down there good,or is there not point really with coco for sugars or microbes,?was just trying to do it right a cover all bases,time isn’t an issue for me or buying something if really needed,probably went overboard at the start buying stuff excitedly…lol,great thread aswell,i see you like nascar golf an beer,we will get along swimmingly…hee hee…

nope, I have no clue. So if it seems to work then ok. Just be careful. They aree a lot of people on the internet that swear that what they say works. Like looking at seeds and being able to tell if they are male or female…

Just saying it’s not a bad thing to get a second opinion before you try something. Since i’m a dirt grower I’m really not the person to ask about some of this stuff! haha @aussie123556

1 Like

@aussie123556

I am just into my first grow in coco. To keep it simple my first run I chose a fairly simple nutrient schedule with a goal to keep it uncomplicated.

That said, my next grow will be auto’s and I follow a grower on another site who only grows auto’s and only grows in coco (bonus he only grows in autopots which is what I use). He gets amazing results from his grows and he does use moderate amounts of “sugars” in the final push to harvest. He uses Adv. Nutrients pH perfect sensi grow/bloom and supplements with Big Bud, Bud Candy and Terpinator (not a sugar).

The answer is yes, I think there is a role for “sugars” in coco but the rule of thumb with coco, because you feed nearly every watering and/or often, is to keep the additives and base nutes weaker than manufacturers recommendations. He uses all additives at 1ml/l or for me 3.8ml/gallon. Never higher than that but of course your results may vary and I have never done this but intend to in a month or so.

3 Likes