New grow,issues

hello,new to the forum an loving all the great threads an info,my friend has had some issues lately on his first attempt,after weeks of reading an reading an some more reading.i think the low light an nearly killing it at the first 10 days has affected maybe slowing growth but we have no idea,it was under the recommended light range of 400-700 umols.was at 80umols for 10 days an corrrected to 450umols since, or lux times 100 on my meter…since then he’s been trying to get ph an ppm right.his lack of experience is killing him atm…the light is 600watt mh with glass covered hood with 6inch inline fan an a 4 inch intake fan,6inch carbon filter,oscilating fan,in a 4x4x6 feet tent.is day 34 not counting the 8-10 days the sprout almost died as was way under the recommended light range…as he didn’t have a light meter,was flushed 2 days ago an the ph was 6.1 an went in at 5.8,ph…the ppm was 475 which he realise now was way to high.is in coco with perlite an clay balls in it also.30% perlite,70% coco.maybe even more than 30% perlite an clay balls.it had a feed of 250 ppm round day 23 he found out he was giving a very high dose of nitrogen.calmag was added an it was already in the grow a+b nutrients.5-1-7 on each bottle,plus the calmag added aswell when it was in the grow a+b already,sillily. an had slight yellowing.an even after a flush the otherday is still like this twisting.like what iv’e read,nitrogen tocity.?the ppm was 60 after flush an ph 6.0…that was 2 days ago.should he flush again to get to 0ppm…or is he way off.?temps an humdity have been good.almost perfect some days 77 degrees fareinheight an 75% humidity.occasionally temps dropping to 66 on lights out 18 on/6 off.also.the pot size is an 8inch pot upgraded from a 3 inch.roots already just showing at the bottom after 7 day from transplant.also ive been reading that in coco it should be watered or fed daily?.i have been waiting for it to become dryish atleast 2 inches down before watering.but still moist at the bottom barely.usually 2 days or so.even with the smaller pot was the same.could this be the cause of the slow growth,not enough watering or feeding?(.somango strain.)or should he be watering daily.he usually gets alot of runoff, he put 2 litres in a 1 an half came out.he’s hurting as he’s hurting his baby,the next 5 nemisis sprouts seem fine.any info would be great.we’ve done alot of reading together but until you actually see it in action,is lovely to watch it grow,but he hates hurting it with not knowing quiet how it’s reacting an i cant help either just a by stander so far trying to help.any help would be appreciated as we don’t really talk to anyone about this where we live an there is so much conflicting info around an is why i love this forum aswell.i tried to ask a few questions on other threads or start a new one,sorry everyone i wasn’t sure if i had to do that…tks again for this forum is amazing.if an sorry if i’m not explaning anything clearly or bad grammer inadvanced. :slight_smile:![day 34|

3 Likes

Looks like everything worked! Good job! Only trouble is that I’m pooped. I got up early and couldn’t get back to sleep. I catch up with this first thing in the morning but maybe somebody else will come by and lend a hand. @Coltfire @Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster

lol…is all good mate,have a good rest an tomorrow you will be a new you hee hee.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok @aussie123556 First and foremost, welcome to ILGM! You’ve certainly come to the right place. We have other Aussies on here as well, though their usernames elude me at the moment.

Sounds like you have the tent, intake and exhaust and light figured out. I will tell you that sprouts readlly seem to do better under CFL bulbs or small tube florescent like a T-5. Make sure you keep a check on what the manufacturer recommends for the height above the plants.

Coco can be a challenging growing medium. I grow in soil, but what I know is that it is important to keep your pH very close to 5.8. Seems like you are on top of that. Next watering go in at 5.7 and see if the runoff isn’t like 6.0

Coco requires more frequent watering. Every couple of days from what I understand.

PPM is important, however have you checked the TDS of the water before you give it? It isn’t uncommon to get TDS readings of 300 plus, right from our drinking water.

If you are using water from a municipal source it really needs to be drawn and placed in an open container at room temp for 24-48 hours to allow the chlorinating chemicals to evaporate. Chlorine and and similar chemicals can harm MJ plants as well.

It is also my understanding that coco has no nutrients in it and that you need to give nutrients at a young age, however that is something i can’t advise you on, though someone will certainly come along and speak on that.

Would I would like you to do is copy and paste this support ticket into your next post and answer the questions. It helps us to be sure we don’t miss anything.

Don’t forget to tag me like @bob31

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

Age from Sprout:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Also here is a Deficiencies & Excesses Chart to help you identify what is wrong with your plants

Nutrient_Chart2

1 Like

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:nemesis feminised

Age from Sprout: 33 days

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:5 gallon pots,coco mixed with 10% perlite,

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?i feed daily with nutrients an once a week just water.read others from their grows about when to feed.

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:
Indoor or Outdoor:4x4x6 feet tent,reflective inside.825ppm an 5.9ph atm

Light system, size and height from plants:600watt mh,glass hooded,grow lush brand.always between 300-600 umols,or lux multiply by 100 on my light metre.
Temps; Day, Night:day min-68 degrees farenheight max 77,lights out down to 66.has been good

Humidity; Day, Night:80% when sprayed inside every few hours an minimum of 50% if i don’t spray

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:yes,6 inch inline fan 430cfm approx,4 inch intake fan blowing outside air in an always on 24/7,oscilating fan blowing lightly aswell 24/7,

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:yes,takes a gllon of water an runs 24 hrs,brings humidity up above 50% always,whithout it was 25-30% as fans run 24/7

Co2; Yes, No:no,somango was my trial run,nemesis will be the journal from now :slight_smile:

sorry that wasn’t short to the point,will work on that for future posts.tks again for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha no worries. Tagging for an assist!

@Screwauger @ktreez420

2 Likes

Hello, welcome and I will add what I can.

I am growing in coco/perlite, indoors under roughly 600w of LED and CFL.

I am relatively new to coco growing and my crop is 27 days in flower and doing fairly well.

You can’t overwater using coco because of it’s inability to hold onto excesses. The only real danger is not watering/feeding to runoff. Not achieving a 10% plus runoff will lead to nutrient lockout so water fairly heavily and often (1x, 2x or even 3x dailly). Coco perfoms best when never allowed to dry out (though there are some schools of thought that in veg, dry periods are ok). Personally, I water outdoors twice a day in coco and indoors my plants are on continuous bottom feed 24/7.

Your pH’s look ok but I am not familiar with checking runoff ph and ppm’s and I guess I thought that was a soil thing or a fox farm thing but not sure.

I would also add that roots coming out of the bottom means it’s time to re-pot them in larger containers.

I am at work and will add more when I can…

They look decent thus far but I admit, your posts are a tad full and I don’t profess to know exactly what’s going on yet (I’ve seen seedlings in rockwool and plants in 8" pots and not sure is up with the rockwool). My comments pertain to those in 8" pots.

Keep up the good work, it’s paying off!!

@bob31 @aussie123556

3 Likes

yes sry the seedling are the next batch,the somang in 8 inch pot was the stunted runt that iv’e been hurting from day dot…,.the seedling have been in the same conditions as the somango so far.trying to take on advice for this round aswell for them an pass info on, 2 in rockwool 2 in coco an 1 in peat disc from germination,more trial an error for experience in the future. still wrapping my head round this much water for a plant as have general outdoor knowledge of plant but not coco.tks again for the help.is reassuring.getting better at shortening my msg.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need to tag the person you are responding too though :palm_tree::v::+1::grinning:

@aussie123556 @Screwauger

1 Like

You bet @aussie123556

You/we will get you righted around and on your way, there’s a steep learning curve as you know, lots of variables.

I like coco being this is my first soiless grow. So far seems to be good for me and my plants. I alsdo have the hydroton in my pots but not mixed with coco. They form a 1-2 inch layer in the bottoms of my pots.

Keep us posted and as @bob31 says, put the @tags and we will be sure to see it.

@bob31 and @Screwauger ok tagging.got it now…lol.i thought you were tagging a team mate in for an answer.like on wrestling,haha.now i no you mean put the persons name i’m responding to.tks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“aussie123556, post:12, topic:14677”]
@bob31
[/quot]e

the roots look pretty good,no browning or bugs an just starting to turn,i think it had a little to much hydroton balls an perlite in the last pot,put thin layer of perlite on top for any bugs,flushed coco to 5.9 before transplant an gave very small watering 150ml,with 5.8 ph water.will water again tomorrow.sry if the pics a little blurry.:slight_smile:o an sprinkled a small amount of microryza into coco mix when first mixed up.an has a thin layer of the hydroton clay balls at the bottom of the pot aswell.

1 Like

@aussie123556

The roots look good. Refresh my memory are you measuring your TDS PPM? Your plants look a little off green to me? (I’m going by the bigger one)

1 Like

@bob31Regular,yes it had 475ppm feed about a week or so ago an the twisting started,i flushed an ppm was 275 originally then i flushed it dwn to 60ppm,.ph was 7.1 at this runoff check aswell.went in at 5.8…hasn’t really got any bettr but the nodes seem to be growing.rookie mistake learnt,nitrogen was way to high i learnt on my ratios…:slight_smile:![som day 36 1 9pm)this was her about ten minutes ago.also tks for taking the time to help again.i appreciate it alot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have a feeding chart for your nutrients?

I’m thinking ppm’s of 300-600 but I’m a soil grower but general the nutrient manufacturer tell you at what week to start and how much to give?

@aussie123556

1 Like

bob31Regular yeah there was a chart for it,an after emailing growlush an checking the ratios an what i had exactly i tried to stick close to it,an compensated for the 1000watt they are giving rates for,an checked if they were using gallons or litres aswell just to be sure.i realised i was adding calmag aswell as the grow a+b stupidly an my nitrogen ratio was 14-1-7 approx,thats when i flushed about a week or so ago.grow a+b bottle is 5-1-7 so should i just use 1 or the other…not both.?

ok. I think.

There are no nutrients in coco. You have to give them nutrients or they are gonna start looking worse that they do right now. (I’m not talking about the little babies)

The problem is that I am not well versed in growing in coco and I need to do some research on your nutrients. What is the Brand Name and then the names of each one? Make a list if you will @aussie123556

@Donaldj can you help me out here ? haha I’m a little out of my elememt

2 Likes

ok, don’t do anything until one of the folks that knows this medium looks this over. @aussie123556

I think @Screwauger mentioned that coco needs to stay hydrated.

@bob31 yes i got some good advice an reassuring me that watering or feeding that much is fine in coco.will try again with light doses to start then try an work up to the chart.lack of not knowing if it’s deficent or too much of something is a skill an cant wait to get better at. tks again mate :slight_smile: growlush green an red hydro grow bottle,part a an b for both,not the blue coco bottle.the guy told me they would work for coco to apparently…