New Grow....1st Grow with Earth Dust and photos

You’re good!

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you, @dbrn32 !

3 Likes

We meet once a month and provide feedback to admins. I suspect this won’t get a ton of traction with the information being available elsewhere and our willingness to share or help when needed. But if the team feels it worthy enough, we can run it up the chain.

Last I looked the criteria listed were default settings from discourse. Several of these have been changed at one point or another.

4 Likes

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for the information and explanation, much appreciated.

4 Likes

Great job on sprouts. Noticed the 3 beans i went in direct popped fast and strong also. If nothing else the earth dust will germinate seeds like a boss.

1 Like

@Storm I’ve done all my seeds straight in the forever pots (6 total counting these 2) and they have all sprouted in 5 days or less. My last grow (my 1st ever grow) was in FFOF and and those 4 (auto’s) sprouted just as fast as these 2. Hoping to keep the streak going :crossed_fingers:when I seed my next 3 auto’s in 2 more weeks when their soil is done cooking

2 Likes

I am also a direct to soil guy. Been starting solo cups lately. Only because i am rebuilding from last grow into E.D. trying to get a feel for where i want to be this round. Last 2 full grows were all over experimenting. This round gonna wall to wall the 4x8…well close lol.

1 Like

I decided to go with seeding straight in their forever pots from the start just because I don’t understand the point in planting and transplanting. Don’t have to worry about stressing them. I also havent soaked mine in anything at all. Just put about 3/8-1/2" deep in soil and let nature do its thing.

1 Like

Same…no soak.

Nice I started out with one 2x4x5’ tent with all 4 autos in it. Then oredered and set up a 2x4x6’ tent and split them up 2 in each tent. This round im going with my 1st photoperiods in the 6ft tent and gonna do 3 autos in the 5ft tent. Gonna try manifolding the photoperiods and ill top and LST the autos. Last time I fimmed them and honestly I don’t know if the fims took or not lol so gonna top all this time.

1 Like

You typically see rapid growth earlier when started in a small pot and then potting up. That’s the reason most that use this method do anyway. Started in larger pot the plants will start and spend more time building root mass before they start growing well. If you wait until final pot to use fabric it’s not very hard on the plants to move them. If you add a little tribus, great white, mycos, or similar product transplant usually pretty smooth.

8 Likes

@MeEasy @JaneQP Ok so the biggest thing I’ve noticed so far different with the living soil is because the soil has to always be moist is that there’s more insects nats etc Is this normal and same for y’all?

1 Like

Yep gnats are a continuous fight, if you start right when you start your soil you can pretty much wipe em out or control them anyway.
If you get some mosquito bits and soak a small handful in a gallon of water warm works best but don’t use the hot water tap I use the microwave to warm it let them soak overnight and you want to wet the top inch n a half of soil it doesn’t hurt the soil or plants so you can just water that day with the treated water (I named bit juice) you can do this every three days for 3-4 times then about once every 8-10 days.
The thing is this only kills the larva not the adults or eggs… the adults only live a week so they’ll go away on their own or use yellow sticky traps… eggs hatching is the reason for the multiple treatments…
After getting them under control I do a treatment every time I start seeing them showing up on the sticky traps and of course as soon as I start soil to cook, there’s eggs in just about every soil, the more house plants and or outside vegetation the sooner they return

2 Likes

Ok I’ll get started on that. I have the bits. So you saying I need to go ahead and treat the soil i have cooking in the 5 gallon pots for my next auto’s also now correct? Otherwise the girls are looking happy

2 Likes

Yep I start treating mine about a week after starting the soil to cook that gives the eggs time to hatch so you kill the larva before there’s any adults to lay new eggs. Even with the used soil because you mix in your amendments which puts different soil as the top layer, if that makes sense :thinking: if you get them under control you only have to treat it once a month or so. I almost forgot you want to screen out the bits themselves before using the juice because once you get a bunch of it in your soil it rots a little ain’t bad but you don’t want a lot of it. You can buy it in a powder but I haven’t tried it that way

2 Likes

Yeah I have a bag of the Bits that I bought during my last grow to have just in case :+1:what about Peroxide and water mixture? I read that in the ILGM downloads I guess it kills larvae too.

2 Likes

Peroxide water mix is okay to use around the tent and as a foliar spray it helps to keep any molds from growing and bugs don’t like it but you don’t want to drench with it because you need the bacteria n fungi (micro life) to grow in the soil

Edit = I don’t recommend any foliar spray during flower unless it’s necessary to fight off bugs, mold, mildew, etc

2 Likes

@MeEasy has you covered! My only suggestion is if you have houseplants, treat them with bit water also.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Yes our only house plants are in a different room all together that’s rarely opened, but ill probably treat them with some also.

2 Likes

Update. The photo candyland twins looking good so far and growing nicely in the Infinity tent. Pics below… I decided that since my other 3 pots (5 gallon) have been cooking for 3 weeks today that I would go ahead and seed my 3 autos in them in the yield lab tent since it will be around 4 days before they break ground so might as well say they’ll be cooked the full 4 weeks by then. Let’s see if the sprouting in 5 days or less streak continues :thinking: :crossed_fingers:i went with GG4 :gorilla: , Strawberry Pie :cake: , and Gelato…CandyLand #1

CandyLand #2

3Auto seeded

7 Likes