March 7 Sleddog's 1L Quart Session #2

Hello, I’ve forgotten are you growing in living soil and in what they call earth boxes ?

1 Like

What is the very top pic ? :thinking:.

My pine boxes, to take them to their final destination :laughing: I like that name tho, earth boxes. The top pic of recent post? Not sure but in I showed-off two broccoli, a bin of snow peas, acorn squash, and the physalis peruviana variety of ground cherry.

3 Likes

5 Likes

May as well show how I ruined the last grow as it might help somebody. Roots only against the walls where drying, brown roots at bottom, no roots in center. A lot of compost in this and too wet from the start.

6 Likes

Had a new flower this morning, first indoors of this type

4 Likes

Soil shows round pot, plastic or cloth?

Use these moments as teaching props.

Saw a post, possibly covertgrower mentioned plastic pots can have wet spots. That has me on alert and i will study my root masses no matter what resulted from the grow.

What was outcome of the plant,? Any harvest? Plant died?

Last, squash or broccoli flower, never grown broccoli successful.

Brown roots at bottom, over watered, or poor drainage from pot thus roots in wet soil all the time.

Curious, teaching point, student awaiting feedback and thoughts.

2 Likes

Good day… Round plastic. It actually got blackened and shriveled, and I tossed it. Them…it was the four grape apes I started in November.
As well I am, going to learn and forget a lot.
Outdoors broccoli grew well but two of four bolted because hot dry weather. I expect large seedless heads from these two.

1 Like

A buddy came over talked me into this. Surprising how flexible it is and how little time until it’s growing upwards everywhere again.

5 Likes

@Jaysittinback
So check these out, its been an average of 25f every night/morning. Carrots, peas, some who knows what because the tags disappeared, these are going to explode when it warms up :wink:

5 Likes

sounds like they got a good freezing then, that’s a few degrees below freezing I think if I remember temperature in F. Have you been through a freezing of them before and they survived?

1 Like

Yeah these have been growing all winter, a storm blew our green house down and we moved them to the porch and the wife retransplanted them into bigger pots. We started the seeds near the end of fall. And yeah 30 F is freeze. Its amazing how sturdy these winter vegies are.
Also have kale, swiss chard, beats, rootabagha and more in that picture also fushas not only pretty flower but we use the berries in desserts and stuff.

3 Likes

All winter! Feels like winter just begun here, what corner of the globe are you on?

3 Likes

Oregon in the valley at the base of a huge mountain range so we dont really get much snow but burrrr it gets cold. We still have a good month or 2 of true winter even though the sun is starting to show durring the day more.

4 Likes

Enough space in closet to plant a row of six. Next crop soon…

Ground cherry starting slow, just like last year.

Acorn squash not making big leaves like they should.

5 Likes

Those look great dude!!

1 Like

7 Likes

@Jaysittinback that some good looking color!

1 Like

@Jaysittinback - agreed, looking awesome!! Are there two tie downs in there? Looks like between the third nodes on one level holding those toward the light and then the 6th bringing her to the side, is that the spacing? Thanks- I have some autos in their 3rd week, so they’re getting closer to that place!!

1 Like

I dont remember seeing a wall trellis. Too cool, wife saw yours, now looking at ours, the wheels are turning, thanks bro, was hoping to slide by with 4 pineapples growing.

Would love to get storage building built or bought so next winter, maybe get some of our garden stsrted in winter.
1 Like