New bug. Need help with id

After my last post , things went bad quickly. I had a major humidity problem and that started a host of new problems. First was fungus gnats , those were easy to get rid of , this one showed up afterwards and is causing a lot of damage fast. Help !

![20220614_010744|233x500]
(upload://fak0qUlHgpd89ksUpYyKLX92jh0.jpeg)
![20220614_010414|233x500]
(upload://boyNkI0QiZfSYCoS8a2jhmOKX8e.jpeg)
Can i use dead bug on these things? Whats the best way to get rid of them? They have damaged 60% of the leaves on one of my plants in 3 days. All of my plants are affected just not as bad as that one.

This is what it looks like

Those are flea beetles. They leave dots all over the leaves. They don’t fly so they main go for the lower leaves. I’ve been fighting them all summer. Captains Jack’s Dead Bug Juice Concentrate mixed at 1.5x strength every other day.

5 Likes

What @Borderryan22 said. :point_up_2:
dcJinHQTGlcabfzTbV

5 Likes

Those are not what i have. I blew up the picture so it could be seen. But these things are about the size of a pin head. Very VERY tiny. And im not convinced yet that they are a flea beetle either. The legs on these bugs arent like the ones on a flea beetle. They are super strong back legs for jumping. They have transparent wings like a gnat…i may have to bring this to the lsu ag center. Ive never seen anything like these in my garden before. They seem to be staying away from all leaves that have light shining on them , but theyre eating everything in the dark areas. Do you think adding 2 ft full spectrum lights pointed near the bottom leaves would help? I have like 5 extra ones i could put on the floor and aim up at the bottom of the leaves , or does that create different problems?? Im just…lost

1 Like

Did you try getting a pic with Google search? It’s always worked pretty well for me when trying to figure out what the hell something is. From bugs to leaf issues it’s pretty much nailed them all.
Just hit the camera icon in the search bar and go from there. easy peasy!
There’s also “bug-centric” photo search apps available for free at Google Play.
Can’t help you if you’re using crApple…I’m sure they SELL something you could use…

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help . Im sorry it took 12 hrs to reply back , but i just went back to work. Health had me down for a while. But i really do appreciate any help im given. I feel awful about asking for help from ilgm when my seeds where purchased elsewhere , but i want everyone to know i did try twice to get them from ilgm first. For some reason my bank turned down the purchase. Again , thank you for responding. Ill give that a try. I use google as well.

I’ve been battling Colorado and Mexican beetles. Was using Captain Jacks dead bug, Realized the premix is not as good as it used to be, got the concentrate mixed a little stronger, once a week soaking. Then with Neem in between, Haven’t seen any in a few days.

It was my fault. I know its kind of dumb to plant melons and tomatoes next to my girls but did it anyway. Garden space is at a premium this year.

2 Likes

It’s not dumb a lot of growers use tomatoes as cover crops. Just gotta go balls out on the pest control. And a thorough bud wash.

2 Likes

I don’t really need a cover here as we can have 12 plants. I just love fresh early girls, Romas, Crenshaws, and honey dews. One year we had an early girl that gave us tomatoes until almost thanksgiving. I swear I must have got close to 70 tomatoes on that one plant. We figured out how to easily identify and pick the horn worms off and feed em to the chickens before they do much damage. With the (silk?) worms that eat buds, I haven’t figured out how to identify them yet, other than being suspect of any and all moths. I’ll probably use BT this year if I have too instead of throwing out so much. Last year half my plants got tossed because caterpillars.

You may have to call your bank and tell them to accept orders placed with ILGM.

As to asking for help – brother, I didn’t have ILGM plants either but the folks here are fabulous.

1 Like

Show us your garden – on this thread. Folks will enjoy seeing it.

2 Likes

After they turned it down , i did call them . Told them it was me making the purchase. They said they would make a note on my account. So i sent the order in again with ilgm. Waited 3 days …nothing. so i figured id try a different seed bank . It went through that day . But i will be trying ilgm again here in a few weeks. For my next crop.

1 Like

Your strawberries and peas are killing it @GrnyGrows.Thats a lot of space you have, lot of work. Heres is part of our backyard garden. We have large one like that on our farm, currently nothing growing. The weed work and my writing takes all my time.
IMG_1391

Very cool. Writing? What do you write?

Fiction, thanks for asking. I wrote and published a novel called Time Would Not Pass, by Van Franklin. I have a couple of other novels still working their way through the birth canal of my mind. Writing is the thing that channels my creative energy.

1 Like

I’ve been a writer most of my adult life… that’s why I asked. I just could never talk myself into a book, although lots of publishers would ask. I’ve written/photographed for magazines for 35 years.

1 Like

Thats pretty cool, I wish I had discovered my love of writing before five years ago. I’ve been dabbling in photography since I got out of the Army thirty five years ago, have thousands of pictures from lots of different places.

Its nice you could do all that in an age when publishing was so very different than it is today. You should write a book. They say everyone has at least one in them, sounds like you could come up with a few.

I have several books in me – but the money just isn’t there. And yes, I was blessed to be a mag writer at the height of the magazine marketplace. I loved everyone minute. I write about hunting, fishing, camping/rving, firearms, etc. Cushy subject for an outdoor and shooting sports lover.

2 Likes