New at this indoor top feed hydroponic

The seeds arrived quickly and discretely…A1 service from ILGM…thank you!
Now I need some help with them! PLEASE! I don’t want to lose them!

After they sprouted 4/20/16
I put them in 2 inch rookwool cubes while I assembledmy hydroponic container
15 gal tote with 5 inch net pots and clay pellets
In 3.5x5x7tall room well vented, temp stays around 80 lights on, 72 73 at lights off

I have two pumps in the tote with 3 tubes feeding each plant
I have two air stones also
4- 48 inch 6500k fl over plants at about three inches,
2 more double 4 ft fl hanging vertical on each side of the room
all sides of the room covered with mylar
I ran plain water on them for a couple of days while I was waiting for my ph meter to arrive
4/27 my ph meter arrived, ph was way too high at 8.5
4/28 got ph down to 5.8

added high nitrogen miracles grow feed 12-4-8 to a ppm of 600

these pics are of tonight and the seedlings are still tiny, like 1.5 inches and little spindly things

I leave the pumps running 24/7

lights are 18 on 6 0ff
I researched a lot about hydroponics before I started
I could try to grow them in pot in soil out on my deck, we live in a fairly private area, but I would constantly be worried about them when we were gone for the weekend in summer heat

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Seedlings that small only need about 200-300ppm. About 0.5 EC

Miracle grow for tomatoes would probably be better than what you are using. You probably want to add a little epsom salts as well, depending on what is already in your water. Check out the link below for the formula.

With a pH so high, I assume you are using tap water with a high ppm, this will probably give you problems in the long run.The PPM of the starting water is helpful information to share.

Also you might be keeping those seedlings too wet. And the excessively red stem might be indicating this, or this could be a stress reaction from the ppms being too high. Water temp and dissolved oxygen levels, as well as air temps, can cause this as well. Too much water drowning their roots can cause a low dissolved oxygen condition at the roots, some things to keep in mind.

Happy growing,

MacG

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought by having so much oxygen rich water applied directly to the roots in the rockwool cube they could not drown?

I pull them out today and put them in soil, I left the rock wool cube on and put them in little post with micriale gro soil

One AK already fell over, stem is like rubber,

I increased my lighting and ordered a 450 watt LED that will be here Monday. Today is Saturday they will probably all die before Monday afternoon

I’ll probably have to order more seeds.,hydroponic looked so easy when I was researching it?
I left the little seeds in distilled water for 2 days until they split open and had the little tails, then I put in rock wool cubes and kept moist in the cups for another day.

They just act like they did not want to grow!!!

Well yeah, you’re smothering them with kindness, lol. Often too much of anything can be bad.

I think it is mostly the wrong type of nutrient and at too high of a ppm for such young plants, the oxygen might be fine, but you never got me a water temp reading, also two air stones is a bit vague. I could know more about actually how much air you are pumping into how much water.

~MacG

The water temp was staying about 75 degrees, I have two air stones going in 5 gals of water, all kinds of bubbles

The PH was high for a couple of days while I was waiting for my PH meter
but I had 8 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent lights going and the temp was good
concrete room, even ceiling with built in air and return connected to my home ac, not running air though, just fan, staying about 75 degrees all the time here.

when they sprouted the little tails in the cups of distilled water, I waited a day and then put them in Rockwool cubes and put them back in warm darkness for another day. The two AKs jumped up about the same size they are now. WW didn’t break top of rock wool so I got them all out and put them under light while I was waiting for my supplies

The PH of my tap water is about eight, 7.5 if I let is set out for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissaipate

PPM

PPM is about 200 in my tap water

My set now that I have put them in soil,is there any hope for my babies?

With humidity at 38% it can go up to at least 60% and 88 for your temp that’s a little warm, try and get it down about 10 degrees so to 78 degrees and they should do fine and adjust well.

A light misting should help drag temps down, and with a 16 fl oz spray bottle a full one you can raise humidity 10-20% and lower temps 8-10 degrees

OK… I had to say good bye to one of the little AK…8 days in rock wool and most of those days
under hydro and it still had no root at all…

I am so over this damn hydro hype…WTF!!!
I pulled all the three remaining girls out of that damn rockwool coffin and put them in miracle gro soil, got so 120 watt LED lamps an put one over each of them

Got my room at 75 degrees and 55% humidity

Little bitches have been sprouted for 9 days and they are tiny! WTF???!!!

If they survive…which I doubt…has anyone had any luck with these types of pots?

Could be likely due to stress or shock, hang in there it will get better with time, alot of us here use round pots I don’t use those brands but they should work fine as long as they have drainage holes.

They will more than likely adjust if you can keep your grow room stable at that temp and humidity. They could have possible for stressed in the nice which could be a couple days before they start growing again.

I’ll be here and help you get them on track

I’m ready to just give up! I;ve got my room stable for last two days and still they are like miniature fake little plants, havemt grown not one MM after sprouting two weeks ago!!!WTF?
I got my 450 watt LED in today and I guess see what happens!!! All the pics and vid on-line shows everyone else at a foot tall by now!!!

DON’T GIVE UP!! Lol @JJ.chronic.clones can you post a support ticket here for me please and thanks

1 Like

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor
Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you smile

1 Like

The original seeds were two WW and two AK47
I soaked them in distilled water for 24 hrs on 4/20/16
I put them in rockwool cubes and got them ready to go into top drip hydro
They went it on 4/23/16 under two 40 watt florescent 4 foot lights
I had three tubes on each plant, putting 7.0 ph water directly to the base of the plants where they were coming out of the rockwool
The temps in my room were stable at about 75 degrees
the room is hooked to my home HVAC system, but only on fan, no ac running
I have supply vent and exhaust vent
I was able to get the humidity up in the room after turning off the exhaust and using a small fan in the room
4/29/16- one AK fell over, when I took it out of the rockwool cube it had no root at all
I stopped hydro and transplanted them to miracle gro soil and put each one under a 120 watt LED
The picture above is as of 5/3/16 and they have not grown any!!!
Last night I put them under one new 450 watt LED
My humidity is staying at 60%
Temps are staying at 75 to 77
I’m leaving the LED on 24 hrs a day
spray misting them twice a day when the top soil looks like its drying out

You should have a ph of about 6.5 in soil, misting them may help them, simply because they’d drink the water through their leaves, rather than trying to drink when they don’t have the roots to support it from the base.
60% humidity is good for where they are at, temps look fine. 24 hours of light should help it as well.

How much water are they given, because In an environment like that evaporation pressure is low, which means they drink less water over longer periods of time and that means it’s more tropical than dry and arid.

If possible get some bio-root to help them get some roots it’s a gh products and works pretty well, and maybe try to add some reflective Mylar it would amplify light a little more

One more trick up my sleeve, this chart is based on deficiencies look for the stunted growth, I know your not supposed to feed as seedlings but it might push them out of a stunted growth, only use a 1/4 tsp to fix it per gallon

1 Like

N, P and Ca is what’s in the miracle gro liquid I was giving them when I had them in hydro. PPM was 400 to 500 and I Ph it every day to keep in down, but I think the damage was already done. All I have been giving them now is the Ph water 5.8. There is already nutes in the miracle gro soil