New and Overwhelmed

@AAA @Myfriendis410 Anyone know what this means? Yellowish sprout with very very short curvy stalk. Thinking we may have put them too deep in the soil. (Had to go digging for them) Replanted with top emerged as picture shows. Guess I’ll be starting more :confused:

1 Like

Looks normal-ish.

Let the soil dry around it. It might take it a little while to get it’s chlorophyll to come in.

As long as it’s not sitting in soaking wet soil, has decent temp/air, and good light it will be fine.

1 Like

Dome it and just mist the dome twice a day with distilled water. Keep the dome on until first leaves start to yellow. You will have real leaves then. Too much water will drown the plant.

2 Likes

Seems that they have all died :confused: Going to wait until we can have lights and start some indoors so I don’t waste anymore. Plan on trying one in a peat pellet starter and one soaking then putting in paper towel. Any ideas what I did wrong and any recommendations for the next try?

1 Like

All I can do is tell you what I do and why:

I soak in a custard cup of distilled water an 1/2 tsp of 3% peroxide. My last seed was slow to pop: 3 days but the H202 keeps the water sterile and softens the husk along with adding O to the water. Once they crack and a tail shows I go into a neutral medium like Promix or coco. (Daisy Seed Starter is a nutrient free peat product for seedlings) 1/2" deep, place a dome over the (damp) media and water twice a day–no more than a teaspoon each time. You can spray your dome too if you like. Plants get their moisture from the air for the first two weeks and the plant wants NO nutrients until the first leaves yellow (cotyledons). Once they start to yellow you can introduce nutes or transplant into soil.

Likely you were in a medium too hot for the plants and they got burned by nutes. It’s a technique for sure but you will pick it up.

2 Likes

Do you start yours outside or under lights once you plant in promix or coco? And did you make your own dome or buy one?

1 Like

I use a Solo cup, red for the media and clear for the dome. Works well. 24 hours of moderate light is best until rooted. Outside you run a real risk of frying your plants until they harden off to outdoor conditions.

1 Like

Update: I decided since we still don’t have electricity I would try the old fashioned toss in the dirt and hope for the best. I made a raised garden bed with MG raised garden bed soil and MG organic and organic and natural soil for my pumpkins and melons. I planted 2 Sour Diesel seeds to see if anything would happen before I planted my fruits and we have leaves!! I planted on 6/6. Uploading: E735AEBB-FD12-4BE1-80E8-E54885D10057.jpeg…

4 Likes

Nice! Way to make it work!

1 Like

@AAA @Myfriendis410 Now my question is: Should I be watering them or should I just let nature do it’s thing?

2 Likes

Sure; if it looks dry then put a bit of distilled water on it. You can put a clear dome on if you are in shade and if you are in full sun you might want to provide some shade until they harden to the outdoors. SD is a good outdoor strain but maybe a bit heat sensitive.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 @AAA
Updated pictures from this a.m. day 9 since sprouting. One is doing great and one is obviously looking a little less than. Getting some rain for the next couple of days, hopefully it will perk up! When should I be adding something and we plan to dig up and move to fabric pots to finish the grow, when should we transplant?

1 Like

I would let them get a little established before digging up. I assume you are in the ground.

1 Like

@AAA Yes, in a raised garden bed. We would leave them but not really a good way to keep them covert in the location they’re in. Plus is wasn’t initially for these so there is no perlite or vermiculite or great quality soil. It was MG organic which I know is a no no for the MJ plants. I have fox farms Happy Frog soil and will save that for when we pot.

1 Like

Give em about 2 weeks from sprout. They both look okay. I would just be careful to remove a lot more earth around them to avoid disturbing the roots, and fabric pots would be perfect.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 @AAA
updated pictures: any way I can help the little one? I’m not sure why it’s not growing like the other one. Same soil, same water and same amount
Uploading: 2C89FEF4-9326-485D-8EBD-6D73FB895445.jpeg…

1 Like

You might want to do your transplant on this one sooner rather than later. Many times seedlings will appear different in size initially but you can only see the developing canopy and not the root mass. When an otherwise healthy plant pauses it’s often because it’s pushing roots. I’m just not happy with the look of the leaves; that’s why I’m suggesting a repot.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 For both or just the little one?

1 Like