Never Grew Before

Hey All I am totally new to this whole growing thing but am so excited to start. I am a huge gardener and love everything plant related. I don’t smoke but my fiance does and I decided that I really wanted to see if I could be successful at growing some bud for him to be able to smoke. He built me a 4x4 enclosed grow space in our backyard garage that is rarely used and mainly just used for storage. I am curious about the light that I have the brand is MARS HYDRO and I am trying to figure out the wattage of it. does anybody know how i can find out?? I looked on there and didnt really know how to read the tag about about it. Didnt know if it was 300w or 132w. any help would be much appreciated !! I know its probably such a stupid question but figured id better ask then guess and fail :smiley:

3 Likes

@naeomii. Welcome to ILGM. :wave:
That is 132 watts actual wall draw.
The 300 they claim is a total of all the led’s combined plus a fan if that light has one.
Based on 50 w / sq ft. That light won’t be enough to flower a 4x4 space.
@dbrn32 is the local light wizard and can recommend a light that will work for your space.
:+1::v:

4 Likes

so can I use this light for a little bit till I can get a different one??

4 Likes

Yes. It will veg the plants till they out grow the light foot print. :+1:
Should be good for about 3-4 weeks or so.
:wink::v:

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Indeed looks to be 132 watt light. A lot of the Chinese light manufacturers will attach a number to their fixtures that isn’t really accurate. It’s a little bit of marketing ploy to get their fixtures to seem a little bigger than they are. The light you have would be good for flowering up to a 2’x2’ space, if you veg on 18 hour schedule it will be good for larger space during that period.

Cannabis requires a lot of light for flower production. If you plan on using entire 4x4 space you will want to make some upgrades by the time you are flowering. You can certainly get started with what you have though, as @Oldguy pointed out.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

7 Likes

Do you have any suggestions for lights for a 4x4 area? I thought this light was 300w and I just don’t want to make the same mistake again. Hah.

5 Likes

Sure. Something like 600 watt hps light would be good, but you would probably want an air cooled hood. If you want to stay with leds there are a ton of really good lights available for a 4x4, most of them are a little pricey though. Quantum boards are very popular, offers you high end led performance at some savings if you don’t mind assembling a “kit”. Two of the 260 xl kits fit a 4x4 nicely.

5 Likes

I am down for anything :slight_smile: do you have links to any of these???

3 Likes

We are only allowed to link from Amazon, dealzer, or aliexpress. If you’re interested in the quantum boards, horticulture lighting is manufacturer. Growerslights or led growlights depot are authorized retailers.

I have been out of hps game for a little bit, but I pieced mine together. I liked oversized hoods and hortilux bulbs, it was hard to find package that had everything I wanted together. Amazon has a lot of packages though, they would all work.

2 Likes

Would either one of these lights work???

2 Likes

Out of the two I would probably go with Mars light. They are stretching calling it good for 4x4, even on their web page is listed as 3x3, which is close to half of a 4x4.

I have read a few complaints that they get too hot as well. But they all get warm, so that could be irrelevant.

1 Like

Would this work?? I see it says flowering will work for 5x5? I want to grow 4 plants at a time in a 4x4x7 ft area. Would it be possible?? I am so sorry for the bacm and forth. Lighting to me is soo complicated :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m going to have to look. They are smoking good stuff if trying to say that light will flower a 5x5.

1 Like

Spider farmer 2000 will work good for 4x4, I have sp1000 and I was very impressed. Now I’m testing sp2000 but it’s not the original one(100$ from alibaba).

No worries, pulled this from their website.

The spider farmer lights are pretty much a knock off of quantum board. I don’t really care for their tactics, but there are several members here with spider farmer lights. They seem to be pretty happy with them. That being said, proper lighting will need two of those fixtures for flowering a 4x4.

Would it be reasonable to get one now and maybe a 2and fixture down the road? If you dropped seeds today, it would probably be 6 weeks or so before you would be ready to flower, maybe longer… Not sure what cost of weed is by you, but decent lights will pay for themselves in one healthy grow. Typical setup like I’m suggesting will yield about a pound dry in hands of reasonable grower if everything stays in check. A good experienced grower could probably get 2 with good yielding strains.

2 Likes

Think I found one that works for a 4x4 room to bloom.

I bought auto flowering seeds from here. I just want to buy one light fixture preferably that I can use in this area from start to finish.

2 Likes

@naeomii, mind if I join the party?

Already got a head start on the good info for lighting I see and you’re in good hands with my brother @Oldguy.
QB leds are expensive, but with what I’m saving on electricity, they will pay for themselves in a couple of grows.

3 Likes

That is totally misleading! 3000 watt? Really? Do you have an outlet in your house that can send 3000 watts? Even a 20 amp circuit at 120 volts is only good for just over 2000 watts! So theres something smelly going on there! Better read the fine print on that lite!

1 Like

can somebody just tell me what light to buy for a 4x4 room thats all I want hahaha i am having so much trouble.

Hi @naeomii,
Here is a chart for reference.

The 4 x 4 would be 800W - 1000W
(true watts from the wall, not what a blurble box says.)

This is a 4 x 4 area, for veg, I would need 1 of these lights, but to flower, I need 2 of them Hope this helps :v: