Nervous about making butter after bad experiences

I’m going to start researching butter recipes here. I haven’t really eaten many edibles since the mid nineties when I didn’t know any better, and would throw handfuls of leaf into olive oil and cook up eggs or whatever. realize now how wrong this approach was (I’m not even sure if I always strained the leaves out of the oil before cooking.) Aside from the taste, I frequently ended up completely zonkered for a day and a half. Slept right through New Years one year after cooking leaf up in breakfast that morning. started to take a hike a few hours later, made it a hundred yards or so into the woods before turning around and crashing out on the couch. Woke up the next morning… Needless to say it’s about time to get back in the saddle, but do it right this time.

1 Like

On my first grow I made some oil with the sugar leaves and ended up leaving the leaf in the brownies. They were great. They also taught me a valuable lesson to take it easy the first time you sample for potency.

I use bud only now to better control potency and I don’t make oil or butter. If I was to cook with it I’d use a pinch of bud as seasoning.
I stick with brownies. I use a half ounce per batch. All I do is decarb, grind it and add to the mix and stir it up before I add the eggs, oil and water. That allows it to spread the bud out evenly. In a 13x9 pan that gives me 96 1x1 pieces. A serving size would be 1/2 a piece to start and judge how to proceed the from there.
I like mixed brownies the best. My last batch I used four grams each of Granddaddy purple, White Widow, Bubblegum and Purple Haze. It has some good energy from the Purple haze and then the indica dominance kicks in and is very relaxing. I’ve been sleeping great lately. Using small amounts of bud together doesn’t allow just one type steal the show. They all work in unison.
Also when cooking I stay away from sativa dominant strains. They cause a good deal of anxiety for me when I eat it.
I water cured some GDP thanks to watching @nostril do it. I used the water cured bud for brownies and no bake cookies. The taste of weed is gone. They tasted like normal brownies and cookies. I think if you just soak the buds for a few days making sure to change the water daily would do the trick if that’s what you’re looking for. I personally like the taste.

2 Likes

100% with you. The taste is a huge part of why I enjoy it. But glad you found a use for the water cure. It’s kind of cool to have this relatively tasteless but potent material. Travel capsules are a good use here…

2 Likes

So you’re saying there’s a way to cure the flavor out? Ive made edibles for my wife and she doesn’t like them because of the weed taste. If this is true, please share the methods. Thank you😎

When I harvested this fall I dried my GDP and when ready to jar for curing I filled the jar with bud and topped off with water. Change the water daily until it stays clear. This took four or five days. Then put a fan on it to dry. I was shocked how quickly it dried out. I would say this method would work with any bud.

4 Likes

I did the same but changed twice daily for the first few days.

There are a few posts and photos of the method on my summer grow log starting here: Nostril's Next: 5 outdoors in fabric pots - #305 by nostril

2 Likes

Also, @SilentHippie, another way to work around the flavor component is to take canna butter or coconut oil and dose it into empty 00 capsules. This is my method of choice for using my coconut oils. My wife can’t stand the flavor and this works for her. Depending on oil potency, a full 00 capsule (0.9ml) can easily be around 15mg THC.

3 Likes

Thanks @nostril I just read through your method and this might work for her. Next harvest will be a big one for me and I expect to have some surplus to play with.

3 Likes