Neem Oil for white flies

Whiteflies have invaded. Still early and I have some neem oil.

Questions: how much neem oil needs to into a 5 gallon DWC?
will it affect the taste?

I am NOT a fan of whiteflies. Lost too many crops to those little vampires…:scream:

I’m not sure that you should put it into the water. It’s usually sprayed on the plant.

@Niala @raustin @anyone else one of you can maybe clarify this info for him.

Sorry, I know nothing about DWC.

Basically, a 5 gallon hydro. Non-circulating, individual buckets.

Mix 1 tsp of neem oil and 1/2 tsp of liquid dish soap to 1 quart of water or 4 tsp of neem oil and 2 tsp of liquid dish soap to 1 gallon of water. Shake well. (Neem oil mixes easier with warm water.) Use castile soap instead of regular dish soap, doesn’t foam :wink: Let cool the mix and reshake before use. Soap will help the oil stay in dilution, otherwise the oil will float at the surface of your reservoir.

Or go with AzaMax, it contains the main active ingredient of neem oil, and follow directions.

In hope that’s helping you, @tanlover442

~Al :v: :innocent:

You can also use yellow sticky traps;

Edit: You do NOT want to put Neem oil in your nutrient solution. Not only would it not do a thing to the white flies, it could cause serious problems for your plants.

I sprayed the neem oil on my plants, after I lost two Amnesia Autos. It has a strong smell, but that seemed to go away.

Something else to keep in mind. Even though it wouldn’t work, you are describing using neem oil as a systemic pesticide. Systemic pesticides should never be used on plants intended for consumption (regardless of how safe they claim to be). Systemic pesticides are added to a growing medium and are taken up by the roots and disseminated throughout plant material via a plant’s vascular system. Essentially the entire plant becomes infused internally with the pesticide. You can’t wash it off and it would likely take considerable flushing to remove it. Plus, you wouldn’t know how much is left in the plant unless you had the plant material tested.

@tanlover442

Here’s the direction on how to use AzaMax in the reservoir, applied systemically or as a foliar spray, it’s OMRI listed. No damage to plants have been observed.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
For the most effective control, apply when pests are expected to appear or as soon as possible after they appear and are in immature stages.

Hydroponics: Add 5 to 8 oz per 10 gallons of reservoir size. Agitate the mixture thoroughly until the product is thoroughly dispersed. Make 2-3 applications at 10-14 day intervals until the pest pressure has ended. With high insect pressure applications make applications every 5 to 7 days.

NOTE: It’s recommend cutting use at least 3 weeks prior to harvest as It have been found that circulating Azamax in reservoirs can result in latent traces of azadirachtin. To sensitive pallets, this can be detected in the finished products.

Foliar Application: Mix 1 to 2 oz. per gallon of water depending on pest levels. Spray at an interval of 7-10 days or as the situation warrants. Also stop treatment at least 3 weeks before harvest.

Don’t forget to spray your hydroton.

Yellow sticky traps is a great idea to catch the flying ones.

White flies lay their eggs underneath the leaves and also can do in hydroton and eggs can fall in the reservoir as larvae too and they will develop and mature.

In hope that’s helping you.

~Al :v: :innocent:

Big help…thank you , Al :cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v: