Needing advice for a noobie

I don’t know about anyone else’s advice but let me tell you that a 7 gallon pot is too small. Use something over 25 gallons.

These two are in 30 gallon pots and shown here in late August of this past summer. If you put them in 7 gallon pots you will restrict their growth greatly. Your best bet is to get good soil fill the bigger pots with all the nutes that they need for the entire growth. Add in blooming nutes at the end if it seems to need it but really outdoor growth just use soil, not coco.

5 Likes

Wow amazing

As much as I would love plants that big, I’ll be growing in my back yard so smaller plants is better for me I think hahah, amazing plants btw are those photos?

Yes they are Photos. The one on the right and taller is a Durban Poison the shorter one on the left is a Maui Wowie. Between the two of them I got about 40 ounces. So it isn’t so big as you think.

1 Like

that’s awesome, 40 ounces to me is a shit ton of weed hahah, if i ever see a secret field i can grow in i’ll be sure to do that. but i’m doing at home and using autos

hmm, now i’m over thinking again, maybe soil would be better, didn’t know i needed all this extra equipment and it’s starting to add up alot.

Exactly. Get a few bags of organic soil from the garden supply store. Also get 15 gallon fabric pots because I still think the 7 gallon is too small. Get a bag of worm castings and set up a drip irrigation system for it. Put it in the sunniest spot in your yard you can legally and have at it. Also get some hydro-clay balls to keep the soil moist all summer.

This is what my plant looked like early in the summer. Those are hydro clay balls. You can use these in a number of ways but this way the roots get to use all the soil right up to the layer of clay balls. It keeps weeds out and disperses water evenly across the top of the soil so no erosion.

1 Like

look bud, we have been through this before :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile: … remember. there will always someone next to you growing in a way that seems better.

you’ve made a decision, :grin: you have the nutes, your almost there coco is cheap as. the meter is something you will use forever if this becomes an obsession, and if not keep the box im sure you can sell them, for half price at least… id buy it for that price…

people who grow outside in coco are generally going to be more experienced and hence not post as many photos or posts of their work…

stick to it bud. you have good people interested… im sorry but seriously if you go to soil you will spend the $270 bucks I guarantee u, because of all the additives you will want to add… humic acid good fungi etc is expensive too, im not saying you need it but you will prob get it and some of that stuff is expensive the first time…

stick to it bud… now your almost there… :grin:

2 Likes

yeah fuck it i’ll stick to coco and get the meter, everyone grows in a different way so maybe this will be mine and see how it goes, i can always try other shit later in time. thank you for the encouragement :slight_smile:

there are a lot of really good growers here that have your back bud. :grinning:

1 Like

thanks man i really appreciate it so much. another question i have is, i got 3 white widow photos but i have 5 pots. i’ll be using 3 of them for the autos. would i need bigger pots for photos? all the pots i have are 7gal

1 Like

ok I was going to answer that and I remembered your in coco so best to get someone who know better then I @Myfriendis410, or others? … man im excited, I will learn a lot from your thread, I haven’t grown that way and who knows I may find out its perfect for me… at the very least I will learn a shiteload on the way… :grin:

and just remember we aren’t meant to swear on here, like I think its at someone, but I know what we are like and you will get excited and start dropping C bombs then I will forget myself and start dropping F and C bombs… and then all the Americans here will freak the eff out… :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile:

2 Likes

I use 7’s for photos. 3’s or 5’s for autos.

2 Likes

if you’re growing in soil you still need that meter. growing period, you need a meter. if you’re growing ORGANIC you may be able to get away without having to Ph anything as the beneficial critters in your medium help adjust everything so your plant can eat it up. but you still need to make sure the Ph of your water is within a certain range.

without scrolling up though i think alot of the organic stuff was not available to you. you’ll do great with what you chose. you’ll get a feel for what you liked and didn’t like and can change up your next grow. benefits of using coco are mostly protection from overwatering which is so easy to do.

Can you find an Apera pen there? they’re like half the price.

@Myfriendis410 Thank for the reply, and thank you kettle for the tag. I’m glad you’ll get to learn from it, that’s why i love forums haha. and yeah i forget myself about swearing too wasn’t too sure if i was allowed on here but thank you :slight_smile: @Agrestic I’m fairly sure I’ll be able to get my hands on that pen, does it measure ppm too? if not i might just opt for the one kettle recommended, it’s pricey but it does everything and looks like it will last a while.

Also, I was reading that when you get the coco you’re meant to wash it out? i’m not sure if that’s the way to go if anyone could answer that. and if so, do i wash it out and just stick the seed in while it’s got all that water? In the future I see myself going full organic.

there are a few different versions but the one that measures PPm is more expensive.

i think washing depends on which coco you get. i washed my first cheap stuff but the next bags were already washed. you should just be able to pop the seed right in! i started mine inside on the counter and slowly ramped up their time outside and in the sun. not sure that’s necessary but do consider wind protection at the very least

Some do; some don’t. Usually the supplier will tell you if it needs it.

That said: a LOT of gunk comes off it if you rinse it ahead of time. Some added perlite is handy to make it more ‘airy’. 25% by volume.

Have you settled on a nutrient line yet? As stated; you will want to own a PH meter (some reference solution is a good idea too) and a TDS meter. You will use these more than just about anything else.

I start my seeds like this:

In a small cup add 1/4 cup (or so) of distilled water.
Add to that 1/2 tsp of 3% peroxide
Drop seed in
Place in warm (not hot!) dim location

Once a tail forms it’s into the media:
Use a Red Solo Cup: If you want to get fancy, a clear one inside a red one. Poke a crap ton of holes in them for drainage. Add some washed coco/perlite. Make an hole 1/2" deep and dump the sprout in and cover lightly. Place another clear Solo cup over it and give it 24/0 light schedule. Be sparing in watering: your damp coco will last for days without anything and when you do add water; mist the dome.

Leave under the dome for two weeks, and when you have good roots, put into final pot of coco. Add some mykos and this will be the point you want to start feeding. Not until then.

2 Likes

do you do the same for autos? i do that now with my indoor photos but autos, esp going outside, i toss right into their final pot and just water with an eye dropper for a while. i feel like all this transitioning can take up a huge part of their veg cycle. i think i was pretty rough on my outdoor autos right from the start figuring if we were in the wild they wouldn’t have all these luxuries.

oh wait @Zenpha , are yours autos or photos? i was thinking autos…

1 Like

Same thing with autos although with photos I’d have an intermediate pot size before the final.

3 Likes

Autos but I have a few photos I’ll probably plant too

1 Like