Needing advice for a noobie

Whatever medium you choose to grow with, I & many others will be here to help you in anyway possible. A few years ago I was exactly where you are now. The fact that I’m Aussie will save you a headache from converting metric/imperial and other measuring units. Take your time and when your ready to begin this exciting journey just tag me or any of the other guys I mentioned & we’ll get your seeds germinated & on their way! All my best wishes @Zenpha & HAPPY GROWING!

6 Likes

Thank you so much mate, can’t thank you enough actually. I have decided to go with the original plan which is the flora nutes and coco, I just ordered the flora nutes off amazon should be here in a few weeks or so. Which gives me more time to save up a little for the rest of the equipment. What i still have in my head is, the coco that you recommended, PH pen. Ph up and down and cal mag, is there anything else I am missing?

2 Likes

one thing I want to add… I did coco for my first grow to protect the plants from me overwatering. the problem with doing it outside, when it gets hot, you’re going to need to feed/water them EVERY DAY. so just keep that in mind. it was fun at first and then I just got tired filling up buckets and pumping- three plants took me about a half hour every day to mix nutes and feed. you don’t want to let coco get dry. they also get really LIGHT and if i didn’t keep them weighed down with water they’d blow over. there are work arounds for everything but for my first grow, it kept me running.

it was also really expensive. i don’t know about the line you’re using, but feeding every day to overflow added up.

i have not done soil or super soil outside, but if it rains hard, it will wash out all of the good stuff over time. if i was going to grow outside again (which was honestly really stressful for me and probably won’t do it again) i’d probably go with something like Coco Loco or Roots Organics (coco with aged forest products, so it acts a little more like soil) with slow release dry amendments. don’t have to water as much and if they do get washed out by rain you can add more nutes back in. but… i am not an experienced grower yet.

1 Like

Have you already started germination? Have a look at pete moss cubes or just the plastic germination kits at Bunnings. Get your seedlings started in that. Until you have your 1st few leaves them place the whole cube into your pot with coco. You will not need nutes for the 1st week or so. Correct me if I’m wrong but I have been advised until you have 4 nice top leaves they just want water with 5.5- 6 PH.
Have you downloaded roberts free bible from ILGM?
There is some amazing tips and you can click further down the rabbit hole if you want more information about a particular stage.

2 Likes

I have not started germination, I will once I have literally everything I need which might take a few weeks. From what I’ve seen they like 5.8 - 6 PH but I will do some more research. I never knew about that bible but I’m about to download and read it today. Thank you for the moss cube tip I didn’t think I was going to do that because I heard autos really hate replanting but if it’s not too much trouble I can do that then transfer it to the big pot I have.

@KinSEDC I don’t mind watering and mixing nutes and doing that everyday it gives me something to do since I don’t do much haha. If it does rain really hard I have a small shed I can place them in until it stops raining which isn’t a problem. I am only doing 1 plant for my first grow since if I mess up I still have a couple others I can give a go and change the schedule and such. I will try and keep it damp as much as I can and add a weight or something to keep it down. Thank you so much for the tip :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i dropped my seeds right into the coco and used an eye dropper to water them. one they popped they went out onto the porch, shaded. as they got bigger i slowly put them in direct sunlight little by little. they got tough FAST. i wish my indoors were as hardy.

now i put them in a glass of water for no more than 24 hours. they usually sink. then into a wet paper towel covered by a plate that i’ll add a few drops of water to. tails should form. then into the soil. it takes some of the stress out of wondering if they’re cracking and progressing or not because you can see it all happening.

i’d run more than one. it takes so much time to get going, this may take some of the sting out of losing one if it does happen. i don’t know what your climate is but if they do make it to the end during flower there are things that can still happen. especially your first grow… it can be heart breaking if something goes wrong.

what strains? you probably mentioned it already. some do better than others outside and in the heat. i’d try to find something that doesn’t take long to flower.

2 Likes

don’t do just one buddy, do 2 at least… there are a lot of reasons to loose a plant that aren’t your fault, have 1 backup at least…:grin:

3 Likes

100%. growing outside is an adventure. everything is trying to kill your plants, AND you’re in australia. i was gonna ask you what kind of pests you may get but i may not wanna know.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information so much. I might just go for all 3 seeds then. The strains are auto white widow.

@kettle hahah i didn’t think about that, okay i’ll be doing all 3.

3 Likes

Just the casual spider, and annoying fucking birds that chirp at 7am hahah

1 Like

its more, a branch you didn’t think will fall from that tree, or a cow, or a kid gets your last big one, or hermi… or… you dog…

outside is cool as bud, and the rewards can be fantastic, its just always something you don’t think of…:smile:

3 is good bud.:grinning:

2 Likes

@Peck I’m from the USA and can use metric. I did study Biochemistry after all so I had no choice but to learn it. :blush:

1 Like

My math is terrible, let alone conversions lol.

2 Likes

how much better is it?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

My 3 outdoor nemesis are- seeds/thieves/police. All it takes is a neighbour down the road with a male & pollen everywhere! Bastards ripping off your hard work! Pigs destroying your beautiful babies. :rage: lol.

4 Likes

amen. for me, it was an auto that wasn’t even an auto. and a crackhead that jumped into my yard. up those chances of getting good bud!

best of luck! it’s a great journey. keep a journal going and folks can help you out along the way.

2 Likes

What I would give for ‘Fox Farms’ to be available in Australia :australia:. FFOF, Happy Frog :frog:, CoCo-LoCo etc.

2 Likes

I say that about Canadian brands are almost 100% of what i see on youtube. you gotta have your equivalents, no?

i did my first run with Advanced Nutrients so i could take Ph out of the equation and ran that in straight coco. it’s expensive tho, so not sure i’d recommend it. but it works. not sure if you can get that.

1 Like

hydroguard…

2 Likes

@Zenpha mate, the way @KinSEDC germinates is almost identical to mine. It’s a proven method with very high percentage rate :+1: Peck :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes