Need to buy some lights HELP!

I’m planning my 2nd grow. Using 2x4x5 tent,4" inline fan w/controller,charcoal filter, 5 gal pots, FFOF. Obviously need real lights to get the results I want ( 1/2 plants w/4/5 ozs twice a year of premo buds) if realistic goals, what light would you recommend. Leaning toward HLG kit, with a budget of 3/4 hundo. ??? 2/3 panels? Which ones,driver and kit, or individual pieces. I have little knowledge of how much light I need. But I have the skills for assembly and wiring. If I’ve missed info you need just ask. Really have info overload from all the reading and have confused myself quite well. Hope to order as soon as I deside WHAT to order! All help is greatly appreciated. Oh ya what “k” rating should I look at for “seed to harvest” grow?

you can get your light needs met by 2 of these

Please read the forum policy. It is against forum policy to post commercial links to products not sold or approved by ILGM. This is basically limited to our shop and Amazon.com. Thanks for your future cooperation lw - ILGM Administrator

1 Like

Would that be "optimal " for that space? I really don’t want to “wish I’d bought more” as I can’t spend more later to correct bad desision. I was thinking a cb288 2 panel kit or maybe the 3 panel 320 model???

1 Like

I’m running the two of the 260 xls at 3000k. I’d think 1 of them would do the trick. $349 from Growers Lights, unassambled.

1 Like

I agree with @SilentHippie. One 260w XL would be perfect for that space. Make sure the Xtra Long version though. Don’t get the XW by mistake, it won’t give you the proper coverage.

Is that the HGL system? Silenthipple

1 Like

Yes, hlg. Growers lights .com sells them too.

Thanks drilbit, didn’t know that. The spread on those 260 panels with the blank space in the middle of the heatsinc? Would that give the best coverage for the middle as well or am I just being anal?

I went with the 320XL from Growers Lights in a 2x4x5 and I’m lovin it . It has a dimmer on the driver if need to use it . No regrets .

1 Like

Did you choose the 2 or 3 panel version?

The 320w XL is the 3 panel, the 260w XL is the 2 panel version, you would do fine with just 2.
You can always get the bigger version and dim it down though if you want the extra light just in case.

2 Likes

I have 3 in a 2x9 space and cut acola that weighed 2.2 ounces off 1 of 4 plants

1 Like

Oh and it was a smaller one

1 Like

WOOF… That would work. LOL

1 Like

@dbrn32 is the person to talk to for lighting questions.

1 Like

Yup the 320xl is 3 panel . I went with that one because someday I would like to go from grow tent to grow room with more lights of course .

1 Like

Would it be possible to get the 3 heat sinc 260 ( and later add a 3rd panel(to the heat sinc) before the flip to flower with? Would the driver drive all three panels or would I have to start with a different driver, or use a 2nd driver for the 3rd panel?

Don’t think so. The 260 xl kit comes with constant current driver that doesn’t have voltage output to clear all 3 boards. So if you got the xl 260 kit and wanted to add a third board later you would need to either add a 2nd driver, or move to a bigger driver that will run all 3.

As a side note, if you’re looking to do buy an xl 260 kit and upgrade it in the future, make sure you get the 288 v2 boards. Going to a single hlg-320 there is dialed.

Can you explain the use of dimmers on these lights? Don’t get it, MO light MO better, NO?

Not always, your plants are only going to be able to utilize so much light. In early veg, too much light can cause problems with over saturation, can also cause problems with heat and leaf transpiration.
As your plants get in late veg and into flower they will begin to use more light so having a dimmer on it to keep our light close, and have it the right brightness.
If you had no dimmer, the only way to keep your plant from recieving too much light would be to raise the height off the canopy.
With a dimmer you can keep your light a constant height away from the canopy (raising it as the plant grows, but keeping within a certain distance) and then raise light levels as well.

If you were supplamenting co2 in your grow room, your plants could utilize more light.

1 Like