Need to buy a Good dehumidifier

Im not too far off the coast. We just had Harvey come thru and humidity outside was 100% and in tent 89%. Couldn’t get any deliveries here due to flooding but I found one at the store to use. It doesn’t do the job I needed.
So I’m here with hat in hand asking y’all to suggest a good one. Looked on Amazon but most of reviews are a 1 and costly. If I’m spending alot of $ I need to get one that fits my needs.
Tent is 36x36x72.

2 Likes

i’m watching @Laurap,i have humidity problems as well up here in AR…
i have a portable ac unit that keeps the moisture down but not out…lol you have to keep her drained.

2 Likes

@Laurap they sell some nice dehumidifiers today some even have pumps built in so you don’t need to empty the bucket every day get one big enough to do room tent is in and allow exhaust fan to pull dry air into tent this will be the most efficient way to run them once it dry they don’t run much but they need to be left on
Hope this helps
Home Depot o line is a good option for your search
They also have free shipping on most items so win win
If you have any questions just tag me I’ll be happy to assist you

5 Likes

Ok that’s what’s wrong. I was trying to just dehumidfy just the tent. Makes sense since I’m still pulling air into tent from room. Also have bought a smaller tent and by using just one cost will be less. Gotta go to home Depot today for more stuff to fix everything thats broken or gone.

2 Likes

I had the same problem (high humidity, not the hurricane) and this is how I solved it:

First thing I tried was a small 3 pint dehumidifier in the tent itself. This lowered the RH in the tent to around 65-70% when the RH in the basement was at 80-90%. So…

I got a standard but well reviewed 30 pint dehumidifier that was suitable for the space where my tent lives (my basement). 1500sq ft coverage. That got the RH in my basement down to 50-55%. The RH in the tent got down to 40-45% with the two combined with one day of operation.

Due to heat I decided to pull the smaller dehumidifier out of my tent. My RH in the tent has since stayed between 42-55% (the 55% happens when I open the tent up to add water/admire my handiwork), while the RH in my basement stays around 50-55%.

EDIT

One last note - I’ve set up the larger dehumidifier (the only one I am using at the moment) to drain into one of my 5-gallon buckets. I was curious and did a lot of research on re-using dehumidifer water for hydro setups. There is a lot of conflicting information out there, but the science from actual water tests suggests it should be okay - but you have to watch out for high copper in the water. Anyway, I tested the PPM of my condensate and it was 20 PPM. PH is almost always around 6.5. I’m trying to figure out how much water I might get a week this way, and next grow I am going to grow one plant exclusively with condensate from my dehumidifer (until winter when there is no humidity) and see what happens.

5 Likes

Thanks for info. I bought a smaller dehumidifier but couldn’t get it down enough. The idea of doing the whole room makes alot of sense. :herb:

2 Likes

@Laurap I am using a dehumidifier in my shed which my tent is in the shed. I have it so my tent is sitting at about 55% and so isn’t the shed. While outside the humidity is like 95%. It is a small unit and does the job nicely. I do have to empty it about twice a day which is the only bummer. If you know the sq ft of the space that should help determine what size you should get.

2 Likes

Oh ok I thought I had posted something to you @Laurap about dehumidifiers as well and best would’ve to use outside of tent not inside
It will run to Long in tent cause you’ll always pull humid air in and exhaust what air it does dry out
Out in grow room outside of tents :+1:
@Smokin_ernie can’t you run a hose from take so it self drains I put mine on a shelf next to slopp sink in my basement anddid that I keep my basement at 55% humidity till winter then I’ll maintain around 60% with humidifier

1 Like

It is a small unit not sure it has the ability to hook up a hose. I have to check it out. I am in out of the shed a couple times a day so not a big deal having to empty it but it would make life easier.

2 Likes

@Smokin_ernie I was just thinking it one less thing to do lol

2 Likes

Been looking at home Depot & think I found a good one with a pump for $225+tax

1 Like

I agree it is one less thing to do.

1 Like

Thinking with winter coming I won’t need it but I’ve found out with my first grow, you never know.
I’ve tried to buy a backup of everything that might go out but didn’t consider humidity a factor where I live.
Boy was I wrong!

Fl here, and the humidity is madness. I will have to get a decent humidifier…the hurricane got me off track, but I need it now more than ever. Hopefully by the next week I have one.

2 Likes

I thought if I got one just for tent would be enough. Wasn’t thinking about the air being pulled from room, Duh! So I’ve got this little one that pulls some humidity out but gonna have to invest another $225 ish for one for room tents in.
They’re as demanding and spend as much $ as my kids did!

2 Likes

@Laurap lol, they do need a lot to be happy for us. I have to go the used direction…looking for a 30 pint, for 50 ish…I have seen close; I will find one.

2 Likes

I picked up a “refurbished” 45 pint at WalMart for 80 bucks. The unit new was at least twice that. Only a 30 day warranty but the refurbished ones got good reviews.

2 Likes

@Screwauger That isn’t bad…I’ll have to look into walmarts website to see what they have…at least you get some warranty…

1 Like

Mines working great! 76% RH outside, 53% in my basement.

If you set the search to Low to High prices it was several pages in it’s a Haier 45 pint

I just looked it up and it’s gone up 30 bucks darn it. I don’t know if I would pay 110 for factory refurbished when another 60 prob get you new. B*stards lol

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look at Walmart. Due to Harvey $ is tight. My job is closed till Jan. for repairs. Hubby & I were trying to figure out where we would come up with Xtra $250.

2 Likes