Need to add nutes to fix problem but I'd be watering to early

So like the title says, I need to add nutrients (some cal mag) because I noticed what looks like a mag deficiency yesterday in some strawberry kush (day 30 of flower) But - I watered two days ago and if I water now I would risk over watering. This isn’t the first time I’ve wondered- if the last feeding you gave a plant was off in some way, do you have to make the plant endure the deficiency/ toxicity for the amount of time it takes to dry out before you can solve the issue with the next watering? I just hate seeing the issue begin to spread when I have a good idea of what it needs. Hopefully my question makes sense

1 Like

Good question. Thank you for asking. I wonder about that myself. I’ll be watching your post. Thank you

You need to fill a support ticket, maybe a picture whit your problem in natural light. That will help for sure.
COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

Age from Sprout:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Also the problem may not be a defiency :+1:

Strain; Strawberrykush and chocolope from seed. No chocolope pictures but it’s exactly the same on both plants

Age from Sprout: approximately 3 months. 30th day into flower

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots - fox farm in 5 gal. Last transplant was about 48 days ago.

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? Whenever the dirt feels dry up to the second knuckle./ when the fans leaves just start to feel a little weak./ the weight of the pot.

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: 5.8-6.1 in and out using a ph kit. I’ve had the ph swing from 7 down to 5.0-5.2 on previous grows with the same strain and none of the issues I’m currently having. All in all this grow they are staying in a nice range for nute uptake

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:
Been slowly feeding more as flowering has progressed, last feed was at 1050 ppm

Indoor or Outdoor:indoor

Light system, size and height from plants:
1000w hps 14-16" away, usually always 14"

Temps; Day, Night: day:71-74 night: 58-65

Humidity; Day, Night: day: 38-42 night: 38-45

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: yes, 8" 760 cfm extraction fan and 8" intake fan. Also have 2 16" oscillating on low keeping things moving

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: currently none until later In flower I’ll run the dehu

Co2; Yes, No: none

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

The only other thing that I can think of is that I did a defoliation to help the lower buds get more light. I’ve always done this around the same time in every grow with the only odd effect being that the cola leaves turn upwards slightly for a few hours after the watering that follows the defoliation. (Which happened as well this time) so a full run down would look like this. I lightly defoliated on day 26, watered on 27, within hours the cola leaves teached towards the sky ( again this has been a normal trend on every grow with the same strains and techniques) everything looked happy. Checked on the plants when they woke up on 28 and noticed yellowing between the veins (what looks like a mag def.) and since then the problem has spread and worsened into some mid/ upper cola leaves. Just put them to sleep and will be feeding them when they wake up on day 30… also I noticed that the problem is only showing up on lower/mid cola leaves and isn’t showing up at all on the longer stemmed fan leaves that I left on there… thanks guys I love this forum

From start I can say that pH level is to low… Need to be 6.5-6.8… Also I suggest you to get some runoff and test it for pH and also check the ppm(out from pot…
Also that is not a calcium or magnesium deficiency… Maybe a nutrient lock but I don’t know exactly now… I will post some charts and hope you will identify it tabla-rango-PH-tierra-e-hydro-1thenug-WItBVPhsFa

Maybe @garrigan62 have some good ideas for this.

PS I put the calcium deficiency picture to let you see how this defiency looks :+1:

1 Like

this screenshot is the closest thing I can find to what issue I’m currently having. Holy cow, for some reason somewhere in the last few months Ive let myself confuse the charts for optimal hydro ph and optimal soil ph. A lock out is probably the issue now that you pointed out that my current ph is to low. Duhhh lol. I just wanted to point out though (for the sake of trying to figure it out) that other than mine not having rusty spots or burnt tips, the other symptoms for magnesium deficiency are there; the main being yellowing on patches of leaf between the veins. I’ll go ahead and flush before the feeding when they wake back up in 11hrs. A good flush an feeding usually fixes everything, but it’s a pain not knowing for sure what the issue is. P.s. my issue reminds me most of the (middle stages of mag deficiency) but just worsened without burned tips and spots

1 Like

I’m glad you identify your problem! :+1::+1::+1: also I will look into that magnesium problem… Just a second.
So you say that looks like this?

1 Like

Cool thanks! You guys are awesome. I just attached a picture on my last post in this forum of something I found looking similar to what I have going on.

1 Like

Yes, my issue looks most similar to that top, left most picture in your example. It’s just much worse. Rather than just loosing color and turning yellow, the discolored sections are dryin out and starting to crisp up

Nice job!
How many weeks in flower stage?

I’m in the beginning of week 5, they will be waking up to day 30 in about 10 hrs.

1 Like

So another 4-6 weeks before harvest, good.
I will flash it whit 6.5 plain water to raise the soil pH, also that will get rid of any bad stuff that it’s built up.
I personally use Epsom Salt to prevent any problems like this one(1/4 tbs per gallon of water) but I use it for each time I water feed them and use a little les (1/5- 1/6).

Okay cool will do, thanks again for your time and effort. I’ll flush with 6.5 and do my normal feeding. I’ve always been interested in Epsom salts as a magnesium supplement, I currently use cal mag, so I’ve been hesitant to use Epsom salts as Im worried that I’d create a problem with either too much magnesium (if used alongside my calmag) or a deficiency of calcium (if Epsom salts are used by themselves) the only other nutes are botanicare pure bloom and then some hydroguard. If and when I begin using Epsom salts I’ll for sure keep note of the amounts you recommended. :+1:t3:

1 Like

@Andrewcarelock tou gius nailed it your ph is off
Your plants look pretty good tho imo
Glad you caught it
Are you also fewding witn ff nutes i recomend flushing as per ff feeding schedule if you are
Slat build up is a known issue witn the product and why they have flushes in schedule fyi
Nice job @M4ur :+1:

1 Like

Sweet thanks guys. I love this site and all the friendly people who are able to keep it going. ilgm is the best

3 Likes