Need some opinions on grow lights

So im looking to upgrade my lights from the cheap Amazon lights i now have to something a bit nicer. I have been looking at 5 different brands and am having a hard time deciding. Ive been checking out the Spider Farmer SF1000, Mars Hydro TS1000, Viparspectra XS1000, HLG100 (Horticulture Lighting Group), and Sonofarm SF1000. Im hoping you guys have experience with some of these and can give me some opinions. Ive been leaning toward HLG or Sonofarm but i want more info on the others before making my decision. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I also want to add that im looking to buy 2 of whatever brand end up with. Im using a 5x3 grow space. If theres a better option of light for that space let me know!

3 Likes

Go for light models that are built with Samsung LM301 series diodes and you’ll be fine.

These lights all appear to be 100 watt lights. You’ll want ~200 watts per plant as a general estimate. ~40 watts of quality lighting per square foot of cannabis canopy is a good rule of thumb.

HLG wins hands down for quality, reliability, and customer service. Some of the brands listed (e.g. Viparspectra) are brands that many growers have a hard time trusting, as they are former burple manufacturers.

7 Likes

@MidwestGuy Spider Farmer, Viparspectra, and HLG all use those Samsung diodes. I have no idea about the Mars Hydro. The Sonofarm comes with a 5 year warranty and from the reviews has excellent customer service.

2 Likes

The difference will be that HLG uses LM301h diodes while the rest use the LM301b model. The h model is a bit more efficient, but the difference is not all that significant (maybe 10% more efficient) I run older HLG lights with the b model and they do fine. HLG uses top bin diodes in their products too, meaning that they sort their diodes based on performance and only use the highest performing diodes to build their lights.

10 Likes

HLG has been one that i was interested in because it is manufactured in the US. Sonofarm is as well.

3 Likes

Good choice you will be happy with the results.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest the HLG 200 Diablo since it lines up really well with what you are looking for. Two of these would be great for a 3x5. Unfortunately HLG has discontinued the model. You might be able to find a third-party seller that still has them or maybe a used one. They have been discontinued only recently. The 200 Diablo is a really nice 200 watt light at a very reasonable price.

@dbrn32 did HLG replace the 200 Diablo with a comparable product?

1 Like

There is a HLG200 Rspec…

2 Likes

Let’s see what @Dbrn32 has to say. He would be really good at getting the best bang for the buck for your size grow space.

3 Likes

HLG just threw out a few that are in the 200w range. If you’re going for a 3x5, the 350r has a 3x5 flower footprint, and they have the refurbished models that all come with warrantees. Can use discount codes also.

5 Likes

I would definitely recommend HLG. I used to have fixtures from a few very good brands. I was so impressed with the first HLG light I bought that I decided to replace the rest of them. It took me a while to get it done, but I’m all HLG now except for a couple of spare fixtures I kept for back up, and I couldn’t be happier.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip on the 350R. That would fill my space nicely instead of buying 2 lights

3 Likes

I just got the 350r refurb and am hooking it up today. I have the 200 Diablo already in a 3x3.5 closet, and was running it was a Viparspectra p1500, but couldn’t keep the small gaps filled and kept having to move and adjust. If you use code DUDE it knocks off another 10%.

3 Likes

I use the 350r in a 2x4. It’s a beast of a light, and should do you a great job.

3 Likes

Thanks for that code. It may come in handy…

2 Likes

I just got an email from hlg. Their refurbished lights are an extra 15% off if you are signed up.

2 Likes

Enthusiastic, I was with my new Vipar Spectras (purchased 2014).
Couldn’t grow in Japan, so prepared for the day. Bought more junk, preparing.
Then prices dropped and technology got better. BUY More.
VS300, 600, 900, and V1200 later, I am growing weed.
The HLG 350R and the UT383-BT light meter confirm HLG is the BOSS.
The VS-V1200 has an output of 50K Lux at 25inches and 550 watts.
The HLG matches that output at 50% and 200watts. Smaller footprint.
With the reduction of heat from the HLG vs the Vipars, summer grow would have been better.
Vipars are heating the lung room, too much in summer and not enough in winter.

UT meter showed they are not as bad, useless, or worthless as I was fearing.
the Vipar Spectra V1200 and the HLG 350 fill the tent. and may have espoused.

2- HLG 350Rs would do the same for 1/3 less electricity than I use currently.
Scorpian Diablo when I grow up, some day.
Good growing to you.

Got some real junk lights too 50watt, 90watts, “1000” (100 watts) and the 2000 (200watts).
Not worth postage to give away.
HLG Discount codes usually available.

1 Like

Alot of guys here are very strongly pro hlg lighting and riteously so but out of what all i have or have used over the years the sonofarms are awesome and priced right as well as made in usa

1 Like

Check out green beams for hlg style at afordabke price. Been using marsh hydro for 2 years now with no complaint. Their ts and fcE series has older bridglux diodes but their FC and SP series have samsung lm301b diodes and meanwell drivers.

Kind LED and Chilled LED seem like great lights, lil spendy but no more than hlg.

2 Likes

So its looking like HLG may be the way to go. So now my question is would i be better off with two lights or just one to fill a 5x3 space?