Need some help please

i am growing some acapulco gold, maui and gold leaf indoors in soil (ocean forest and perlight) and my plants seem to be dying slowing. the light is a 600w unit being run at 75%, watering every three days, water pH is 7.0, leachate through soil

pH is 6.7. light is on 18/6 and plants are greater than 18" from the light.

i have many different plants growing but chose the three mentioned above. the A Gold and Maui have been receiving Speedy Veg 1/week. the fan leaves are curling and dropping and the smaller leaf clusters are starting to claw on all my plants using the Speedy Veg and on those not using it…

really need some expert assistance please as i am really frustrated.

They have severe nute burn. The soil you’re using is very hot with a lot of nutes in it for the first 4 to 5 weeks. I think you should stop feeding and give them all a good flush with Ph water.

3 Likes

Also, 6.7 isn’t bad for pH bit try for 6.5 if possible. I also think if you stop feeding and flush you will be back on track.

okay, thank you. by flushing, do you mean getting my water pH to 6.5 and just dump water until it comes out of the bottom? i had the water adjusted to 6.5 earlier and the leachate was pH was ~6.0.

as i stated earlier, all of my plants are experiencing this phenomenon–whether being on Speedy Veg or not. the ones that are not, are simply receiving pH adjusted water and are showing the same attributes. is it because of the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil?

that’s good information as well. however, are you referring to the water adjusted pH or the leachate water pH? i have been struggling with pH water adjustment to get to the pH you mentioned in the leachate. that has been a challenge in itself.

1 Like

A ph water flush is typically done by slowly flushing 3x the container volume thru the soil. Use 6.4-6.5 water and it should help correct it.

Yes, ph the water too 6.5 and run it through the soil so it all comes out the bottom.

Can you post some pics of the whole plant, please. What size pots are they in?

@drcree Your getting some good information from everyone . I can not give expert assistance but they could be root bound also . Looking at your pictures the containers look small and not enough soil in them . I would recommend transplanting in at least 5 gallon fabric containers and back off the on the nutrients . PH 6.5 .

2 Likes

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, they might be rootbound.

2 Likes

attached are three photographs of the A gold, Maui, and Gold Leaf respectively. the ruler is 15" and the plants were planted in late

may, early june and early july, respectively as well. the sizes of these plants is what is causing me some frustration. i thought by this time the AG and Maui should be 2 feet.
i do not know the pot sizes but possibly you can judge by the scale.

3x the container volume of 6.4-6.5 water. got it. thank you familyman and raustin.

seeddog, i don’gt know much of anything when it comes to these plants, but due to their stunted growth, i thought it more root lock than root bound. what do you think and if so, will the flushing correct that?
5 gallon containers? goodness,. i am WAY off on that size. i am no where near that.

as a sidebar, prior to using the fox farms soil, i made my own from potting soil, seat, mushroom compost and worm castings. it was beautiful stuff but the plants did not favour it at all. what i had read was the worm castings were glorious for these plants but that didn’t seem to help.

thank you all in advance for your insight into this

1 Like

seems like the others did not come through i will try again.

maybe this time, eh? this should be the maui and the gold leaf planted in early june and early july.

Yes, I think not only is the pot too small, but it looks like there’s a lot of room at the top, so I believe these plants are rootbound. The small pots is what is keeping the plants small. They can’t grow if they have no room for roots to grow, and they have huge roots.

1 Like

Fabric pots.

1 Like

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Your plants are telling you they are not happy. There are MANY factors that may contribute to their malaise. Please fill out the ticket to the best of your ability so we can try to help you sort this out

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA–Acapulco Gold, Maui Waui, Gold Leaf and several others all raised from seed. totaled: 30 plants

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? soil in pots is Fox Farms Ocean Forest

System type? n/a

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? 6.7

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: was using Speedy Veg for a few at 1 scoop / 6 oz water at pH of 7.0; 1 time / week.

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size? 600 watt overhead at 75%

Temps; Day, Night: ~70 degrees (located in basement)

Humidity; Day, Night: 80%+

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: fan blowing 24 hours/day

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: dehumidifier

Co2; Yes, No: no

if you think the plants are root bound, i will definitely order some fabric pots for these plants. do you have any opinions on the type(s) of soil i am using? fox farms, though good, is catalytic (like a catalytic converter, very expensive part). is there an alternative?
also, since these are indoor, basement plants, what do you suggest placing the fabric pots in to contain the plant, water and soil runoff? i would prefer not to have them puking all over the basement floor.

thank you all this far for all the information provided. i have flushed all my plants as suggested and they seem a mite happier.

2 Likes

You can continue to use the Foxfarm OF, just remember that it’s got lots of nutes in it already, so you won’t have to add any for a while, probably when you start to flower. Fabric pots are a great idea, your plants will love you for it.

As for something to contain your runoff, I simply use those vinyl plant saucers, the big ones, like 14", but anything will do. I see many people use cheap plastic bins that work well, just make sure it’s big enough to fit the pot in.

1 Like

Yeah I think your problem is nute burn. Smart pots are great though so if you were to x plant it would be fine but i dont think your going to see too much root bound.

Oh, and if you want an alternative to the Foxfarm soil, I would recommend Promix which has no nutes in it and is much cheaper.