Need some advice on my grow

I would like to see pics too

1 Like

I am 8 weeks since going to 12/12. Maybe it just seems like a month but it has been weeks with no visible change in the size of the buds.

It seems to me from reading the responses I need to just keep going. What is the estimated time frame from 12/12 light to harvest for WWF. I think my lights are 100w. I have 12 to cover a 3 x 6 foot space. I keep them inches from the plants and raise them as needed. My veg grow always has looked good. I like the LEDs for cost and low heat. I have considered a LED fixture that has a switch for flowering. Would this feature be worth the cost to change?

I guess from reading every ones comments I need to look into Nuc ing.

I wonder if it would help to try and flush the plants.

I am also interested in proven fertilizer systems. ie products and information on amounts( PPM ), flushing etc. Ive used fox farms but am not married to them.

1 Like

You have about 360 watts of total light output. That comes to about 20 watts per square foot.
As mentioned, you will need at least twice that much light if you want the buds to get dense.
The “flowering switch” that you mention is not important, you just need more/better light.

Also, as mentioned, you need to insure that there are not light leaks. Light leaks can lead to herming as well as reverting to veg or not properly transitioning to flower.

1 Like

Lights are the best investment you can make. most folks here have converted over to full spectrum LEDs (horticulture lighting group makes kits you can easily assemble). you have a pretty big space so it may cost some $$. HID are cheaper up front if you can take care of the extra heat they put out.

As far as nutes go, every line is going to be a little different and that depends a bit on your growing medium. For future grows, do you want to stick with soil? there are bottled nutrient systems, there are dry amendment systems and then there are supersoils that should require zero nutes whatsoever. picking a method is a bit of a decision tree so let folks know what’s most important to you or what you’ve found easy or challenging so far.

But for FF, there should be plenty of people who can help you read the feeding charts- i’ve never used them so unfortunately can’t be of help with that.

the number one easiest thing you can do in the next few hours is sit in your grow space, turn the lights off and make sure you don’t have a single tiny light in there. if for some reason your plants are revegging, putting the sun in there with all the nutes in the world won’t help. just start with that to rule that possibility out and go from there.

1 Like

Are you still giving N if you are you can stop, and lighting, lighting, lighting it is the plants food!

1 Like

also just noticed your temps are dropping to 50? growth will slow under 65

Lots of great input. Firstly welcome to ILGM @captb. Lovely looking ladies. I have a couple things to add if ya dont mind.

The lights: as stated a couple times. Ur gonna need more intensity to get denser buds. No way around it. You want ~50w per square ft.

Ph’ing: u said something about strips. Ur gonna wanna toss those strips eventually. They arent the most reliable. Ur plants dont seem hungry tho. So thats not the issue. Id invest in a digital ph meter if possible. Apera and Bluelab make solid ones. The Apera 20 is around $45 and worth every penny.

Timing. 8 weeks since the flip. So 2 weeks transition, then ~6thish week of full flower. WW is said to be 8-10 weeks. But majority of my plants go another 2-3 longer then advertised. The lack of intensity/lower temps has their plant metabolism lower then optimal. So they are growin a tad slower. But look good.

Finally nutes. Tons of nutrient lineups. Its really whatever floats ur boat on that front. But if ur gonna use FF nutes ur gonna wanna flush on schedule. Even if u dont ‘Hammer’ flush with their flushing agent, using 9-15 gallons of straight water PER 3 GALLON pot would accomplish the same objective.

PurpNGold! I was a Baltimore fan for many years. Johnny Unitas was the QB. Now I have a local team so I pull for the Panthers. I do pull for Baltimore when I can as I have good friends in MD

Thank you for your help. I try and digest all the input and adjust as best I can. My girls have definitely slowed their development. Im now learning the apparent reasons from this blog so they next grow should improve.

If you can please just tell me what you use for nutrients. I have a ph meter and read 5.5 to 6.5 is the target . I mix my nutes to the ppm on the FF chart and then adjust the ph. I mentioned my plants have just the very tips of the leaves showing orange. Someones comments suggested this is good showing plenty of food so I have apparently learned how to feed. Flushing has been made more difficult by LST. I cannot move the 3 gal pot outside to flush with that much straight water. ( I am boat captain so I can buy a small pump and rig it to dewater next time)

lighting. When I first tried the bulbs I am using now there was a remarkable improvement. Veg growth was beautiful but the final buds were small and not at all dense. So now it seems I need new lights. I am hoping someone will just tell me the best LED that will give me the 50W per square foot I need. My space in the shed is 3x6 and I doubt I can afford to light the whole thing but with denser buds I should need as much space. Also if you can explain why my listed 100W bulbs are not actually 100W. I am not an electrician

I also am battling temp and humidity. I put in an AC this summer to keep the space from getting too hot. I have a small space heater now to try and do the opposite but the space is not insulated and there is no real control. I will now log the temp and humidity numbers so you guys can help me there too in the future

Thanks again for your help. I grow so I can afford my edibles. Cannabis is the answer to the opiod crisis. Its not physically addictive and helps manage pain, ptsd issues and is even recreational if you so desire. I have been waiting 50 years for legalization

My man! Im a diehard Raven in Mississippi. Mostly Saints fans here. And im also a Cam Newton fan. Go to every Saints Panthers game and sit on the hometeam side just to argue. This year will be kinda expensive tho so im chilling.

Ok if ur reading between 5.5-6.5 then ur using ph strips. Not a digital meter.

This is what i recommend often
My nutrients are organic (my choice) and cheap (im… lets say frugal :rofl:)
Grow (veg) fert:
https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Emulsion-Fertilizer-Concentrate-Gallon/dp/B002RH0B26/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=alaska+fish+fertilizer&qid=1574264167&sprefix=alaska+f&sr=8-6
Bloom (flower) fert:
https://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Miller-100099252-022671705008-Fertilizer/dp/B002YI4ZTS/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=alaska+fish+fertilizer&qid=1574264225&sprefix=alaska+f&sr=8-11
My calmag isnt organic… yet
https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH1772-CALiMAGic-Quart/dp/B00GZRKI40/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=gh+cal+mag&qid=1574264281&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRFRDM0RZM05aVVJFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExNDY5MTEwNU1aVjhTN004QiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTM4MTc3M0NYNUpMMUM5Uk1SSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Lights! My favorite… i use high efficiency Bridgelux EB strips (200w of them) that i used to assemble my own light. Cost me about $250 but i have materials to build another. With the newer builds, 50w per square foot is outdated. Its more like 35w per. Also runs cooler and is amazingly intense. Building ur own with @dbrn32 help to customize it to ir specific budget and area is the BEST OPTION AVAILABLE ANYWHERE. Almost a nobrainer when u see the difference. Horticulture Lighting Group dotcom sells them already assembled, tested, and with a warrantee if ud rather go that route for a few bucks more. How big is the area? How many plants u wanna grow in it? And whats ur budget?

2 Likes

And this gets its own reply. Im in the State Health Officers ear DAILY with this fact. They spending billions and destroying peoples lives fighting opiods. When the OBVIOUS answer is marijuana. For every reason u stated and more. Then this whole vaping thing came about. U should seen his jaw drop when i started talking Vitamin E as the issue. Specifically tocopherol-acetate. And how its the combustion and smoking of said issue (caused by black market vape makers using wrong oils n stuff to make the vapes) and the pesticides/fungicides used to grow unlicensed weed is causing the problem. He got giddy and started listening. :joy:. Just legalize it and put it through regulations like most other products. The issues will solve themselves

4 Likes

Part of the decision tree for determining nutes:

Do you care about organic?
Do you want to water/feed every day or every other day or find a way to go more on autopilot?
Do you want to PH at all or measure PPMs?
Do you want them to grow as fast as possible and take on some of the extra challenges that come with hydro?
Are you ok with feeding to overflow and getting rid of the excess nutrients every time you feed?
Is budget an issue?

1 Like

Moisture retention problems.

Can i add clay pellets to my potted soil mix? I’m currently using roots 707 with A compost that is in turn used to breed soldier fly larve creating a plant and animal compost. This mix retains moisture for a Ridiculous amount of time upwards of 2 weeks. This makes it hard to establish any sort of routine or nute regiment. This has also created a fungus nat problem that refuses to die the only thing i haven’t tried is a venus fly trap. Any advice i appreciate it.

1 Like

@Pjzoomie I would recommend to not water as often, and you could add perlite to the soil. Sounds like you may need to add some sand to the mix too. A combination of those two will help with aeration and drainage. Welcome to ILGM.

2 Likes

I feel bad cause I already have to treat them like red-headed step children, something I’ve almost never done before. I’ve bumped up the temp a bit to touch just shy of 80f brought the rH to a

max of 40 What I mean is I’m giving my plants 4oz-8oz of water usually once a week or every other week to try and keep it dryish.
My soil mix came came with a fair amount of perlite already in it. I also have laid out my potting mix in trays to dry it out as much as possible. But as soon as I plant a seed with a little water usually around 150ml and those little buggers return trying to kill my seedlings.
Also I have sanitized my grow tent.

Bt will kill them, layering top of soil with something like sand will keep larvae from hatching too. And you may be better off with chunky perlite to help aerate your soil.

1 Like

Bt? I will try sand lucky for me I live on an island a stones throw from the beach. Cause the coffee grounds didn’t work.

Bacillus thuringiensis I think is spelling, sorry. There are lots of products that have it.

1 Like

Alrighty then thanks :pray: very much. I have placed an order for the “BT” it will be home just in time for my next crop start. I am getting tired of succeeding in germination and sprouting to have these little SOBs kill my babies and eat at my wallet.

1 Like

Seems light may be your prime limiting factor?

@dbrn32 is the go to guy for lights. You can type @ and the name in one go to page him.
The main reason the wattage thing is, for the most part useless, is because watts can mean many things, heat, wrong spectrum, bad focus of energy due to form factor etc. A modern proper LED fixture, even a home built will crush what you have there. It will cost less to operate and not create unwanted heat. Plus you can veg and flower with 1 lamp!

1 Like