Need soil from Lowe’s or Home Depot please advise

I’m having a big problem with gnats in my soil… the soil I’m using is not as good as I would like… finances considered I need need to use my Lowe’s or Home Depot card to get the soil… that said can someone please advice the best soil I can get from either of those stores?? Or a few things I can get and mix to make a suitable medium… Thanks for your time!!

1 Like

If this isn’t your first grow, I recommend using coco coir, it’s like growing in hydro and soil. You just have to add nutes from the beginning. But I have used, I believe it’s called Nature’s care. It’s made by Mag but without the time released nutes. And diatomaceous earth will help with aphids and gnats I believe

1 Like

I use Lowe’s every year and haven’t had any problems.

1 Like

What soil at Lowe’s do you get??

I’m using the natures care and the earth isn’t working… how did you apply it?

Promix is available at Home Depot. At least in Canada it is.

I didn’t know I had root aphids until it was too late and I just started adding the de to my coco grow. I don’t know if it is because of the de or the coco as to why I don’t have them now. But I believe you mix it in and in top

@Doughbreezy207 Howdy! Fungus gnats are caused by over watering, if you can let them dry out that will help. It’s not so much the ones you see on top it’s their maggots that you don’t see that does the damage. Important if you have a heavy infestation I would suggest cleaning out your grow area because they will be flapping around all over and can re-infest easily and readily. I get my soil at home depot, and I use it all of the time. I love Kellogg’s either raised bed or regular. It is 3 cubic feet and that is a substantial amount. I use Nature’s Care which is 1.5 cubic feet, and absolutely love both and reasonably priced. I mix these together with FFOF, chicken manure from homedepot. This is my last years grow using the same combination.

I also add a generous amount of gypsum, rich in calcium, sulfur and is a surfactant that keeps soil from binding which allows for better water absorption hence better intake of nutes and aids in water retention. I grow strictly outdoors in 5 gal. buckets. Happy and prosperous growing!

8 Likes

@Mrcrabs forgot to tell you out of 6 girls, with no pruning, my yield was 1 pound plus.

2 Likes

So awesome, wish I could grow outside. Great job!!!:woman_farmer:

2 Likes

I think HD carries Black Magic coco if you were still looking.

3 Likes

And the Black Magic soil is good too. My understanding is it’s a repackaged Scott’s product. I used that on my first grow.

3 Likes

Countryside Accents.

1 Like