Need seeds to split in water after 4 days?

Help I put a ww seed into a glass of water on Sunday, I’ve changed the water out every two days with bottled water. The seed has been on the bottom for 2 days now with no tail??

1 Like

Maybe transfer to damp paper towels between plates before they turn to mush? (If it’s not too late :scream: )

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @wilks5387
You should only soak in water 24hrs then either plant it or transfer to paper towel. The seed will drown under water as it needs air to grow.

3 Likes

First off welcome to the community @wilks5387. I would try soaking in a moist paper towel or adding a few drops of peroxide to the water

Edit. Sorry @Spiney_norman

2 Likes

No worries…We’re all family

2 Likes

Welcome! And yeah, best to soak the seed overnight. The idea is to make sure water enters the shell. Once its soaked either plant it a 1/4 " below soil or place in a damp paper towel in a tupperware container until a tail shows. I used to do this but I see no advantage to it. It will sprout or it wont in soil or in paper towel, but I see no benefit in having an exposed root being man handled just to plant it anyway. For the cost of a solo cup and some promix I see planting directly as the best option. Others opinions may vary… you decide its your plant.
Once you do get a sprout in soil, do NOT over water! Its the most common mistake beginners make, in fact, novice growers do it too.
Dont feed until you see the 3 fingered leaves as the seed has all the food it needs up until this stage. When you start feeding do it very lightly, start with 1/4 the recommended dose until the plant is established and well on its way.

6 Likes

Hello and thank you everyone for all the great advice! I have never tried this method and I’m glad only one seed has been trial and error. This is my second ww batch from Robert; the first I did in soil from seed to the goods(came out wonderful), so now I am taking the seed out and for giggles try to save her with the paper towel method. It popped in my head when reading y’all’s comments that I had read that from Robert’s guide but thought it said it can take 4-5 days but no longer than 7. I’ll do this, take a seed that’s unknown I can get like reg. and play with the water method. I’ll post updates and photos. Thank you all again for your help and for making the welcome nice!

Good luck on the sprout

1 Like

Thanks!

@wilks5387 hey man welcomed to the forum and happy grow
first you don’t change the water on you seed if you soak then you just let in the darkness

And let the seed soak for more time in the water is a myth ILGM germinate recommended soak for 72 hours is 3 days

1 Like

And for plant you seed just look if you seed have 1/4 or 1/2 inch tail out then she ready remember tail down on the soil o coco and shield up

1 Like

Okay great, I appreciate it! I went back over the water method and yes, I found it, just overlooked a major key. The full learning process from beginning to the end is fascinating and I’m enjoying it! I bet her sisters will be fine…:wink:

1 Like

Let us know if it hatches!

1 Like

Some have a hard shell :shell: hard to penetrate …

1 Like

Hello again everyone, just wanted to update on the first 24 hrs that my failed water method didn’t crack the seed and I put it in a paper towel. Here is the picture but could you please look on the back of the seed to see if that gray is something bad or if that’s from the paper towel, I’m afraid to touch it Considering how long it was soaked. Thank you

I took the best ones I could and if y’all need more let me know or prefer a video let me know

Looks like it could be from the paper towel or it could be the beginning of a little mold

I suppose you could put a drop of hydrogen peroxide on it but I wouldn’t sweat it at this point

I also wouldn’t touch it. There is a good chance it won’t pop, considering how long it swam but I’d give it a couple of days with the paper towels and hope for the best

2 Likes

Open and drown ? Any nutes use with the water ?

1 Like

I have soaked every seed I have ever planted, marijuana or otherwise. My marijuana grow just completed, spent like 5 days in the water and the 4 that have just sprouted for my second grow, all soaked 3 days min in water. I have had more luck with seeds in a glass of water then I have with paper towel. So many arguments on both sides, always…it is possible that your seed is a dud, how warm is the germination environment. If the water is cold it may not germinate. You could just plant the seed in soil and mist the top everyday till it pops- could take 7-10 days even. Good luck.

2 Likes

Yeah don’t know bro , at this point I trust the seeds , sometimes it happens and there is a bad seed

1 Like

No, I Didn’t use any nutrients except what was mildly put in the potting soil at Manufacturer. It just concerns me because of the amount of days and the shell not even budging. Thanks