Need recommendations for grow light for 4x4 veg tent

Hey everyone, so as of lately i have been posting about preparing a perpetual harvest for my grow room. I did some meaasuring and figured out i have enough space for a 4x4 along with my 5x5 which is a flower tent under a 800 watt mars hydro led. Currently i have a 2x4 in the room with the 5x5 but it didn’t take long to establish that it wasn’t gonna cut it for a veg tent, just not big enough! Anyways I ordered a 4x4 tent so I will use that for my veg tent. I currently have a Mars Hydro SP3000 LED Grow Lights 2x4ft, 300W with 960Pcs Samsung LM301B Diodes Full Spectrum that I used for 2x4. Is this light enough for a veg tent? Im thinking probably not, so im just looking for some recommendations for lights to use in combination with my mars hydro 300 watt for a veg tent. I will be running full veg cycles and keeping mother plants. Obviously saving on power is always a plus, what does everyone think? What lights have people experienced that they would suggest I buy?

2 Likes

I own two Green Beams lights. They make two models, a 240 watt (that’s my 2) and a 480. They are an excellent value for high quality lights, I paid $179/each for the 240s. Shipping is reasonable, and quick.

If money is no object, you can go to HLG which offers many excellent choices. But if you want to spend a bit less, Green Beams is the way to go.

1 Like

If your only going to use the 4x4 as a veg tent tht sp3000 should definitely be enough imo to veg them ypu dont meed alot of light for veg

For me personally i prefer overkill instead of underkill. I run 2 marshydro ts 3000 for my veg tent (5x5) and 1 works for a 4x4. Your budget will play a big factor in this so id go ahead and give everyone your expected spending amount and then decide if you want another small marshydro to fill out your tent or a light that will work for 5x5 to cover any drop off areas on your ppfd map. Me personally id rather get something rated for a 5x5 to put in your 4x4 as ive noticed on the ppfd map the falls off quickly when you get to the edges

3 Likes

Im also one for over kill when it comes to lighting but whats the point of it for a veg tent i mean yeah you wont have wall to wall solid par but why is that necessary when you dont need alot for veg just enough to male sure your nodes are stacking well and not super stretched its also extra money down the drain in electric bills :laughing: :rofl:

2 Likes

@LiesGrows i mean to each is own. Just because you have 4 lights doesn’t mean you’ll use all 4 all the time. When i start veg i only use 1 marshydro ts 3000 and then when they get over a foot tall i spread them out more and turn on both. I also like to heavily train for LST and side to side growth so this works out great. I also keep 2 lights in my veg tent because i upgraded my flower tent with 2 new lights a year ago or so and those lights needed a new home so i figured overkill is better than underkill and they both get used every run its not like 1 never gets used because once they get bigger its nice to give them all room yet still giving them the same light intensity but like i said to each is own. My electric bill aint even that bad either ive been averaging 250-320 a month with 2 lights running 12/12 almost max intensity and 1 light now running about 30% in veg

3 Likes

I never ment what i said in a rude way by any means so i hope it wasn’t taken that way lol I just wanted your logic behind having over kill lighting for veg :smile:

1 Like

No offense taken lol sorry if that came out wrong was just explaining how i do what i do

Out of likes but alls good haha :smile:

1 Like

I needed a few seasons to average it out, now I got it pretty close… almost 30 a month extra since my 4x4 went up. Lights, few fans. No ac no humid/dehumid

1 Like

A nice diy from hlg using qb288 4k boards will veg that thing easy. Dont need a ton and the top end diodes HLG uses are super efficient. Smaller boards give same results as the other guys bigger ones.

2 Likes

That’s the same light I have the ts 3000. So that should be enough for my 4x4? No need for another light?

I run hlg 260s. One Hlg is enough to veg a 4x4, 2 would flower a 4x4. Good luck and happy growing.

1 Like

Anyone ever have the dimmer switch break down on a mars hydro? It’s a fc8000

Sorry that’s sp 3000 for the veg tent

My dimmer switch is broken on it but I think it’s stuck on full blast which is working cause it’s my flower tent. The lights not even 6 Months old and I spent 800$ bucks on it

1 Like

Man im sorry to hear that. If you still have the receipt then contact customer support there should be a 1 year manufacturer warranty but you would be without a light for probably a week or so. The marshydro sp 3000 is rated for Veg Coverage - 3x5 ft and Flower Coverage - 2x4 ft. I would personally just get another light maybe even the same to fill out the rest but thats totally up to you and i would base it upon how many plants you plan on putting in that space. If your not gonna fill the tent plum full id say you can get away with what you have or if you dont plan on having a long veg time it would be fine as well. Vise versa if your having a month plus of veg with a full tent i would want that light gap filled. @dbrn32 what are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

This info is from the manufacturer website should you ever need to find it. I just googled marshydro sp3000 ppfd map and it pulled the manufacturer site up

1 Like

The dimmer switches are cheap and break/fail all the time. Email them and see if they will send you out replacement and their recommended steps to replace.

4 Likes

Ok I’m doing that right now as I have 7 plants on their 2nd week of flower cycle so I can’t really go without the light for even a week.

3 Likes