Need help with Type of Soil

IN regards to Foxfarm Organic soil. You siad that you found one of the Foxfarm soil blends but, it was not the one mentioned. The blend most people tend to like is: Ocean Forest. They make other blends, and all of the blends will work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard that Individual drying is better than drying a whole cannabis plant? Is this true

There is one way to use an amended soil throughout the entire grow. I have done this in the past.

Buy 2 bags of soil/.
Go through you seedling development, and vegetative stage.
Right before flowering; Open 2nd bag and remove enough soil to allow you to transplant the entire plant into the soil bag. You will need a masonry tray to catch runoff after you place 3-4 slits around bottom of bag.

This is easy for me because I veg’ in a 1 gallon pot when doing a soil grow. If you veg’ in a 3 gallon pot; You will have to buy a brand of soil that is big enough for this method.*

• Props to “pflover”. I was introduced to this idea 9-10 years ago by a Moderator/California Caregiver.(pflover held other peoples MMJ card and grew for them) I think plflover, if I remember correctly; Bought bags of soil, then cut 1 bag in half to make a grow bag for 2 plants. Before flower inducement; pflover Would cut open an area in a new bag, remove the plant from the original 1/2 bag, and finish the plant in the new bag.

This is actually such a simple way to grow great MMJ. This method allows you to use a soil throughout the grow without having to add nutrients. However; I am not sure I would not want to add some nutritional goodies after a month or so in flower. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I almost forgot. While reading through this thread; I was so impressed by how polite everyone is here at ILGM. The next thing you know; We will all be singin’ Cum Ba Ya…

1 Like

You could get a regular fertilizer like Miracle Grow, it will work…you will get flowers and trichomes. It is safe, hard to screw up following directions. But even Miracle Grow has special mixes for popular plants, tomatoes, orchids…nothing for cannabis, yet.

ILOVEGROWINGMARIJUANA offers their booster. I got some to try cause I have faith it is good…but for me, expensive. I will be all over this forum with pics and a support ticket filled out if I have a problem, too. I know I’ll get help here, so it is worth it to me. Thing is, I would have gotten help here without buying their Booster.
I also got another popular brand for cannabis to add to ILGM’s after they have started vegging (for when I want to start over-fertilizing), and another for flowering, an A and a B type.
There are popular groups of the A, B, and a C for resin at the end.

There are lots of fantastic labels promising cannabis heaven…save them for after your first real successful grow.

Can I substitute/alter Subcool’s mix?

What do you meant substitute or alter

Does anyone know how long the seedling stage can be?

7-10 days depends on how healthy your plants are honestly some of mine hit vegitative about 4 days after breaking the surface, it’s usually about 8 days before they are getting out of seedling stage

not only can you. but SubCool encourages it.
his “SuperSoil” recipe has been modified many times over the years.

do some googlin’ im sure youll find others versions of his recipe.

Thanks Agent Jay! Nice advice

i would use caution though. SubCool has put a vast amount of knowledge into his recipe. and he himself has modified it at times.
but, removing/reducing additives or adding/increasing, could have undesired results.

if you have a firm understanding of all the ingredients, why they are there, and what they do.
well than yeah, you should be able to do what a lot of people evolved into, creating their own SuperSoil!!

i am not that brave…yet!

good luck.

1 Like

If I use Subcool’s soil. What base soil should I use? Any suggestions

I create and use my own super soil, (modify subcools super soil into my own formula) and actually have had great results but I’ve been growing for a while as well as making my own soil.

Easier said if I make my own super soil (soil with extra organic nutrients, and more than usual soil) I know what’s in my soil for my plants. It took a descent minute to get it right though modifying my own recipe it either resulted in burning or lacking nutrients until a few years ago I found the right recipe and have used it since wouldn’t change a thing about it here is a plant 3 weeks from seed using my modified super soil. This plant is purple urkle she is only 3 weeks old if you modify right it could be a huge benefit

2 Likes

i stuck to the original recipe (site) calls for Roots organic soil.
other similar types of soil can be used. but it was my first time with this method so i stuck to the guidelines in that article.

Do you mind me asking, what is your Soil made up of?

Honestly I will not give you my recipe lol but you can make the subcool recipe to whatever standards you like, add 1 cup of vermiculite and organic orange peel pellets work as well but don’t use to much it will over acidify soil but you’d have to modify subcools soil to your liking

1 Like

hehe, see a lot of this kind of reply on the web.

but, i think it wouldnt matter much.
your recipe is good for you because you fine tuned to your wants/needs. based on all the dozens of variables involved. to assume anyones modified recipe would just “work” for someone else is probably not the best idea.

ill bet, even if someone were to give their specific recipe to others,…they would in turn modify it anyway.
its all about variables. and no 2 grow rooms have the same.

Will I have to add any nutes while using roots organic soil?
Also, can I use the roots organic through the plant stages? Or do I have to replace roots organic with fresh soil if sitting in pot for a long duration?

Well as you stated my soils are blended to my needs and modifying to my standards which are probably not the same as his and i came to this forum first and stuck here liked it from the start never wanted to check out another cause i was here and seen how smart, knowledgable, helpfull ontop of being polite people were and other forums people are idiots dont really have a clue qbout growing lol I’m on this forum only not any other one :wink:, and their are good reason why I don’t share it as well cause using my exact recipe you’ll burn your plants if you don’t know what your doing