Need help with soil mix (new to growing)

So I just started growing about 35 days ago and I believe I’m almost at the point to transplant some of them.
I’m going to put Ocean forest in 3 gallons buckets but I was wondering if I should mix my perlite and my worm casting togther. I read around that some people do layers of perlite throughout or just on top but I’m not too sure what to do here.

Heres a pic:

3 Likes

What medium are the little ones in?
If a seedling mix I would surround the transplant with it. As for mixing OF with perlite and worm castings. Mix it together so it is well blended.

Dig out the center of you 3 gallon buck with FF mix, put in some seedling mix, push it down and to the sides the size and depth of the transplant. This gives it a little cushion so it won’t burn its toes.

2 Likes

So the soil I started with was a miracle grow seed starter potting mix (not the best lol)

Do you recommend mixing some of the miracle grow with it also?

1 Like

Miracle grow isn’t recommended for cannabis. You don’t typically want time release. Look into any of the cannabis friendly soils. Fox farms are popular and easy to use. I think coast of Maine is gaining in popularity too.

3 Likes

Like said above try to stay away from Miracle grow, I transplant my girls from ff happy frog to FFOF, I also do mix in some perlite to help with drainage, seems to work for me. I put on latex gloves and mix it all around before moving my plants in final home, just get a good mixture

1 Like

I wouldn’t add worm castings for several weeks. It’ll increase your nitrogen and it’s not needed right now with the FFOF. @Underthestairs gotcha covered on the the others :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

So every potting soil is some ratio of:

• Peat (peat moss+lime / coco coir / wood fiber)
  • Compost (worm castings / composted manure / mushroom compost)
  • Aeration (perlite / pumice / rice hulls)
  • plus some fertilizer (organic / synthetic)

I’ve always made my own. I used 2 parts peat, to 1 part castings, then about 10% perlite. Equal parts is also popular.

I would tailor the fertilizers, type and amount, to the stage of the grow. So you could basically use the same ingredients to make like a happy frog vs ocean forest, only difference is you’re just a little more generous with the fertilizer.

I’ve heard that the benefits of additional compost over 30% start to diminish. The FF soils are already going to have you covered there so I don’t think additional castings are going to do much for you.

2 Likes

So when should I put the worm casting in, and only on the top?

2 Likes

When I used the FF amended mediums I watered only for 4 weeks and checked the run off PPMS and once those dipped below 900 I adjusted to a 1000 for veg and 1000-1100 for flower and started the beneficial feeding. I top feed recharge every 2 weeks and only use worm castings about every 3 -4 weeks :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

We have a great source for unmixed worm castings. What would be the best % when using FF?

Fox farm happy frog…perlite …happy frog all purpose…