Need help with LST 🙃

Hey guys need a little help here !!! First time grow have no idea on how to LST . I’ve been YouTubing but I get so confused :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: I have broken off a few branches trying to do this . Please help !! Should I just give up ?! I feel like I’m stressing her out

2 Likes

@Dkush94 hy welcome to the community
For your first LST training I recommended make more holds in you pot and tie each Strom stems that had flower or leaf coming out

3 Likes

Ho early she is kinda low still I’d let it grow up a bit taller then just give a slight pull on them diff ways to open it up. Of there is big leafs in the center blocking stuff remove the big leafs is it auto or photo this will make a diff also

3 Likes

It’s an auto

1 Like

Ok watch how much u cut. It will stunt it big time lol. Autos have no recovery time like photos do. How old is it

2 Likes

How high up is ur light. Seems like she is staying super squat which is good but she looks to be starting flower so tells me close to a month old or so

2 Likes

It looks like you broke off one the new main stems from the original topping. OOPS - did I say something like “gently bend”. Like @Mark0427 said, light height is important. A little stretch is good for LST. You want a little more spacing between nodes. The stems have a little more give to them. Raise the light 2-3", let it recover and see what you have. She is close to flowering so you don’t want to beat her up too much right now.
Tag us back from this thread when she has had a couple days to recover.

4 Likes

Ok I will deff do that. Thanks !!

Plants in veg stage are pretty flexible. But as plants grow limbs get a little more Woody and can collapse or break. I always try to be gentle when I Pull and tie down.

5 Likes

Lst is a hard when you havent done it before but u are on the right track but however u dont want to bend a branch or a stem to much to where it breaks ,you only want to bend it enough to allow more light into the canopy so it can help with making more bud sites and new tops ,what works for me is i poke a hole in my pot and then i put the lst wire through and i rap it around the branch i want to bend then i carefully pull it down just enough then tie it off ,or you can get lst clips like these

these work well i use them and so easy to use

2 Likes

Id definitely stick with photoperiod seeds to learn how to lst as you can allow them to bounce back but with autos you only have a couple weeks to lst as autos flower within there first 3-4 weeks of life so it can definitely make it hard especially for new growers just learning like you said tho also you’ve been watching a bunch of yt vids to learn which is what I did also its helps alot but can definitely be confusing sense everyone does it a bit different from the last person I like to learn from multiple people and do what works best for me

2 Likes

You can also “limber up” the branch your trying to tie down by gently bending it back and forth a few times

2 Likes

So I should cut the big leafs ?

2 Likes

Id recommend letting her be as you don’t want to stress and hinder her growth anymore than what you may have already autos can be touchy biggest rule of thumb ive learned from multiple people is that less is more when it comes to autos nutrients training all of the above haha also im currently at the end of my 1st ever auto so im no pro but no beginner either ive been growing photos for the last couple years and finally decided to try some autos

2 Likes

All of the “hands on” techniques are good to know and understand how to do but not always recommended. As mentioned, it will stress the plant and you have to know whether or not the results will be better. If the plant is growing nice and dense by it’s self, I will let it be. Things change as the plant evolves and that determines just how much I try to influence the growth. Main goal is to maximize available light usage by making a flat canopy. Trimming to insure good airflow of course.

3 Likes

If it’s one that had broke limbs I’d wait it out til after flower and all bud sites r formed then do a lollipop and defol don’t wanna mess up the buds forming time and how many buds it produces

@Mark0427 @beardless

This is how she looks now . Would it be safe to cut some fan leaves?

1 Like

Idk it looks good to me. I would wait til u see all the budlets formed then do the lollipop and defol when u see white pistils pop from the calyx even 1 calyx start counting days and roughly 21 days u’ll see it stall a bit like no bud development or anything. That’s when u wanna hit it. And when u do that defol and pop of u choose count 21 days from that day and do it again mid flower clean it all up again then leave it if the first defol works 21 days later should be a fine time then too. If u water here and there if a big leaf covers something important u can remove that leaf but don’t go crazy the more green there is the better the stuffs gonna grow. The leafs r like the engine of the plant. Without a motor it will go nowhere looks great tho so far. If u can tuck some of the. Over leaves thru the center area out or under stuff to expose more centers do that if u can. Otherwise do what u can to pull branches a slight bit to make tops all even at one level even if u have to move 1 to even it out put string or wore on the branch loosely and tie it off in a fire tion it’s not gonna cover something else but it will even the tops then after the branches r set look thru and tuck leaves to expose more site areas. Avoid pulling leaves if u can on an auto til them certain times to avoid stalling them any.

The top looks really nice. Flowers are well exposed. The leaves on the very bottom that are mostly shaded can be removed. Some in center mid plant can also be removed. The outer leaves receiving a lot light should stay. They are contributing to bud growth. This is also the time I try to remove secondary growth points that have very little chance of reaching the main canopy. My thinking is if they will be pruned out later, do it now. Let that energy go to the survivors. I would leave the leaves on top alone unless it is covering a flower bud you want to expose. I see @Mark0427 is replying. Curious how replies compare.
I like the shape and she should produce some nice buds.

3 Likes