Need help with HLG650 R

First time indor grower. Using a 5x5 tent and a hlg650r light. So after looking up info on the light I’m more confused now then before on how to use it. I’ve got 4 clones in it, the light is about 20" above and dimmed down to about 40%… Do I need to increase or decrease height of light? Do I need to increase the intensity of light? Any help for 1st time grower would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Sorry. I run mh/hps. Let me tag @Holmes. Think he’s running qb’s. :+1:
Pics of the plants help too if you can.
:v:

2 Likes

i have that light running at 46 inches above my plants

Thanks for the tag @Oldguy :v: :pray:
I would think 20" is good maybe dim even more for seedlings. What does layout of grow area look like, got a pic.?
Welcome to ILGM forum @Njar

2 Likes

when you use the dimmer the first notch is 75% not 50

1 Like

Just got a new one & haven’t fired it up yet cuz of missing hardware, but on mine there are now 10 notches. nowhere can I find what power is at which notch, I guess the best thing would be buying a watt meter?

What stage are your clones in? Rooted?

you got an 1100$ light with missing hardware? you need to call hlg customer support and converse with them!

I sent them a E-mail & no response yet gonna give em a few more days & then I’ll call. Yeah got it on sale for $1119.20

1 Like

i love that light but if i had to do it again i would get lights i could move around like the kits. i had to constantly move plants around to make sure they got equal light.

I’m using a 350R in a 3x3 and it’s too much light at 40% to veg in a 3x3. I’m in the first week of flower and bumped to 50% of full power and it’s still beating them down after 10 or 11 hours. These new fixtures are incredibly bright! As for OP’s clones I would dim down almost as far as possible and give them 24/7 light until they root. Ppl say roots only grow in the dark and 24/7 is too much. Well I’m not totally sure but I don’t think any light penetrates far into the dirt lol. @Njar

1 Like

So here’s the pic of the plants, yes they are rooted. Lights at about 20" above and down to about 20%

Looks like light stress to me. I just dealt with the same issue. My plants would look pretty good at lights on and after about 10 hours they would start looking funny. This was in veg by the way. After 16 hours they would look like they were dying. I dimmed the light to as low as possible and a couple days later things looked drastically better. They don’t need, especially the clones, high light levels until they are in full on flower mode. If you can maintain the required clearance above your light it won’t hurt too raise it some. I’m running my 350R at 30 inches above canopy.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Raised the light to max clearance 37". Might be able to get another 5 " if I hang the light differently. Also dimmed it all the way down. Guess I’ll see what happens in next week or so.

1 Like

Yes, definitely light stress. Assuming you’ve been giving proper nutes? I’m sure you were but just double check. Light stress for sure. Glad you raised that baby lol

1 Like

2 week update. Some white blotches on leaves. Anyone have any ideas. Its my 1st indoor grow.

1 Like

Have you checked under the affected leaves for bugs, may need a magnifying tool to do this!

Looks like spider mites. Neem oil it is.

1 Like

i used capt jacks on mine. i was also 3 weeks from harvest. i thought i was looking at frosty leaves but the silvery leaves were the bugs sucking my plant dry. i never saw them until i turned the leaves over and took a pic that showed the black specks.