Need help with electrical load and ac/humidifier

I mean this in the friendliest possible tone:

That advice[wattage not mattering] is dangerous.

You probably mean total amperage load should be considered, but many people won’t understand that. And regardless, on a given circuit you look at the total amperage x voltage x 80% to get the safe maximum total constant wattage.

3 Likes

If I had an electrician coming out, I’d put in one circuit for AC that’s 220v, one circuit for lighting/incidental things like fans, and another circuit for a heater/dehumidifier. It’s probably a good idea to drop a fourth circuit so that the heater and dehumidifier are separate. The runs should be about the same, so it shouldn’t be 4x the cost of a single new circuit.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I was saying he’ll want to stay under 12A. I’ve always checked my circuit by the amperage load, never really correlated it with wattage. It’s been about 15 years since my last AC/DC class. Appreciate you straightening that out.

4 Likes

Be a day or so, will do.

1 Like

The builder left lots of the old wiring in the basement. (It’s a dirt floor Michigan basement) Was a few that made me nervous. I had the inspection guy touch the bare wire. I asked is that live? He said no then grabbed ahold of it. Said all new wiring.

1 Like

Have an electrician coming out tomorrow morning. Not over on plant count, and in a legal state with a card. So I guess screw it. Need it done. Did take a tent down, hid the other two. The other I just going to leave up. Few plants in the other tent. Will have him look at the wiring.
Going to have to pay to get wire run anyhow.
Should I run a dedicated 20 or 30?
Will run two acs plus lights and fans etc. I will have clones in my lazy Susan under led strips for a day. No biggie.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are on it!!! I just went through the same issues in my room except for I had no electrical whatsoever. I was running a 12x16 room on 2 extension cords running from different circuits at the house. I was running a portable ac unit enough lights to fill up 2 4x4’s a tv and a radio. I eventually tried to put in a light for the clones and found the limits of my amp draw.

I had it really easy I guess. I ran a underground conduit pulling in 240 from the main and set my own panel in the room ran the wiring and am currently working on finishing up the insulation and the drywall.

Wish I was in a green state and could reach out for assistance lol.

2 Likes

Write out all the stuff you reasonably might need in the future. I’d include a 1,000-1,500w heater per tent, and estimate 35w of lighting per square foot of canopy. That’s in addition to your AC situation. Dehumidifiers have a heavy electrical load, and you want one at some point. Humidifiers have a low load, but fans, humidifiers, controllers, and pumps can start to add up.

It seems obvious that you would not need an AC and a supplemental heater at the same time. Ask if you can get a heater that uses the same outlet or circuit. It’s tough, because in-wall units aren’t ducted, as far as I know.

Make a list. Review it with the electrician, and they’ll figure it out.

4 Likes

So I your opinion, would a dedicated 30 be ok?

1 Like

I feel you. Just want to get it right the first time.
Definitely want a licensed and insured electrician.
All states should be legal.

2 Likes

Thank you. Nice advice.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re asking. It might make sense to run a single line off a 60 amp breaker to a sub-panel located in your grow room, and run circuits from there. But if you’re asking if a single 30 amp circuit is enough for 2 AC units and all the other stuff, the answer is no. Follow my advice. Make a list. The electrician will sort you out.

If you’re still in doubt, come back with their proposal for us to review it before you agree to anything.

1 Like

Got it. So If I have two rooms on the same fuse in the breaker box at 15. outlets in both rooms,total of six. What should I be upgrading to?

1 Like

Not sure if I am 100% correct but changed it over to this if I added it up would be15.47 amps.

not sure. Will let everyone know what electrician says tomorrow. I’m no good at that.

1 Like

I don’t have another answer other than what I’ve already said. The electrician will sort you out.

2 Likes

You’re on a 15A breaker? If you’re pulling that much I’d be concerned as to why the breaker isn’t tripping if that’s so. 15.5A is as high as I would go on a 20A breaker.

3 Likes

I thank you for that.

2 Likes

That would be max pull. Not running it full tilt yet. Running the bspec at 88 watts. The hlg at 400 plus fans etc. I turned down some lights before I cranked some up to see what they were running at full potential. Just can’t run all of them at max blast just yet. Soon though. Excited. Appreciate everyone’s advice.

2 Likes

Like this…

3 holes.
1 intake running to the bottom
1 exhaust running from the top back out
And the 3rd is for an enclosed fixture that sucks cold air in to cool the HPS then exits through the last hole.

2 Likes

What does that look like from the outside?

1 Like