Need help with electrical load and ac/humidifier

That’s not new wiring, FYI. Some may be new. Perhaps they brought the bathrooms up to NEC 2017 compliance with dedicated 20 amp GFIC outlets, but I see old wiring too.

We can’t see the top of the panel, and my guess is there’s more wiring coming into the panel there.

Any electrician can handle what you want. Just ask them to quote a window box AC circuit and (2) 20 amp computer workstation circuits. You’ll be fine with that. Tell them you have two discrete workstations, both running 800w power supplies, and numerous peripherals, if they care.

9 Likes

This is your ticket for sure.

2 Likes

Will snap a picture of the top of it later today. House was completely rewired in 2019.

1 Like

15 amp fuse. Here is top of the box.

1 Like

Three outlets in each room. Fuse is 15 amp and only is for both bedrooms nothing else.

1 Like

Could hear people out today playing ball in the street. Getting close to that time.

2 Likes

1 Like

If I run 2 tents in flower could I put them on from like 11pm to 11am and one on from 11:01 am to 10:59pm to lighten load? Thank you.

1 Like

Your electric usage will stay the same, obviously, but it will cut your amp draw. The wattage doesn’t really matter, 1500w is what a heater can draw by itself so no biggie there. You want to calculate your amp draw

2 Likes

What’s this referencing?

1 Like

It is 15 in the room.

1 Like

Trying to figure out how to ask this because evidently electric is something I am not knowledgeable about.
If I have an electrician come out, do I have to give him access to my grow rooms, or can he do it from the downstairs panel?
That’s the part that worries me.
I like to be discreet, but honestly taking down a few tents and such will be a pita. Definitely will do it if I had too.

1 Like

Depends on what you need them to do. If they’re going to run another circuit then they’ll need access so they can run the lines and connect the outlet. If you want to find out what your load is, pick up a kill-a-watt meter. It will tell you everything you need to know…wattage, amp draw, voltage, etc. If you find out that you’re drawing under 12 amps, you shouldn’t need an electrician, you should be good with that.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

2 Likes

Have this one now. Looking like a tear down before an electrician gets here. Max pull if running all balls to the wall would be 1568.6.
Thank you kindly.

1 Like

You’re not looking for wattage. You could be running 20,000 watts but if your amp draw is only 9 amps, that circuit is fine. So change your readout to amps and see where you’re at.

1 Like

You want 20 amp circuits for your space. I recommend you get at least 3 circuits, if you need a window AC. The cost difference between a 15 amp circuit and a 20 amp circuit is really quite minimal because the labor is the same and the materials are marginally more expensive when taken as a percentage of the whole project. It’s short-sighted to skimp on this if you’re going to upgrade.

Your electrician is going to need access to your entire house, basically. You need to be prepared for that. I can’t predict how they are going to get from you panel to your room, but they need unobstructed access to the entire house while figuring it out. So you should wait until you finish this grow, and then have the work done without divulging what it’s really for.

3 Likes

I beg to differ.

Voltage x amperage x .8 (80% of max capacity is your maximum constant load) = your maximum constant load in watts.

3 Likes

Right, but that amperage is the number he needs to know.

If he’s only pulling 8amps on a 15 amp circuit then he doesn’t really need another electrical drop.

3 Likes

From 2017 on, every bedroom outlet must be AFCI circuits. Every bathroom must have a dedicated 20-amp GFCI circuit. If the electricity was completely redone as the inspector/builder claimed, then those things would be in compliance.

The reason I’m questioning the work is that I can see old wiring. I don’t know who did the work, but I would ask your electrician to review it, and explain the claims the builder made.

2 Likes

Just calculated, guess he should be around 13A. Yeah, he’ll need another drop

2 Likes