Need help with electrical load and ac/humidifier

Seriously need some advice. Room is getting too warm, and will need to control humidity and climate. Summer will be worse as upstairs gets about 12 degrees hotter then the main floor even with the central air on.

When we had the house inspection they said the box was enough to run two houses and they did more than they should have. All new electrical last year. Was builders first flip. Will post some pictures. Really do not want to call someone out here, as I would rather be discreet. Room size is 10x13. I could run a vent out the window, but am not comfortable cutting holes in the ceiling etc.
Need a solution. Any and all advice appreciated.
Thank you kindly.

3 Likes

First step is to remove the panel to see which breakers aren’t being used. Sometimes there’s spares.

5 Likes

You can fab a wood panel to fit window and vent to outside and dissipate heat that way. With large fan blown fresh air in tent next to central air vent.

5 Likes

What light, or lights are you running?

1 Like

Beyond my knowledge. I do not like electricity.
Not sure if it is against forum rules, but if anyone has a electrician in belding mi, that’s friendly I’d like the info. If it is please just delete. Love the forum. Don’t want to get kicked.

1 Like

Hlg bspec 300 L 270w
Hlg scorpion rspec 600w
Spider 4000 450w

1 Like

Then the fans, and want to add ac/humidifier.

1 Like

When looking for a/c look for a small wattage unit and a stand alone one 800- 1500W it shouldn’t overload your electrical. Also get a inline wattage meter and you can monitor if you close to or over powering your electrical system.

1 Like

Could an electrnctian up the fuse if I know what one turns the rooms off? Sorry. No clue about that sort of stuff.

1 Like

Highly recommend to call someone that’s qualified. Last thing I want is someone injured.

10 Likes

True as a lightning strike!!! Don’t know, don’t go there!!! Call an experienced electrician, to easy to electrocute oneself. Your talking up to 440V at the box.

4 Likes

Not unless the wiring from the breaker can support higher amps. The breaker is there to protect the wire. Putting a higher amp breaker in there without the correct wiring will allow the wire to burn up. Probably don’t need to explain why that’s not a good thing, lol.

Oh, and hello from someone that grew up in saranac and spent a lot of time in belding. Especially during macker season.

6 Likes

The others are right. This is not that big of deal, but if you aren’t comfortable, find someone that is. If you were a little closer it wouldn’t be much to drop you a couple of new circuits, then you could run wild.

2 Likes

If I put an ac and humidifier in there and it was too much for the circuit would trip it, or could I run into issues? Or could I plug into a socket outside of the room and run a cord?

3 Likes

An overloaded circuit should trip breaker if everything is done properly. Bringing power from a different circuit would be option, just make sure you are using extension cords that exceed rating of the load.

5 Likes

One of the things I have learned recently is that homes in the US actually receive 240v at the breaker, -120v to +120v, which is then “split” for your 120v appliances and kept “whole” for appliances like driers and stuff like that… Thats why their plugs are so big…

I guess what I’m getting at is even if 120v from one outlet isn’t enough, you could see if it’s possible to get a 240v connection installed (by a professional of course) for that room. :man_shrugging:

Be careful with extension cords and length too… The longer the cord is, the less power it can support. Hot wires = a very very bad day.

2 Likes

This is what you suggested that you can do. Check which breaker is to that room and if it is on it’s own or does it have more loads on it, such as, other outlets or lights that the breaker controls. Plug a lamp in, an start flipping switches at the panel. When you find the right switch, mark it!!! If you let the electrician do this ,more money, more money! And another thing, look at all the equipment you have and are going to be using and writing down the wattage an amperage of each to get a total amount to know what your start point is.

1 Like

What is the number of outlets in this room? And includes light? Find out if 1 breaker is lights, and 1 breaker outlets. And check other outlets on that floor to see if there’s more load on that breaker.

1 Like

are you in uk ? or elswhere is the difference in country means alot

1 Like

No, he’s in Michigan USA