Need help with Apera/nutes

@Graysin @Fiz Attack of the Mutants! As long as they’re healthy, I look at it as character!

1 Like

@1HappyPappy I was planning on getting the Autopots for next grow since this one is already under way. I’ll make sure the get fed/watered daily now. Thanks

1 Like

I forgot to mention, i ph to 5.8 going in of course, but i do not check ppm in or out. I dont test runoff for anything unless there is a problem.
I’ve had my runoff in fresh out of the bag foxfarms 70/30 cultivation nation coco have runoff of 1700ppm.
And i placed my freshly rooted clones straight in it and had no problems.

Alot of times people see numbers they believe to be “out of wack” but the plant will have no issues, and the person freaks out and starts trying to fix something before its broken, and then they create issues…

Imho and others will agree, no reason to test runoff in coco for tds/ppm or ph, unless theres issues with the plant.
Even if ya choose to as it dosen’t hurt, I’d just make log of it and not worry about runoff ppm numbers unless theres issues.
If your watering to runoff daily then there isn’t going to be salt build up and thats the only real threat of high ppm numbers…

High ppm doesn’t mean your plant will over dose on nutes, it means theres alot in there and if it sets still to long it can build up…
Daily watering with good runoff will prevent that from happening…

3 Likes

During the first week or so once I place the seedling in the large container I dont water every day. But the plant grows fast in coco with Jacks so its only a week or so before I go every day. Coco should always be wet. The superfine hairs on the roots will dry up and die if you let them dry out and those roots are all through the coco , even right up near the top. Once they die it takes a few days to replace them. This is what a root up close really looks like.
You don’t want those superfine hairs to dry up because they are what pick up water and nutrients. In soil those are deeper in the pot and watering soil daily is a problem. But coco has those roots all over which is why the plant grows so fast in it. Keep it wet, water daily. I have actually had to water twice daily to keep the plant happy.

4 Likes

@1HappyPappy @Spines_norman Those are great explanations to understand guys! Makes sense & an easier time growing with less stress. Great photo of root btw!! Thank you both.

2 Likes

Yeah i didn’t mention it but I also dont water every day for first week or so. Given them time to sorta establish roots…
Solid information from @Spiney_norman

2 Likes