Need help understanding weights and measures and what parts of plant to use

Hey all. Please read the backstory and then answer only if you can help with the questions. Thanks!

I have some Gold Leaf buds from last year’s harvest (which was my first year growing) that I’m hesitant to smoke as the plant had bud rot. I was super careful when harvesting and made certain as best I could to only dry/cure buds w/o rot. I figured to be on the safe side I’d save them for edibles (which I have no experience making).

This year I had a larger crop but my only strain that made it was Super Skunk. It was a mostly outdoor/late indoor plant. I learned from last year how to combat spider mites and bud rot so this year I had zero mites and I was vigilant with trimming of any sign of rot asap. I did encounter a new pest - stem boring caterpillars! I would pick them off by hand, kill them and tape my stems where the exit holes were with plant tape to strengthen stem and prevent disease (This worked really well). I also washed my harvest with the 3 bucket system of baking soda, lemon water and fresh water (I’m so glad I did because not only did it help remove remaining caterpillar feces, I even knocked off another fat caterpillar that was well hidden!).

After washing I trimmed of fan leaves both big and small, dried in salad spinner and then further dried in brown paper bags (which worked so well!).

I harvested my plant on different days and used a mixed combo of wet/dry trimming. Either way I separated the larger fan leaves from the smaller sugar leaves. (I’m still learning/experimenting with what to cut/keep to smoke).

So…my questions are:

1. What is the best scale to accurately measure a very small amount of herb?

2. When measuring for a recipe should herb be:
    a) Dried and right out of jar - whole buds or whole leaves or whole stems
    b) Dried and ground
    c) Dried, ground and decarbed

3. In your opinion, when making product to use in edibles should fan leaves be mixed with sugar leaves and buds?

4. What are your thoughts on mixing strains for edibles? (Specifically Gold Leaf and Super Skunk).

Thanks!

1 Like
  1. Measure in grams for best accuracy.
  2. C. Dried, ground and decarboxilated
  3. No, don’t use the damn leaves, they contain little THC.
  4. You can mix stains without any problems. You can mix to get certain effects from different strains.
2 Likes

Thanks @raustin.

I realize that my question 1 can be read in two ways. Grams is one answers but I also meant what mechanical or digital scale tool is recommended by anyone.

I’m also very happy to hear thoughts by others!

Thanks

1 Like

Lol, sorry, ok this is the scale I use. It’s cheap and does the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HXKPQL2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

2 Likes

Hahaha this made me chuckle. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Lol, I think I meant fan leaves. LMFAO! :joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I got what u were saying. OP did too. Just the bluntness. Was great for a chuckle

2 Likes

Sometimes these typos are hilarious though. I found that one very funny too.

@raustin

It seems you have this one covered also " Awesome " 1

3 Likes

does this mean that the leaves are pretty much useless for anything and everything? I’m a first time grower from Down-under, Oz-traila, growing for relief of chronic arthritis pain.

And DANG, those leaves look delicious! LOL whilst I wait for the buds to grow, I was hoping to be able to utilize the leaves for something :(:thinking:

The sugar leaves can be used for making butter, but as far as I know the fan leaves are pretty much useless. I think there are some people who juice them.

1 Like

Yup. MrIndica n @GreenJewels were working on teas from fan leaves. I wonder if it has any medicinal qualities that way…

i love making tea from fan leaves

3 Likes

@PurpNGold74. Yes marijuana tea has medicinal value. But cbd is what’s needed in some cases. If so it’s important not to boil the tea or you’ll lose the cbd. I should also add if cdb is what your wanting use bud. If your wanting psychoactive use decarb buds.

1 Like

Thanks @basementstealth n @GreenJewels i wasted a TON of leaves cleaning n trimming my outdoor girl. Will keep the good genetics fans now. How about storage?

1 Like

ive only used fresh leaves for tea. my first defoliations were a rationalization based on wanting cannabis tea

1 Like

Store tea as you would your stash. After drying store in airtight jars in the dark.

2 Likes