Need help on best QB for my Tent size

Size of tent is 2.5ft by 5ft and 6ft tall. Was thinking about doing 3 135watt QB’S or just one 2 board QB 320XL. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

@dbrn32 is the lighting expert on here. Give him a shout out and he can answer all your questions. Glad to see you going with a qb, they are great I’ve got one and you wont be disappointed. Good luck

2 Likes

The 320 XL light is exactly what you need. If you went the DIY route to save some cash you could do three 288 boards in series on the HLG-320H-1750a

3 Likes

Either of those options should work. I think 320xl kit would be a little cheaper.

1 Like

@dbrn32 how much and how hard is a 320 kit to build. I’m not an electrician but I can read a blueprint and understand instructions.

1 Like

There’s a few videos on YouTube. take a look at them and see, not very difficult.

If you can put Lego or Meccano together then you can do a QB.

1 Like

Was thinking about buying each board separately and as the grow progresses thru their grow stages i would add more boards. Total boards would be 3 filling my space. Not sure that is feasible or cost effective? Don’t have a clue on how to set that up! Would it be possible to buy one board and buy the 320w driver that comes with the 320 XL kit and then wire board 2 and 3 later to it? Or do i have to buy each board and the 120w driver that comes with it? If so can i eventually wire them as one?
I had previously bought a MH/HPS so asking the wifey for her thoughts on a new light system might not be so good at this time. Lol

At that point your better off building your own if you don’t go with the 320xl.
I have one and love it, wish it was 3500k rather than the 3000k I have but that’s minor still an amazing light.
Heat sinks can be the most tricky part to find and that’s why I just got a DIY from HLG.
They are super easy to connect, it’s 4 screws, 4 wires pushed into a flip tab and 2 zap straps.
Basically if you can’t build one you shouldn’t be trusted with scissors lol

2 Likes

Negative. The fv minimum listed on data sheet is 91vdc. That means you would need at least two 288 boards in series on hlg-320h-c1750.

If you’re trying to get started without spending full amount now, you could look into building with f-series or eb 1120mm strips instead. Would be more labor intensive, but easier to build half a light now and the other half later.

1 Like

How you frame the QB’s is by far the hardest part.

Pacific Light Concepts i saw carries the strip lights. Are they a vendor you would recommend @dbrn32? Thinking doing the 2ft strips seeing how it’s a 2.5 x 5 tent. Looking at several diy strip light videos for a 2 x 4 they seem to use the 4ft strips. Thinking the 2ft would give me more coverage?
If i do a partial build i assume i would build the complete frame and add more strip lights as my grow progresses? Thanks again everyone

ps Pacific Light Concepts says they are sold out and won’t have the chips in until December?

1 Like

Pacific light concepts is good, just hard to get. You can make 560mm strips work just as well as 1120mm, so either way would be a great light.

2 Likes

Has anyone looked into the ts2000 or a nextlight core series? Ive been watching peoples reviews on them and so far nothing but great with the nextlight and the ts2000 had alot of good but some iffy

@Nicky i am a little confused. On the HLG site they don’t tell you if it’s a 3000k or the 3500k? Wondering if they make it in a 3500k? I see that on the 260 w they ask you which one you want. Nothing for the 320xl V2 at $485.00.

That’s because your looking at the Rspec I think
It’s basically an improved 3k.
Looks like significant more red for flowering and a tad bit more blue.
It will grow from seed to harvest and do a great job, many people do.
Or you may want to start them on something different, I run autos alot so they have very limited veg time so I veg under a stronger light with more blue.
Do you plan to run mostly photos or mostly autos? Regardless it’s a great and efficient light.

2 Likes

I had bought some photos and did a short run because of the heat issues in the Desert here. Wasn’t the right time to start my grow but i wanted to test everything.
Now today i was looking at autos and am thinking they seem a better fit for me. Checking for auto seeds tonight.
My set up now consists of HPS/MH and am considering vegging with them and then for flower to do the 320xl Rspec
Power consumption with HPS/MH is my main concern and the long term cost of HPS/MH so the 320xl seems the right fit for me. Just trying to nail down things. So your thoughts are much appreciated. @Nicky @dbrn32
Thanks

1 Like

What do you feel the autos will fix?

1 Like

I like the shorter grow time vs the Photos. First ever grow so wondering what you think with the Autos vs Photos? 60-70 days from seed to harvest with Autos sounds sweet. My guess the harvest would be lower with Autos? Not a big deal since i am growing only for me.
Living in the desert and growing in the garage doesn’t give me alot of growing time. Thinking i could get 2 grows in now vs probably only one if i go Photos.

In most cases you can grow a photo plant just as fast as you can grow an auto. In some instances, maybe even faster. Several members here have had auto plants that vegged 2-3 months before flowering, then you have typical flowering time. As opposed to photos you can flower after 4-5 weeks.

3 Likes