Need help moving indoor plants outdoor

Plants here tend to reveg especially because you are starting indoors in late April and putting them out from 18/6 to less than 15 hours screws them up here, not to mention cold temperatures that we still have. Lessening my lights by 30+ minutes a week for 5 weeks gets me down closer to mimicking what mother nature is doing. I have friends on big grows out in California and they start in early March, but many gaslight when putting them outside.

1 Like

Trust me on this one in terms of east coast grows. Not to mention a 2 week old plant here would be stunted from the cold wet Temps. It will be 40° and raining for lots of April, with nighttime Temps still in the 30s

1 Like

Absolutely… but still too cold for them to go out… Until mid April it can freez over night.

Yes, I built it for a little less than $500. 6mm sunshade greenhouse plastic accounts for about $150 bucks but lasts at least 3 years

Today is 12h 59m which would most likely trigger an early flower and then it still is a ways to June 20th at 15h 10m.

Make sure all of your plants are outdoors by the Summer Solstice . The months around the summer solstice are the only months that do not have long enough nights to trigger flowering in cannabis.

The marijuana plant only receives between 12 and 16 hours of light per day, so this sudden decrease of the photoperiod can make the plant begin the flowering period in most cases.

1. However, as photoperiod increases progressively each day (by some minutes) until 21 June, marijuana plants will stop flowering to go back to the growing period . This natural process, called vegetative regeneration , is both very long and very stressful for the plant. Plants will then form numerous deformed and abnormal leafs before starting to grow again several weeks later .
1 Like

AAA is correct. A plant that’s only a couple weeks old won’t flower no matter what the light time is. If moved outside immature on light schedule that is growing plants should remain in veg. Our frost free date is usually mid may. I have started several plants and moved them outside around this time without flowering.

2 Likes

@IslandGrown76 @outdooring

I trust you guys know what you are talking about for your climate zones, but our longest and shortest days are the same.

Based on the OG post , I answered truthfully. Based on the post, he is planning to put out in a week or 2, his decision. Unless I’m mistaken the question was about light cycle.

I responded specifically to the question of light cycle. So I can confidently say that everything I said was TRUE.

Don’t want to argue and of course temperature/weather permitting is the limiting factor when planting outdoors. But right now is the perfect time to start outdoor crops based on light cycles, now temps… that’s a judgement call that no calendar can make for the individual grower.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Correct, but you run the risk or revegging as you have 12 hour periods of darkness. Just saying this is how we do it out here :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know best, but this idea that 12 hours of darkness causes flowering is based on indoor grows, it’s all relative.

1 Like

That’s great. I am from the standpoint too that my starts have gotten a great jump on the season because they are getting more light in my grow room. Where I am we start plants 3 week in April and put them out June 20th and still get monsters

1 Like

I don’t want to argue either, just sharing what is most successful here for us

@Cannabian grows monsters outdoors. His plants get 12 foot by 12 foot by 12 foot. Even bigger if the vreenhouse would allow it lol. Definatrly gets some beasts in :canada:

2 Likes

I was just commenting because you seem a little confused on how plants behave outdoors. For instance, outdoor plants by me are usually about done flowering by the time we have 12 hours of daylight.

that makes a big big diffrence i wouldnt consider it an outdoorgrow :wink:

its propably the best and cheapest way to grow!!! free light with controlable climate :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

We have less than 11 hours by the time we pull them. I am aware of how they behave outdoors for sure :slight_smile: to go from 18/6 to 12ish is stressful for them. So we grow them indoors until June and start bringing them outside to garden them off in Early June.

1 Like

Ok, not arguing.

Damn this post took off! Thanks for the info from everyone! @IslandGrown76 the light hours you stated above at 12.59 is right around where I am also. Like you said, our temperatures are still pretty shitty during April so I’ll probably just be bringing them in at night so cold won’t be an issue. I’m really trying to get a grip on getting my overnight light schedule switched to mimic daytime sunlight tho. Any ideas?

@dbrn32 info on seedlings being tricked into early flower is pretty scarce online so I’m not sure about this. You seem pretty confident in me putting these outside as soon as possible. How sure are you on this?? Do you have any data or info that I should look into?? I have a great lineup of strains and would hate to cause unnecessary harm to them you know?

Thanks again for everybody’s comments and help!:muscle:

1 Like

You can decrease by 15 minutes or so every day. I think my plants get around 16.5 hours by the time I stick them outside

seedlings are not sexually mature and therefore dont react to lightschedule. that was the whole point of AAA post :wink:

you can grow a plant from seed under 12/12 from beginning to end, she will only start flowering when sexualy mature…

3 Likes